Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alex Rodriguez Red Sox 3rd baseman in 2008?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
    More money? He is at the end of a $ 250 M contract. Does one really need more money? A normal person, never will be able to spend all this money in his entire life.
    I really, really beg to differ on that.

Take that $250 million. Figure your agent's commission (no idea what that is, assume it's eight percent, but it could be as high as fifteen) knocks that down to around $230, after taxes work it out to, say, $160 mill.

Now, if I had that amount of money to play with, my first purchase would be two homes: a main residence in Manhattan, and a summer getaway in South Florida. I mean, I've been this famous baseball player, made all this money; that should at least entitle me to a place to live and a little summer getaway spot, right?

So let's say I go out and get my Manhattan condo (say, this one, which is the top three floors of a hotel in Manhattan -- nothing so extravagent as its own building, which would be pretentious, but just the top three floors of a high-rise -- that listed for $70 million), and I get my South Florida beachfront cottage (for example, this one, listed at $50 mill).

That's $130 mill gone on just a residence and a vacation home. Now, factor in that I'm retiring at age 40, and have to live on my earned income for the rest of my life, say another forty years... even assuming that I'll get a reasonable rate of return on my investments, I'm still left with only about a million dollars a year to live on. Do you know how quickly that goes?

I, personally (not the imaginary, $250 million me, the actual, broke me), have in the last month had one lunch that ran me $300 and one dinner that ran me $700. Now, those are unusual extravagances for me, but if I'm actually wealthy, I can expect to live like that all the time. So figure $300,000 a year on restaurants.

Now, with my two properties, I'll need people to keep them up for me... nothing too extravagent; let's call it a groundskeeper and a maid at the Florida property, and a cook and a maid at the New York property, plus maybe a travelling nanny to look after the kids. That'll run me about $200,000 a year, at minimum.

Now, a guy's gotta drive. I'm not going to be ridiculous and be one of those rapper guys who has a garage full of cars and buys new ones every two months just for the sheer stupidity of spending. I'll buy a new car, and I'll even drive it around for four years before I get a new one, so we can amortize the cost over a four year period. A new Buggati Veyron would run me about $1.2 million, so figure that's $300,000 a year spread out over four years.

I'm now up to $800,000 of my annual $1 mill budget just on a skeleton crew of help, food, and a car. I'm left with $200,000 a year for everything else that there is to spend money on, and I haven't budgeted in here anything ridiculously over the top like my own 747 or an entourage of 300 or a private yacht.

Do you need more money? No, of course not; as long as you have enough money to afford the meagerest of rat infested dwellings and ramen noodles, you don't ever technically need more money. But while somebody like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet might not every possibly be able to blow through their $20-$50 billion fortunes in a lifetime, and have no choice but to give it to charity, a quarter billion is certainly something that can be run through without all that much difficulty. I vaguely, tangentially know somebody who's ultra-mega rich, with annual earnings in the billions, but not really well enough to know what he does with all that money. But I certainly do have close friends that earn in the millions, and you'd be absolutely shocked at how quickly money can go by.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo

Take that $250 million. Figure your agent's commission (no idea what that is, assume it's eight percent, but it could be as high as fifteen) knocks that down to around $230, after taxes work it out to, say, $160 mill.
      Might not be as much taxes you might think as there is no state income tax in Texas, so during the first three years of the deal, he wasn't paying any state income tax.

Comment

Originally posted by GotMelk?
        A-Rod isn't going anywhere.
        He'll retire a Yankee
        Those days are long gone.

I doubt we'll ever see him in a Red Sox uniform, but an upcoming move wouldn't surprise me at all.
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

If A-Rod elects to opt out of his contract, it would most likely be for more money, and I doubt the Sox will sign him for that kind of money, unless they trade Manny to free up cash, but even Manny's salery looks reasonable compared to what A-Rod might be looking for. But, nothing would surprise me.

Comment

If A-Rod opts out because of the money, he will be the most hated baseball player existing. Having this contract and even wanting more money would be pervert.

If he opts out, it's for a change of scenery.

Boston needs a new third baseman or a first baseman if Youkilis moves to third. And this person has to be able to hit 30 or more homeruns. Because Youkilis doesnt do this at least one on the corner infield has to be able to do that...

After 2007 there will be no good free agent option. If we don't resign Lowell. Or A-Rod will be available. Cabrera will be in 2008, and I'm sure the Marlins will trade him at the deadline for massive prospects, and the team who will do this will insist on the opportunity to sign him to a long-year contract if they trade their prospects...

Boston won't do that. Give up alot of money and give up the farm. Forget that. A-Rod would be still the best option but a few teams will be involved.

At the moment it seems all the reporters are sure that he will opt out of his contract.

It's just amazing that one question on this opt-out-subject has made this avalanche of comments on that. Everybody is talking about that at the moment. Just because of this question by a random journalist.

Yankee fans are afraid of losing him and all the others are just waiting take advantage of him becoming available...
            I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan
              More money? He is at the end of a $ 250 M contract. Does one really need more money? A normal person, never will be able to spend all this money in his entire life.
              It would take care of his family for many generations, "old money" if you will. The interest could pay for every teenage relative to go to college and then some. Plus he will give to charity. I don't think athletes at that level of pay are thinking about "hoarding" the money, the respect of that money is big.

If he has a healthy, productive (given) season, I still don't think he'll opt out.
              (fantasy football)
              JM: Only did that for a couple of years and then we had a conspiracy so it kind of turned me sour. Our league's commissioner, Lew Ford(notes) at the time, was doing some shady things that ... I'd rather not talk about [laughs].
              DB: Isn't he in Japan right now?
              JM: I don't know where Lou is right now. He's probably fleeing the authorities [laughs].

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan
                Boston needs a new third baseman or a first baseman if Youkilis moves to third. And this person has to be able to hit 30 or more homeruns. Because Youkilis doesnt do this at least one on the corner infield has to be able to do that...

After 2007 there will be no good free agent option..

Mark Teixiera is a FA after this season, I say we sign him. He can easily hit 30-45 homers. He will only be 27, and he's definetely the best option. I'd love to have him on the team. Plus he's got a great glove at 1B, then move Youk to 3rd. That would be awesome. A much better option than signing ARod considering that he opted out, and considering the price tag that would come along with ARod. Teixiera @ 1B in 2008! Lets start a petition. lool.

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo

Take that $250 million. Figure your agent's commission (no idea what that is, assume it's eight percent, but it could be as high as fifteen) knocks that down to around $230, after taxes work it out to, say, $160 mill. . .

. . . I, personally (not the imaginary, $250 million me, the actual, broke me), have in the last month had one lunch that ran me $300 and one dinner that ran me $700. Now, those are unusual extravagances for me, but if I'm actually wealthy, I can expect to live like that all the time. So figure $300,000 a year on restaurants. . .

. . .I'm now up to $800,000 of my annual $1 mill budget just on a skeleton crew of help, food, and a car. I'm left with $200,000 a year for everything else that there is to spend money on, and I haven't budgeted in here anything ridiculously over the top like my own 747 or an entourage of 300 or a private yacht.
                  You're missing a few things here. First, what about endorsements? I don't know how much A-Rod makes, but I'm sure it's a big chunk of money. He will also be able to do endorsements long after he retires (Mr. Coffee, anyone?). Second, tax breaks and shelters. Anyone with A-Rod's kind of money does not pay the amount of tax you suggest. Third, you may have to pay for those expensive dinners and lunches, but people like A-Rod don't. In NY or LA or Miami? If you are a celebrity, those high dollar restauarants want the publicity of having having the glitteratti frequent their establishments. I can't remember who said it, but some celebrity said the irony of being a celebrity was that he could afford almost anything, but he got most of what he needed for free-- Celebrity Welfare.
                  "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by Jager
                    Mark Teixiera is a FA after this season, I say we sign him. He can easily hit 30-45 homers. He will only be 27, and he's definetely the best option. I'd love to have him on the team. Plus he's got a great glove at 1B, then move Youk to 3rd. That would be awesome. A much better option than signing ARod considering that he opted out, and considering the price tag that would come along with ARod. Teixiera @ 1B in 2008! Lets start a petition. lool.
                    The Rangers will do everything to extend his contract. I don't think he'll be available...

Plus according to this link Teixeira won't be a free agent after 2007...

http://www.mlb4u.com/freeagency07.php?field=team
                    Last edited by SwissRedSoxFan; 02-09-2007, 12:19 PM.
                    I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes
                      Those days are long gone.

I doubt we'll ever see him in a Red Sox uniform, but an upcoming move wouldn't surprise me at all.

Hey, good to see you back, RS.
                      It wouldn't surprise me, either, but I have zero interest in Rodriguez coming to Boston.
                      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X