X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodside Park
    replied
    Wow, this thread has been a ghost town for a long time....
    I am just wondering after reading this article if anyone in the Sox organization may be thinking about converting this kid to an outfielder so he doesn't end up like the SS that was the heir apparent in the Yankee organizaton for the last 20 years....

Second baseman Mookie Betts, the Red Sox's No.5 prospect and No. 58 overall by MLB.com, continued his torrid start to the season Tuesday, helping Double-A Portland to a 10-2 victory against Reading.

Betts went 3-for-4 with a home run and scored two runs in the win. He extended his hitting streak to 15 games and has now reached base safely in 55 consecutive games, including last season's Carolina League playoffs.

Betts broke out last season, hitting .314 with 15 home runs and 38 stolen bases between Class A Greenville and Class A Advanced Salem. He followed that up with a successful stint in the Arizona Fall League, where he hit .271 and helped Surprise win the championship.

A promotion to Portland this season hasn't slowed Betts down. In 21 games, he has gone hitless just once and is hitting .422 with a .689 slugging percentage. His home run Tuesday was his fourth of the season, and he has stolen 10 bases.

Leave a comment:

• SwissRedSoxFan
    replied
    http://audio.weei.com/device/mobile/...jim-callis.htm

A must listen for every Red Sox fan. That is pure joy to listen to.

Leave a comment:

• SwissRedSoxFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Therwil Flyer View Post
    Brentz is not quite Young-esque as he is still spotting an 8-isch BB%. But the K-rate is really worrisome.
    I disagree. He is a Demon Young type right now. Has a 5% bb-rate since arriving at the AAA level reaching back to 2012. Plus it's needless to say in which direction those numbers would go if called up. Hopefully he has a bounce-back season and doesnt swing for the fences all the time.

Leave a comment:

• RubeWaddell19
    replied
    Henry Owens equaled Johnny Vander Meer's feat and threw his 2nd consecutive no-hitter for Salem (OK, they were 6 and 5 innings games).

http://http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-notebook-owens-reels-off-five-more-no-hit-frames/

The farm system seems to have an embarrassment of talent again.

Leave a comment:

• Therwil Flyer
    replied
    Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
    Yes on Swihart, no on Marrero and Vasquez. They both have weak bats and very good defense. Vasquez doesnt make enough contact and Marrero should handle A-ball by now given his age, but doesnt.

Also, Bryce Brentz has become a Delmon Young type. Good power, but a really bad bb-k-ratio, that leads to bad batting average and OBP. He has to improve quickly, if he wants to be a part of the OF in 2014...
    Power is the latest to develop. Marrero has a good approach and good batting eye. Probably will never develop much power though. I was shocked the Sox didn't overpay for any light hitting shortstops in this year's draft or international signings.

Brentz is not quite Young-esque as he is still spotting an 8-isch BB%. But the K-rate is really worrisome. I used to be quite high on Brentz, but I can't really see any improvements in his approach (at least nothing that affects his numbers, though I don't have any o- or z-swing data etc).

Leave a comment:

• SwissRedSoxFan
    replied
    Originally posted by gunner82 View Post
    I like the potential of Swihart, Marrero and Vazquez
    Yes on Swihart, no on Marrero and Vasquez. They both have weak bats and very good defense. Vasquez doesnt make enough contact and Marrero should handle A-ball by now given his age, but doesnt.

Also, Bryce Brentz has become a Delmon Young type. Good power, but a really bad bb-k-ratio, that leads to bad batting average and OBP. He has to improve quickly, if he wants to be a part of the OF in 2014...

Leave a comment:

• gunner82
    replied
    I like the potential of Swihart, Marrero and Vazquez

Leave a comment:

• SwissRedSoxFan
    replied
    I am excited about our farm system right now!

Ranaudo, Workman, Webster, Owens are going good. Cecchini, Bogaerts and Coyle too! I think a lot of Cecchini. He could be a very good major leaguer.

Leave a comment:

• Therwil Flyer
    replied
    I didn't want to start a new draft thread, because it's still crazy early. But I stumbled across this mock draft: http://mlbdraftcountdown.wordpress.c...anuary-5-2013/

I highly doubt that Appel falls that far (unless he doesn't look great in 2013) but one may dream. It is still way too early, and there will be a few to fall and rise on that list. And while this draft may be weak in talent over all, I think the top 10 aren't considerably weaker than in past years (though not exactly 2005 good). I hope the Sox don't play it safe in the first round but go all in on the top player available at #7 use some of the second round pick's money to pay for that if necessary.
    I guess I can stop dreaming about getting Appel at #7. He has been lights out so far this season and will be picked either at #1 or #2 (Of course that saves me from having to root for yet another Stanford guy). But there are some interesting names other than Appel. LHP Sean Manea out of Indiana State and RHP Jonathan Grey out of Oklahoma would look really good right now (as far as I can tell anyway). HS OFers Clint Frazier and Austin Meadows receive a lot of buzz too. Obviously HSers are more risky picks. As I still believe that the draft class isn't too bad at the top and seems pretty weak after the top 10 or top 15, I'd put all my eggs in one basket and be willing to overslot at no 7 (depending on who is available) and compensate with later round picks. Say, e.g. Grey falls a bit because of bonus demands or Frazier falls because of his Georgia commitment, I'd be willing to overslot and pretty much punt the rest of the draft.

Leave a comment:

• Therwil Flyer
    replied
    I may have a new favorite Sox prospect: Bryce Brentz!
    Red Sox prospect Bryce Brentz told WEEI.com's Alex Speier that his absence from big league camp in spring training is due to an injury that he sustained from an accidental discharge of a gun he was cleaning.
    Last edited by Therwil Flyer; 02-09-2013, 08:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Therwil Flyer
    replied
    Klaw talks about ranking the Red Sox only 19th: http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/bos...ion-prospects/

He suggested that the ranking reflected the fact that, while he views shortstop Xander Bogaerts as a likely future star who ranks among the top handful of prospects in the game, the Sox don’t have a great deal of major league-ready impact players coming up through the system, and that among the organization’s pitching prospects, he views few (if any) as potential top-of-the-rotation candidates.
    I can't but agree with this to some extent. I think the jury is still out on Barmes because it's way too early and I am not as high on Webster. That being said I have never seen either pitch other than in videos you find on youtube. De la Rosa who could be great if he can improve command, doesn't count as a prospect.

“The big thing with Barnes, I know the strikeout numbers were great, but he was doing a lot of it just with great fastball command — which is awesome. You love to see that. But it’s not like he has knockout stuff. And I think as he continues to move up the ladder, unless one of those pitches takes a big leap forward, like suddenly the curveball adds a grade or two on the 20-80 scale, he’s probably going to be relying on that fastball command to continue to miss bats, and that’s harder and harder to do as you continue to move up the ladder."
    Again, this may actually be somewhat true. A lot will depend on developing those secondary pitches. He then also goes on to say that his delivery is not the cleanest, which is something I haven't heard before and was a bit surprised to hear.

He also is "confused" by the Red Sox's strategy at a major league level but I think he just fails to see the overall picture here a bit.
    “There’s a lot of confusion as to why the Red Sox are suddenly playing in the middle tier of free agents, which I think historically is the most dangerous area to play,” said Law. “The premium guys — obviously, the Red Sox have had trouble there — but if you go after the stars, you do fine. And if you go into the bargain bin, you can do well. But if you go into the middle tier . . . The [Shane] Victorino deal to me was the worst free agent contract of the offseason. [Mike] Napoli, obviously they re-did the deal, but there’s no way I’m giving him three years. The guy was a part-time catcher at best and probably just a full-time DH. Those are not the players that I would recommend really any team signing. But it seems their strategy is they’re the class of free agents we want to go after, at least for the next couple of years. . . . I just don’t really understand that as a philosophy because the history of that class of free agents is not that good.”
    BTW, 187 days till amateur draft!

Leave a comment:

• Therwil Flyer
    replied
    Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
    Then why are the Yankees 7 spots ahead of the Red Sox? Their farm system is practically empty at the higher levels or has lost track. (Banuelos).

I think it is true that different evaluators rank with different measurments, but I take those ranks very seriously because the guys who make them have an overview about prospects that we don't have.

I think the Red Sox farm system is in its best shape since the Lester/Pedroia/Ellsbury time. That's why I was surprised about Law's verdict. Others rank the Red Sox way higher.
    I was as surprised as you were after all the other guys ranked the Sox's system as a top 10 (or 11) system. As for the Yankees, I really don't have an answer. I think it's weirder that he ranks them that high than that he ranks the Sox so low. But he sure knows more about prospects than I ever will.

I think the system was pretty exciting when it had Westmoreland, Rizzo, Kelly, Kalish and Reddick in it (and they were all considered really strong). Circa 2010-ish! But you're right, the system is as good as it has been in a while, and it has a couple of power arms in it too (including de la Rosa).

Leave a comment:

• SwissRedSoxFan
    replied
    Klaw seems to put more weight on major league readiness whereas others weigh potential higher
    Then why are the Yankees 7 spots ahead of the Red Sox? Their farm system is practically empty at the higher levels or has lost track. (Banuelos).

I think it is true that different evaluators rank with different measurments, but I take those ranks very seriously because the guys who make them have an overview about prospects that we don't have.

I think the Red Sox farm system is in its best shape since the Lester/Pedroia/Ellsbury time. That's why I was surprised about Law's verdict. Others rank the Red Sox way higher.

Leave a comment:

• Therwil Flyer
    replied
    I love prospect talk and these rankings as much as anyone, but I think it's important not to take them too seriously.

These rankings are highly subjective. E.g. Keith Law has the Sox's farm as the 17th best (and the mfy at 10) while, as you guys noted, Sickels has them at 9 and BA at 6. There are a number of reasons for that. different evaluations of players, favorite team bias (Sickels for example is a Sox fan, so he is typically very bullish on our prospects), different weighing of attributes (Klaw seems to put more weight on major league readiness whereas others weigh potential higher).

Personally, I think our farm system has some exciting players. Obviously, as a fan, I tend to overvalue the prospects already into the system. But there are quite a few interesting names at all levels and there is also a bit of depth. On the other hand, one probably has to be honest enough to realize that we only have one real high impact prospect (Boaegerts). Others - Barnes, Bradley, Brentz, Webster - are exciting but not A-prospects.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Grimm
    replied
    Agreed. Considering the fire sale the Sox had, they needed to infuse some good talent into the system. It'll take a bit IMO to really be considered a contender again, but I can see things looking even better this time next year.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X