Sox sign Willie Harris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sox sign Willie Harris

The Sox landed a guy who can play all the infield positions (giving us, by my count, about 35 infielders) and the outfield a bit too, and can swipe a base when needed.

Sox Sign Harris to One-Year Deal

I don't think this solves our center fielder problem; I've heard rumors that Jay Payton may be on the radar.
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
    I don't think this solves our center fielder problem; I've heard rumors that Jay Payton may be on the radar.
    Wasn't Jay Payton unhappy in Boston last year? Maybe it'll be better this time since he'd be the starter.

Comment

That's the theory... Lemme see if I can dig up the article where I read about it.

EDIT -- Found it:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...her/?page=full

At least one major league executive wonders whether David Wells will become a major distraction for the Sox and refuse to report at the start of spring training. The Dodgers no longer are involved in a possible three-way for Wells, in which the Sox would have sent him to Oakland for outfielder Jay Payton and Billy Beane would have flipped Wells to LA for prospects. Sox manager Terry Francona has told club officials that he would not stand in the way of Payton's return, despite the ugly encounter they had in Texas last season that preceded Payton's trade to the A's. Payton was a part-time player then; he'd be returning as a starter...
      Last edited by VTSoxFan; 01-19-2006, 05:52 PM.
      --Annie
      Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
      Remember Yellowdog
      ABNY

Comment

I'm pulling for Willie Harris here.

I wish him nothing but the best as he officially changes his Sox.

If he does make the ML roster,and he can get his OBP up,he could steal about 30 bases for you guys.He can play the OF if needed,but he's primarily a 2B.

You guys take care of him now.:gt

Comment

i think he is capable of stealing 30, but he won't with us...we just do not run for some reason

Comment

Wasn't Jay Payton unhappy in Boston last year? Maybe it'll be better this time since he'd be the starter.
            That's probably why he would come back since he would be starting in CF.

Harris will still be a nice pinch runner. Dave Roberts in 04 ALCS, anybody?

Nice pick-up by the Sox, but still doesn't solve on CF issue.

Comment

Harris, in his brief career, has actually played 104 games in CF, the second most at any position for him (he's played 174 at 2B). Perhaps the Sox are considering him to be the answer? He's only 28, has good speed, and might hit for decent average if given a full-time shot (though I wouldn't expect more than .270). However, his range factor is below average, and miles below average in CF, as is his fielding percentage. In all, I'd say he looks like an aspiring Tony Womack, but that may be over-estimating Harris' ability. Then again, Harris hasn't really had a full shot, so it's tough to tell what he would do over a season or two.

Comment

I don't know. At this point, Harris could be made the starting CF, not a move I would be too happy with. Harris did get a serious chance in 2004, but posted up pretty medicore level numbers. He does have speed, which would you it would make up for his fielding, but doesn't all that much. From what I've seen from his numbers, he does strike out quite often, too. While he has not get many chances, I really not too high on Harris being a starter.

I guess this is a better option than Adam Stern, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion
                  I guess this is a better option than Adam Stern, I guess.
                  That's what I was originally thinking. But the more I thought about it, I think the Sox would be better served giving Stern a shot at this point. He's only 26 and we really have no idea what he can do if given real playing time at the Major League level. Maybe he'll surprise. Rushing up Brandon Moss may also be an answer.

As for Willie Harris. The more I think about him, the more I think he's a Tony Womack in the making, but without Womack's few good seasons. So in all, that's not saying much at all about Harris' ability.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X