No announcement yet.

Manny for Abreau?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I don't dispute that fielding does not come naturally to Manny, and he has a predilection for spacing out, I do dispute the statement that he is lazy. Teammates, coaches, his managers, writers -- even the cannibalistic Boston writers -- have pointed out that Manny often arrives early and takes hours of extra practice in the field. Back when he talked to the press he said he wished he could be known for his fielding as well as for his batting. I don't think he's necessarily lazy...I just think he hasn't got a natural talent for fielding. He does what he can within the limits of the talent he has in this area. And once in a while he does something spectacular and surprises us all... And then he lopes after a ball and over-runs it, or drops it... For the offense he brings, I'll forgive his failings in the field.

Now, this habit of not running out popups.... that deserves a kick in the pants. 'Course, in his next at-bat, he might go first to third on a short single to right... who knows?

He's far from perfect, but I'd rather he stayed in Boston, thank you.
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
      While I don't dispute that fielding does not come naturally to Manny, and he has a predilection for spacing out, I do dispute the statement that he is lazy. Teammates, coaches, his managers, writers -- even the cannibalistic Boston writers -- have pointed out that Manny often arrives early and takes hours of extra practice in the field. Back when he talked to the press he said he wished he could be known for his fielding as well as for his batting. I don't think he's necessarily lazy...I just think he hasn't got a natural talent for fielding. He does what he can within the limits of the talent he has in this area. And once in a while he does something spectacular and surprises us all... And then he lopes after a ball and over-runs it, or drops it... For the offense he brings, I'll forgive his failings in the field.
      I think you're right, Annie. I think that Manny is just "hardwired" slower than many players. I think hustle has a different meaning to him, so lazy isn't the right word.

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
      He's far from perfect, but I'd rather he stayed in Boston, thank you.
      Also agreed, wholeheartedly.
      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

That blown deal: Ramirez/Tejada/Prior would potentialy have been the biggest trade in this decade........

Manny Ramirez is the player you want when your team is down one run in the 9th inning. He's the one.
        Everyone started opening their eyes when Bobby Abreu won that Home Run derby, let me tell ya something, It Doesn't Mean Anything!!!!

The guy can't hit when you really need him to.
        REMEMBER THE EXPOS

Comment

a gold glover and a guy that cant hanle the small corner in boston... huh

Well Abreau is a huge defensive jump from Manny. I like Manny's hitting, but Abreau could post similar numbers playing in Boston; lets not forget how much that monster helps a players power numbers. I am expecting Loretta to hit 15 homers next year. I think if Philly takes that huge attitude and huge contract they would be foolish.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X