Top 9 Greatest Moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 9 Greatest Moments

NESN is running a survey to see what people think are the top 9 moments on Red Sox history. They present a list of 22 choices, dating as far back as the 1912 World Series.

Top 9 Red Sox Moments Survey

What would be your three picks?
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Chronologically...

1916 Ruth's pitching performance.
    1946 Williams homering in his final at-bat.
    2004 The final out of their first WS Championship in 86 years.

I'll probably forget to check, so I hope you'll post the Hot Stove's results.
    Put it in the books.

Comment

The final out of the '04 WS
      Williams' final-AB HR
      Fisk's HR.

Comment

Tough question. In retrospect, I think Dave Roberts steal, setting up Big Papi was absolutely monumental, but I also remember watching it and thinking it was only prolonging the inevitable.

So I'm going with Curt's Bloody sock game, because that is the point in the series when I finally started to believe that we could beat the Yankees. The final out in the 2004 W.S., because it made me feel like I was on top of the world. And strangely enough, I'm going with Ted's 6 for 8 day on the final day of the season. When I was in fifth grade I read My Turn at Bat, and I remember reading Ted's quote about not wanting to hit .400 while sitting on the bench, and it just seemed otherworldly to me.

Of all the Red Sox moments I've experienced though, the one that really stands out was not on the list. How 'bout the Ted Williams tribute at Fenway during the 1999 All-Star game? I had a lump in my throat the size of a grapefruit watching that.
        Last edited by maximum jack; 02-02-2007, 06:31 AM.
        "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

The final out in the 2004 WS.
          Ted hits 6 for 8 in '41 to finish at .406.
          Carbo & Fisk's home runs in the '75 WS.
          "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
          "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Tough to get it down to three...I picked the final out and bloody sock in '04 and the '16 WS win by Ruth. Awfully tough choices. The individual accomplishments didn't really belong on the list, to my mind.
            I'm highly prejudiced, but I thought that Hellborn's HR to win Game 1 of the '04 WS was a truly electric moment. Looked like the Sox were going to give the game away in typically embarrassing fashion after the terrible D by Manny, and Mark just strode up there and said "Uh-uh. Not this time." Kills me that Manny got MVP for that series...
            I don't know, maybe not momentous enough for an all time list, but one of my favorites. His 3R opposite field shot off Lieber in the bloody sock game was a key one, too.
            Come to think of it, I think that maybe the ARod glove slap and call reversal should have been on there...another moment that told me that things were not going to go against the Sox the way they usually had.
            And, what about Tek giving ARod a taste of mitt?
            "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Bedard
              The final out of the '04 WS
              Williams' final-AB HR
              Fisk's HR.
              I'll have to say those, too.
              "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

Fisk's HR
                Ted Williams homers in his final at bat
                Foulke & Mientkiewicz record the final out of the World Series

Tough choices though.

Comment

Another that should have been on there was Damon's grand slam off Vasquez. That was when I knew the Red Sox would win the WS.

Comment

i'm young, so you'll have to remember that i'm only voting for things i could actually see.

i voted for 4 things by accident, and it didn't give me any trouble about it, so here they are

pedro's 17 strikeout 1 hit performance at yankee stadium
                    dave robert's steal made roberts my favorite player without multiple seasons in boston, and by a big margin
                    curt schilling's bloody sox. if he was a quarterback and did that in the superbowl, we would've spent this whole week hearing about it.
                    david ortiz's heroics in game 5. really waht i meant was the whole playoffs for him were absolutely unbelievable, but that wasn't an option.
                    Gelatin Fernandalism

Comment

3. Hendu's HR
                      2. Fisk HR to win game 6
                      and #1 (drum roll) Last out of the 04 World Series

and as much as i hate to admit it since he is a disgusting dirty rotten trader...Damon's Granny against the Yanks in 04
                      Last edited by Boston Boxer; 02-03-2007, 10:41 AM.

Comment

1) Carlton Fisk's home run. To me this entire game was filled with greatest moments: probably the best ballgame ever played.

2) Final out of 04 Series.

3) Final regular season game of 67 Impossible Dream team OR Ted Williams' final AB.

Comment

1) Damon's grany...I let out a bark and my poor dog has not been the same since.

2) Fisk's homerun

3) Williams tribute at all-star game...I was there...i cried.
                          Family Autograph Thread
                          http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=75871

Comment

Originally posted by kearns643

3) Williams tribute at all-star game...I was there...i cried.
                            You were there?! Oh, wow... what a beautiful moment. I didn't think the players wanted that powwow to break up. I cried, too, watching on TV. I bet lots of people did.
                            --Annie
                            Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                            Remember Yellowdog
                            ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
                              You were there?! Oh, wow... what a beautiful moment. I didn't think the players wanted that powwow to break up. I cried, too, watching on TV. I bet lots of people did.
                              I didn't hear that there was going to be a tribute to #9 and skipped the pregame show...AS Game is kind of low on my list of favorite sporting events, anyway. I did kick myself later when I saw replays of the wonderful moments with Ted and did get a little misty eyed. OK, more than a little...
                              I still have a photo of Gwynn helping Ted balance while throwing out the first pitch saved off somewhere, what a nice moment.

This is a bit of a tangent, but did anybody else notice that TW's son John Henry and Clipper's son Joe Jr. both died not long after their fathers?
                              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X