• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therwil Flyer
    #firedavedombrowski
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
    Yes on Swihart, no on Marrero and Vasquez. They both have weak bats and very good defense. Vasquez doesnt make enough contact and Marrero should handle A-ball by now given his age, but doesnt.

Also, Bryce Brentz has become a Delmon Young type. Good power, but a really bad bb-k-ratio, that leads to bad batting average and OBP. He has to improve quickly, if he wants to be a part of the OF in 2014...
    Power is the latest to develop. Marrero has a good approach and good batting eye. Probably will never develop much power though. I was shocked the Sox didn't overpay for any light hitting shortstops in this year's draft or international signings.

Brentz is not quite Young-esque as he is still spotting an 8-isch BB%. But the K-rate is really worrisome. I used to be quite high on Brentz, but I can't really see any improvements in his approach (at least nothing that affects his numbers, though I don't have any o- or z-swing data etc).
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

Comment

• RubeWaddell19
      Iis just a typo.
      • May 2008

Henry Owens equaled Johnny Vander Meer's feat and threw his 2nd consecutive no-hitter for Salem (OK, they were 6 and 5 innings games).

http://http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-notebook-owens-reels-off-five-more-no-hit-frames/

The farm system seems to have an embarrassment of talent again.
      I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.

Comment

• SwissRedSoxFan
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
        Brentz is not quite Young-esque as he is still spotting an 8-isch BB%. But the K-rate is really worrisome.
        I disagree. He is a Demon Young type right now. Has a 5% bb-rate since arriving at the AAA level reaching back to 2012. Plus it's needless to say in which direction those numbers would go if called up. Hopefully he has a bounce-back season and doesnt swing for the fences all the time.
        I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• SwissRedSoxFan
          • Jan 2006

Audacy brings people together around what moves them, and helps advertisers connect to those audiences. We engage over 170 MM consumers each month across our connected platforms.

A must listen for every Red Sox fan. That is pure joy to listen to.
          I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

• Woodside Park
            • Nov 2013

Wow, this thread has been a ghost town for a long time....
            I am just wondering after reading this article if anyone in the Sox organization may be thinking about converting this kid to an outfielder so he doesn't end up like the SS that was the heir apparent in the Yankee organizaton for the last 20 years....

Second baseman Mookie Betts, the Red Sox's No.5 prospect and No. 58 overall by MLB.com, continued his torrid start to the season Tuesday, helping Double-A Portland to a 10-2 victory against Reading.

Betts went 3-for-4 with a home run and scored two runs in the win. He extended his hitting streak to 15 games and has now reached base safely in 55 consecutive games, including last season's Carolina League playoffs.

Betts broke out last season, hitting .314 with 15 home runs and 38 stolen bases between Class A Greenville and Class A Advanced Salem. He followed that up with a successful stint in the Arizona Fall League, where he hit .271 and helped Surprise win the championship.

A promotion to Portland this season hasn't slowed Betts down. In 21 games, he has gone hitless just once and is hitting .422 with a .689 slugging percentage. His home run Tuesday was his fourth of the season, and he has stolen 10 bases.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X