Manny 3rd, Papi 4th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
    I agree with you, hey you may need to defect over to the dark side...because I'm agreeing with you way too much for you to be a Sox fan
    I have to admit that I enjoyed watching the Yanks back in the mid '80s. Lots of interesting players...Mattingly, Winfield, Henderson...of course, if they had been threatening to actually win their division at that time, I probably wouldn't have been too fond of them anymore.
    "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

To chime in, Chris Duncan...I think you're overvaluing the "feel" aspect of a batting order. We'll never, ever know whether this is right - but I think that a player will hit just as well hitting 4th of 162 as he would hitting 2nd, 7th, or whatever.

And I think 2-3 wins is actually a significant difference. Losing three games just because of the order your guys hit is a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Evers
        To chime in, Chris Duncan...I think you're overvaluing the "feel" aspect of a batting order. We'll never, ever know whether this is right - but I think that a player will hit just as well hitting 4th of 162 as he would hitting 2nd, 7th, or whatever.

And I think 2-3 wins is actually a significant difference. Losing three games just because of the order your guys hit is a lot.
        Well I do know, no MLB expierence of course, but there is a feel where guys get comfortable batting in a certian order. Athletes in general are superstious, especially batting order. I'm sure you remember Nomar's pre bat rituatl...so if not doing that effects a guy, then surely where he bats does.
        "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan
          Well I do know, no MLB expierence of course, but there is a feel where guys get comfortable batting in a certian order. Athletes in general are superstious, especially batting order. I'm sure you remember Nomar's pre bat rituatl...so if not doing that effects a guy, then surely where he bats does.
          You could be right - I just don't buy into it as much as others. Managers stick to the same batting order formula so often that we're never going to know whether Player X is a better 4 hitter than Player Y, and that Player Z hits better 3rd than he does 8th.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X