No announcement yet.

Epstein: Papelbon May Close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winningtheweapon, you should let the subject die. Or, start another topic since we completely went off-topic since this topic to discuss Papelbon, not Theo's past moves. You should let it die or start another topic.

Yeah, I'm done with the discussion, too. Unless a topic created.

ChrisDuncan, I would like to discuss the topic further dealing with Beckett, but don't want to get too carried away and stray away from the topic at hand. So, going to decline to comment. I might make a topic though.

Anyway, finally moving back on topic, if Papelbon didn't get injuried last season and wanted to start this season, I would be against it, because we lack a closer and have much depth in rotation. Though, we thought we had much depth last season, too. Still, Pineiro, Lester and Tavarez isn't back for back-up starters behide the current rotation. I don't feel we have a person we can trust with the ball for the final inning either, except Papelbon at the moment.

While he's not ruled out, I don't see him closing this season, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by winningtheweapon
      Huh? Here's the play by play data for the bottom of the 9th of that game.

Yankees 4, Red Sox 3

RED SOX 9TH: Millar walked; ROBERTS RAN FOR MILLAR; Roberts
      stole second; Mueller singled to center [Roberts scored];

Yankees 4, Red Sox 4

Without that stolen base, it's nobody on and 1 out against a dominant closer in Rivera with no pressure of a runner on anymore and Mienty batting next who isn't exactly David Ortiz.

Ok, why does Mueller not get a hit because Roberts doesnt steal a base? Where did that out come from? Millar walks. Mueller singles. Its first and third with NO outs. What are you talking about?

And you're basing this on strictly 700 plate appearances? Albeit he had a decent year, he still struck out 128 times. Not very All-Star esque.

Wow... I mean.. why are you going in circles? AGAIN, I said this was BEFORE this season. Im not basing it on this season. And how exactly is a Rookie of the Year season "decent"?

It was in the National League, and who else in that division is championship or even playoff caliber besides the Cardinals? Nobody. Actually the Cardinals weren't even that great during the season this year:

Final 2006 NL Central Standings:

Cardinals: 83-78 .516
      Astros: 82-80 .506
      Reds: 80-82 .494
      Brewers: 75-87 .463
      Pirates: 67-95 .414
      Cubs: 66-96 .407

4 out of the 6 teams below .500, and two of the six no more than 5 games above .500. Can you say weakest division in baseball? Yes, it was last year with a measley .467 average winning% in the division, the worst in baseball. So yes, average pitchers can look good in a weak division.

Ahem....

Start effectively? 18 gophers in 27 starts is starting effectively? Give me a break.

How in the world does steller equal start effectively? I mean seriously.. you're twisting what I say to a pretty far extent. Also, stop with the HRs. Look at how many HRs Schilling gives up and tell me hes not effective. K?

Start a thread if you want to continue this. we've gone way off topic, and you keep throwing everything in a spin cycle.
      Originally posted by Domenic
      The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Originally posted by winningtheweapon
        Which is why PETCOA is a terrible projection system.

Actually it's the most accurate around. Also those ERAs are in equivalent projections, I forgot to add that. That's his ERA with a league ERA of 4.5, which isn't all that bad.
        "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Agree with Evangelion. If the medical people say better not to close, don't risk JP re-injuring the arm, perhaps seriously.
          Last edited by CuriousBoston; 02-28-2007, 10:28 AM.
          Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
          Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

That's what they said, but I don't believe that for a second. If he could really be seriously injured from being a reliever they wouldn't even think of moving him back to the pen.

Comment

They need to keep Papelbon in the rotation because he's more valuable there, plus that was their projection all along. You also have to add in the fact that the possibility of Cox, Masterson etc. being integrated into this pen late in the season or at the start of next season that one of those two will turn out a bullpen ace and being reliable as an everyday closer.

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousBoston
                Agree with Evangelion. If the medical people say better not to close, don't risk JP re-injuring the arm, perhaps seriously.

Hey CB! Great to see ya!

To me, it's as simple as that, too. I'm not a doctor, and I assume these doctors know what they're talking about.
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Hi! Thank you!

Originally posted by SoxSon
                  Hey CB! Great to see ya!

To me, it's as simple as that, too. I'm not a doctor, and I assume these doctors know what they're talking about.
                  Francona said the meds said, JP should not be bullpen, every five days best for his arm, and Francona intends to do that. (From Edes, Globe.)

I was at Fenway the first time he pitched... a young Clemens; went home to see the replays....he's married, so they should start making pitchers, and sign them at birth. I'm a firm believer in the farm system.

SoxSon, just point me to the... ah... lively threads....heh..

Comment

He is right....

Originally posted by Jager
                    I don't have any source for this, but I guarantee that's just not right. All it was, is that Papelbon is a starter, and Boston wanted him as a starter. I bet they figured they would trade for a closer, and everyone wouldn't worry about it, but after last season they couldn't just move Pap to a starter since he was SO good as the closer, so when he hurt his arm, they used it as an excuse so that they could justify moving him to the rotation. If the doctors REALLY thought that, they wouldn't even entertain the idea of moving him back.
                    That's exactly what Francona said. The press conference did not include Francona. Docs said safer for JP to pitch every five days instead of getting up and down, ruling out relief or closing. Francona was firm he would rely on docs.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X