Manny for Abreau?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny for Abreau?

Please tell me this doesn't happen? Bobby Abreau is a good ball player, but he is nowwhere near Manny's ability. I really hate the Boston brass right now, this better not happen so help me god....
    If this trade happens, the Sox season is officially lost, they'd be lucky to finish above the Devil Rays. Anybody else have some thoughts on this?
    Back to being underdogs

Not really sure where you're getting that from. Yes, obviously, you hate to lose a hitter like Manny no matter what you're getting back for him, but Abreu is quite a lot to be getting back. A guy who can consistently hit .300/.400/.500 with 30 steals and great defense in RF? I mean, honestly, what more can you ask for from Manny? The previous big rumor was Manny for Tejada, and I'd possibly take Abreu over Tejada. What better offer do you think you're going to get?
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

I don't want to get rid of Manny, that's why I don't want Abreau. Bobby is solid, don't get me wrong, but nobody can replace Manny's offensive production.
      Back to being underdogs

Comment

Obviously Manny is a more talented hitter than Abreu, but Abreu is still a top hitter. The Red Sox would still do well, and might even still win the division since their bullpen is so strong now.
        ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
        ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

Manny know for his offensive superiority and also know for being productive each year. Manny post his gaudy numbers each and every year since coming to Boston and during his days with the Indians. Manny is not know for his poor defense, as we all know. I've said many times before, but Manny only has a lot of outfield assists due to playing in Fenway Park. Manny also is not for his speed, but regardless the Red Sox are not a team that run.

With that said, Abreu is more rounded player. Who will probably hit between 280.-300. each season, hit around 20-30 HR a season, should have around 80-100 RBI and have around 25-35 SB. Of course, be an defensive upgrade over Manny. Regardless, I would keep Manny over Abreu any day. Abreu won't steal with the Red Sox since it's not how the Red Sox operate, similar to what the Mets did with Beltran. I will take the superior offensive abilities over Rameriz over Abrue's good defense and good speed.

It won't be a bad deal, but I want Manny out there over Abrue.

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
            Not really sure where you're getting that from. Yes, obviously, you hate to lose a hitter like Manny no matter what you're getting back for him, but Abreu is quite a lot to be getting back. A guy who can consistently hit .300/.400/.500 with 30 steals and great defense in RF? I mean, honestly, what more can you ask for from Manny? The previous big rumor was Manny for Tejada, and I'd possibly take Abreu over Tejada. What better offer do you think you're going to get?
            Considering that no matter what, the Red Sox are going to come out on the short end, so I'd rather see the Sox keep Manny than trade him. There's no way he gets as long of a leash with another team than he has with the Sox.

Comment

Manny for Abreu and who else?
              "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

How is everybody? Long time no talk!

If the deal with Manny and Abreu happens, at least we are getting a solid, solid player in return. Abreu does bring elements to the game that Ramirez just can't.
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
                  Abreu won't steal with the Red Sox since it's not how the Red Sox operate, similar to what the Mets did with Beltran.
                  Not really accurate. In most years, the Mets have operated a lot like the Sox, station to station. But in 2005 they were very aggressive in stealing bases under Willie Randolph. They led the NL by far (153), thanks mainly to José Reyes (60, second only to Chone Figgins in MLB).

Beltrán's 17 SB was a low number for him mainly because a quad injury nagged him most of the year.

Comment

Beltran had a leg injury all year, so that was probably why he had fewer steals last season in comparison to previous years.
                    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
                    ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon

If the deal with Manny and Abreu happens, at least we are getting a solid, solid player in return. Abreu does bring elements to the game that Ramirez just can't.
                      Hey Soxson, welcome back!

Comment

Originally posted by pesky6
                        Considering that no matter what, the Red Sox are going to come out on the short end, so I'd rather see the Sox keep Manny than trade him. There's no way he gets as long of a leash with another team than he has with the Sox.
                        By "no matter what", are you referring to "no matter who they trade for", or were you referring to "whether we trade him or not"? If the former, you'd definitely come out on the short end, since I don't think that Pujols will be available anytime soon.

If the latter, I don't expect that Tejada or Abreu will replace Manny's offense, but I think that defense shouldn't be overlooked. I'm not too sure how Abreu's defense is, but you may try posting on the Phillies' forum here to see what they think of him.

I don't think that the Red Sox could expect a single player to equal Manny's offensive production, but then again, you're not being given chopped liver or chump change in return. Up to you.
                        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon

Dude! Where ya been? I was wondering about you.

I haven't followed Abreu much, so what are the things that he does that Manny doesn't?
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Blah, thanks for correction, VIBaseball.

We'll see how Beltran does on the bases this year. Keep forgetting the Mets are no longer setup with brutal power, but have all around balance team on the offensive side.

Comment

Short of Miguel Tejada, Bobby Abreu is probably the best player the Sox can get for Manny. Abreu is a very good all-around hitter in his own right (will hit around .300 with 30 homeruns, and drive in over 100), but he's also a terrific fielder with a great arm and a very good baserunner, as he'll steal 30-40 bases. He's also a couple of years younger than Manny. All and all, he does not have Manny's bat (but so few players do), but Abreu is probably a better all-around player than Manny. Though in this case, I'd still prefer to keept he Manny/Ortiz combo together since there is not a better and more lethal offensive 1-2 punch in baseball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X