SOX Resigned to Keeping MANNY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOX Resigned to Keeping MANNY?

The AP is reporting this story on the fact that while the SOX continue to look for takers for MANNY, it's looking more and more like they are resigned to keeping him.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10826363/

c.

I'm wondering which of the three is the truth:

Haven't found any quality trade partners and sufficient player(s) in return for him?

Didn't find any big-name players of value that they wouldn't mind doing the trade.

Just wanted to show Manny that they'd wanted to trade him, but coulnd't find a reasonable trade. Meanwhile, they never wanted to get rid of him in the first place.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
      The AP is reporting this story on the fact that while the SOX continue to look for takers for MANNY, it's looking more and more like they are resigned to keeping him.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10826363/

c.
      "resined to keeping him"

He may mouth off but 1,922 hits 411 doubles 15 triples 435 homers, a .314 carrer avg, a .409 carrer obp, and a vorp of 463.

the #s speek
      ""I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball."
      -Pete Rose

Comment

Originally posted by .406
        "resined to keeping him"

He may mouth off but 1,922 hits 411 doubles 15 triples 435 homers, a .314 carrer avg, a .409 carrer obp, and a vorp of 463.

the #s speek
        Manny had a very good run in Cleveland, but after all those years of Manny being Manny, I don't remember too many people being broken up by the fact that he left town.

Comment

It'll be a hardship, but I'm resigned to his 35-45 homers a year and his 130+ RBI and all that. The burden of it!
          --Annie
          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
          Remember Yellowdog
          ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
            I'm wondering which of the three is the truth:

Haven't found any quality trade partners and sufficient player(s) in return for him?

Didn't find any big-name players of value that they wouldn't mind doing the trade.

Just wanted to show Manny that they'd wanted to trade him, but coulnd't find a reasonable trade. Meanwhile, they never wanted to get rid of him in the first place.
            Matt, there are only a few players who can replace Manny offensively. unfortunately, those fellas aren't going to be traded, so any deal made for Manny is going to leave us on the short side. I'm perfectly fine with keeping him.

Comment

It is tough to trade a guy for other productive players when you are paying a guy at full market value.
              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                Matt, there are only a few players who can replace Manny offensively. unfortunately, those fellas aren't going to be traded, so any deal made for Manny is going to leave us on the short side. I'm perfectly fine with keeping him.
                Thanks for your honesty in this reply.

I'm pretty much asking you the same question as in this thread here about Manny and Bobby Abreu. Pure offense aside, what about defense? I would put Manny as "excellent" or perhaps a 9+ in a 1-10 category, but to me, that Tejada trade had made sense. Not quite as much offense, for sure, but a critical defensive spot would've been shored up.

I'm not trying to tell you what to think, but with a player of Manny's offensive capabilties, I'm mostly thinking are you getting top quality in return? While SS wasn't traditionally a #3 hitter on most teams, at least Miggy is still one of the better offensive--and defensive--shortstops out there.

I'd have weighed the difference in remaining money and how much Boston was paying, but if Boston was paying little of the difference between salaries, I'd have jumped on the Tejada trade, straight-up. It's just my belief that getting a top-tier SS is harder than a top-tier slugging corner outfielder.

I'd also weigh in that Manny may pull his "trade me" stunt once again, and may just decide to duck behind the scoreboard during games, and his defense may not exactly be outstanding.

Enough about my opinions. If you (and other Red Sox fans here) were to consider a trade for Manny, who is a player, or a combo of 2 players from one team, that you'd consider worthwhile?
                Last edited by Mattingly; 01-15-2006, 05:43 PM.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I've responded in the "Abreu" thread, but the truth is that I'm still a holdout for Manny staying in Boston. I have zero interest in him leaving, particularly after the "eventful" offseason we've had so far.
                  "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X