Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epstein: Papelbon May Close

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...he_closer.html

Epstein, Tom Werner, and John Henry were interviewed for NESN. Ownership hinted that a closer would be named and Epstein didn't rule out Papelbon.

Even though I think a pitcher that is capable of being a good starter will be more valuable to the team than as a closer, Papelbon closing could make sense. If all the starters survive spring training healthy, the team will have at least 6 viable options, and if the closers role is still an issue, might as well go with what's worked and put Papelbon in there and let Lester be in the rotation. Ideally though, I think the team would rather have one of the other candidates emerge as the closer and have the superfluous starter because you know at some point there will be an opening in the rotation due to injury.

Comment

Originally posted by vtbub

Epstein, Tom Werner, and John Henry were interviewed for NESN. Ownership hinted that a closer would be named and Epstein didn't rule out Papelbon.

I don't see it happening.

Comment

Well, if this happens.. forget top 10 for epstein, try bottom 5. h
        Last edited by Westlake; 02-20-2007, 01:13 PM.
        Originally posted by Domenic
        The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Westlake
          Well, if this happens.. forget top 10 for epstein, try bottom 5. :uggh

You don't have much trust stocked into the front office, do you? Epstein has already done what he set out to do: win a championship, and rebuild the farm system.

Comment

Originally posted by winningtheweapon
            You don't have much trust stocked into the front office, do you? Epstein has already done what he set out to do: win a championship, and rebuild the farm system.
            No, I dont. I'm not going to give Epstein a free pass because he made some good moves 3 years ago, which is what you seem to be doing. It's 2007, time to stop giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think he has made terrible trades and signings over the last year and a half... farm system does look good, however.
            The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

No, I dont. I'm not going to give Epstein a free pass because he made some good moves 3 years ago, which is what you seem to be doing. It's 2007, time to stop giving him the benefit of the doubt. I think he has made terrible trades and signings over the last year and a half... farm system does look good, however.
              What terrible trades are you speaking of? And no I'm not giving him a pass, I'm just being reasonable because all of Theo's objectives have been making progress every year.

Comment

The only things that I can think of that are "terrible" was the Mirabelli for Bard and Meredith trade which we were desperate at that point, and the Drew signing I would consider terrible since it's for so much money. Everything else has been pretty good.

BTW I think this has alot to do with how far ahead Lester is. If Lester wasn't healthy Papelbon would be starting.

Comment

What terrible trades are you speaking of? .

Really? I thought we have talked about this before. Add some singings in too.

1. Trading Anibal, Hanley, and 2 minor leaguers for Beckett, Lowell, and Mota
                  2. Trading Meredith and Bard for Mirabelli
                  3. Trading Arroyo for Pena
                  4. Trading Adam Stern for Javy Lopez
                  5. Trading Byung-Hyun Kim for Charles Johnson and Naveson
                  6. Trading for Mike Remlinger
                  7. Trading for Mike Stanton
                  8. Signing Rudy Seanez
                  9. The Coco trade isnt looking too good, but I'll reserve judgement.
                  10. Trading for Jason Johnson
                  11. Not re-signing Orlando Cabrera
                  12. Signing Edgar Renteria
                  13. Trading Nomar Garciaparra and Matt Murton for Doug M. and David Roberts. (This trade looked good in October in '04 because they won... but did they win BECAUSE of this trade? I dont think so... Traded a SS that has a lifetime average of .320 and a young OF that can hit for power and average for two .250 hitters that were gone 2 months later anyway.)
                  14. Signing Matt Clement

Of course he has had his share of good moves, but over the last couple years it seems like the bad was much outweighed the good.

Comment

13. Trading Nomar Garciaparra and Matt Murton for Doug M. and David Roberts. (This trade looked good in October in '04 because they won... but did they win BECAUSE of this trade? I dont think so... Traded a SS that has a lifetime average of .320 and a young OF that can hit for power and average for two .250 hitters that were gone 2 months later anyway.)
                    14. Signing Matt Clement
                    I'll comment on the others later on when I get home from work, but yes that trade did help them win the championship. If you remember, Nomar was milking out his injuries before he was traded and detriorating team chemistry. Of course you could make the argument that if it wasn't for Grady Little's brain lapse that Nomar would of been on the team with the Red Sox in the World Series in '03, but from '04's standpoint those trades helped.

Comment

I'll comment on the others later on when I get home from work, but yes that trade did help them win the championship. If you remember, Nomar was milking out his injuries before he was traded and detriorating team chemistry. Of course you could make the argument that if it wasn't for Grady Little's brain lapse that Nomar would of been on the team with the Red Sox in the World Series in '03, but from '04's standpoint those trades helped.
                      You don't know how they would have done had they not made that trade. They won, and i'm glad they did, but no one really knows how it would have turned out without that trade. They could have won, could have lost.

No, I dont remember Nomar 'milking out' his injuries, since that was just some media speculation that was completely blown out of proportion. Also, he
                      wasn't detiorating team chemistry. That's another thing the media threw out there and every body ate up. Sure he wasn't the same old laughing and joking Nomar, but he wasn't doing anything that would have killed team chemistry, all he was doing was sitting there.

When it comes down to it, I see a guy that could have been a HOF shortstop and a good young outfielder being traded for an a slighty above average shortstop and a utility player.

Also, I dont really need you to comment on every move he has made, because I know all you will give the reasoning behind them. I know the reasoning. Every trade in sports history has reasoning. Does that mean there are no bad trades or signings? No.
                      Last edited by Westlake; 02-20-2007, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vtbub

I doubt it. The medical crew said that Papelbon should not be closing, and according to numerous sources, Francona says he will listen to the medics.
                        "He studied hitting like a broker studies the stock market, how a scribe studies the scriptures" - Carl Yastrzemski on Ted Williams

"The greatest clutch hitter in Red Sox history has done it again! Big Papi!" - Don Orsillo's call of Ortiz's walk-off single

Comment

You don't know how they would have done had they not made that trade. They won, and i'm glad they did, but no one really knows how it would have turned out without that trade. They could have won, could have lost.

No, I dont remember Nomar 'milking out' his injuries, since that was just some media speculation that was completely blown out of proportion. Also, he
                          wasn't detiorating team chemistry. That's another thing the media threw out there and every body ate up. Sure he wasn't the same old laughing and joking Nomar, but he wasn't doing anything that would have killed team chemistry, all he was doing was sitting there.

When it comes down to it, I see a guy that could have been a HOF shortstop and a good young outfielder being traded for an a slighty above average shortstop and a utility player.

Also, I dont really need you to comment on every move he has made, because I know all you will give the reasoning behind them. I know the reasoning. Every trade in sports history has reasoning. Does that mean there are no bad trades or signings? No.

They probably would of not won it all. Oh, and what has Nomar exactly done since being traded? Not much, although he had a nice bounce back year with the Dodgers this season. Good for him.

Comment

1. Trading Anibal, Hanley, and 2 minor leaguers for Beckett, Lowell, and Mota
                            Having one good rookie seasons mean Anibal and Hanley and Beckett having one terrible season made that deal "horrible" from your point of view? Sorry, I'll wait for more time before passing judgement on this deal. One good season from two players involved and one bad season from one player involved doesn't make this trade horrible. At the moment, it doesn't look good.

Beckett could go 18-8 with a ERA 3.00 while Anibal and Hanley could flop next season. One good season from the people you dealt and one bad seasons from the person just doesn't make this deals horrible. Especially if we're discussing young players, which we are.
                            2. Trading Meredith and Bard for Mirabelli
                            This move is clearly already bad and will remain bad since Mirabelli isn't that good.
                            3. Trading Arroyo for Pena
                            Arroyo a middle of the rotation pitcher. Pena a possible power hitting outfield who's developing. I'm not quite sure how this trade horrible. A lot of people ignore the fact Arroyo wasn't that great after the break and he's pitching in a weaker league. Let's see how good Arroyo's numbers would look against Tornoto and New York.
                            5. Trading Byung-Hyun Kim for Charles Johnson and Naveson
                            Kim had one good season with Boston. Not sure how exactly this is a bad trade considering at this point, Kim was flipping people off in Boston.
                            I wonder if Alex Cora could have stolen 2B during Game 4 during ALCS? Good defense gave the pitchers more confidence and it showed. Roberts gave the team speed that's clearly unknown to Boston. So, not quite sure what you're trying to imply here.

I love Nomar, but seriously, Nomar had his first full season just last season in like 4-6 years? I don't even remember Nomar last fully healthy season before last season. Not to mention his lack of motivation, just sitting there during 04, after 03 winter when the club tried to trade him for A-Rod. Not to mention rejecting our contract extention.

So, don't trade him, let him walk and get nothing?
                            You don't know how they would have done had they not made that trade.
                            Neither do you. Speculating those deals had nothing or little to do with the club winning that season seem hypocritical when you say that to another person.

Anyway, on topic, I prefer Papelbon to start next season. I, too, find a starter much more valuable than a closer could be. Of course, we do have a lack of a closer, but after what happen to Papelbon last season, I prefer the team not taking that gamble with Papelbon.

Comment

Originally posted by keepthefaith3
                              I doubt it. The medical crew said that Papelbon should not be closing, and according to numerous sources, Francona says he will listen to the medics.

I don't have any source for this, but I guarantee that's just not right. All it was, is that Papelbon is a starter, and Boston wanted him as a starter. I bet they figured they would trade for a closer, and everyone wouldn't worry about it, but after last season they couldn't just move Pap to a starter since he was SO good as the closer, so when he hurt his arm, they used it as an excuse so that they could justify moving him to the rotation. If the doctors REALLY thought that, they wouldn't even entertain the idea of moving him back.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X