Why the 2006 Red Sox cannot be compared to the 2007 Red Sox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the 2006 Red Sox cannot be compared to the 2007 Red Sox

I've heard WEEI bringing up the point that the 2006 Red Sox are only three games off the current pace of the 2007 Red Sox after 37 games. And for some reason, because of that this is the reason why we can't count out the Yankees from the division race. But let's look at the current standings after 37
    games from both years:

2006:

Red Sox 23-14
    Yankees 22-15 1 GB
    Blue Jays 21-17 2.5 GB
    Orioles 18-22 6.5 GB
    Devil Rays 16-23 8 GB

2007:

Red Sox 26-11
    Yankees 17-19 8.5 GB
    Orioles 18-21 9 GB
    Blue Jays 16-22 10.5 GB
    Devil Rays 15-22 11 GB

So in 2006, you still had the Yankees and Blue Jays within reach and playing close to .600 ball. In 2007, however, the closest team is 8 1/2 games out, and everyone in the division besides the Red Sox is playing sub .500 ball. So I think the purpose of this thread is to remind people of the fact that before we go and try to create the perfect analogue from past seasons that we should put everything into context. Ok, thanks.

The teams are almost incomparable. The Red Sox of '06 biggest strength was offense and fielding and starting pitching and bullpen being there achilles heel. This year its been the exact opposite, the offense has been almost nonexistent at times and the only one whose hit consistently since the start of the season is Ortiz, and the fielding and defense this year has been average at best, whilst the starting pitcher and bullpen have both been lights out the majority of the time.
    "He gave the term 'complete' a new meaning. He made the word 'superstar' seem inadequate. He had about him the touch of royalty." - Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn on Roberto Clemente

my blog

4-16-07 RIP Va. Tech 32

Comment

Originally posted by natsnsoxfan View Post
      This year its been the exact opposite, the offense has been almost nonexistent at times and the only one whose hit consistently since the start of the season is Ortiz
      I see your point about the pitching, but as far as the offense, do you realize that the Red Sox are leading the American League in runs scored, RBI, batting average, OBP, Slugging % and OPS (naturally, on this last one )?

I realize that we've had some individual games when we've not scored much (and some individual players who have not hit much at times), but that happens to every team. It's a definite stretch to say that our offense has been shaky in any real way so far during the 2007 season.
      Last edited by SoxSon; 05-15-2007, 03:26 PM.
      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Our offense hasn't been consistent was my point. Last year you could pretty much expect 4 or 5 runs a game (unless wake was pitching of course :grouchy) but this year its been pretty spread out.
        "He gave the term 'complete' a new meaning. He made the word 'superstar' seem inadequate. He had about him the touch of royalty." - Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn on Roberto Clemente

my blog

4-16-07 RIP Va. Tech 32

Comment

This Red Sox so far havent been saddled with injuries like 2006 was, no injuries, 2006 was probably only a little behind 2007.

Comment

The offense isn't as good as last year's because Manny hasn't really come on yet and Drew hits like a pitcher when runners are on (I blame that bible diet he went on for sapping his strength), and because we have Dustin Pedroia instead of Mark Loretta. However, it's still true that Boston's offense is one of the best in the AL (at this point it's probably the best). That's the beauty of having much better starting pitching than last year: the offense doesn't have to be as good and you can still be a better team. Since 2003 the Sox's offense has routinely been overpowering. Now it's quite good but not overpowering like last year's was, and that's fine with much-improved work on the mound (see last year's Tigers).

Comment

At this point in the season I ask myself if the Yankees are also capable of going 28-12 during a 40-game stretch. I have to say yes due to their hitting lineup plus the combo of Clemens-Pettite-Wang-Mussina getting hot at the same time.

Could the Sox go 18-22 at some point this season? What last year proved to me is all it would take is a few key injuries (Ortiz, Beckett, Drew, and Timlin for example) and some rotten luck.
              "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
              "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

This a vastly superior team. We've got a fabulous and deep bullpen and much better starting pitching (Dice-K + Beckett possibly coming into his prime at 27). I realize that a few injuries could screw things up, but I'd be totally shocked if the Red Sox fail to make the playoffs. This team is about as good as it gets.
                BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

I just don't see the 'interchangeable fate' argument with Yankee fans about how all it would take for the Red Sox to fall apart is a couple of injuries when the Red Sox were built to sustain multiple injuries. For starters, the AAA depth for Boston is vastly more competent and deep than the Yankees AAA talent.

Comment

Originally posted by winningtheweapon View Post
                    I just don't see the 'interchangeable fate' argument with Yankee fans about how all it would take for the Red Sox to fall apart is a couple of injuries when the Red Sox were built to sustain multiple injuries. For starters, the AAA depth for Boston is vastly more competent and deep than the Yankees AAA talent.
                    I agree. This rotation is so good that i can't seem them going on a 5 game losing more than once this season because everyone in there is a potential "stopper". I also agree with the AAA comment. On most any other team Lester would be a 3 or 4 starter but hes in the minors right now. We also have insurance policies down there with Major League experience or the capability to be decent pitchers in the event of an injury like Runelvys Hernandez, Devern Hansack, Kason Gabbard, Abe Alvarez, and David Pauley to name some. Not to mention prospects that may be ready late this season like Buchholz, Ellsbury, Murphy, and Moss.

my blog

4-16-07 RIP Va. Tech 32

Comment

obviously the team has started top play really great baseball but all the teams have got a lot of games to catch up and with the 06 record were playing really well and why should it matter how other teams are playing as long we are top of our division
                      Last edited by Boston Red Sox; 05-21-2007, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X