Are Boston fans THAT superior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Boston fans THAT superior?

Okay Red Sox Nation (RSN), I am confused and look for your guidance to get the scoop on what was really going on.

Last night (5-15-07) there was a (somewhat) standing ovation when Tiger pitcher Justin Verlander was taken out of the game in the 8th inning. The Detroit announcers seemed to think it was for Verlander and his performance on the mound, and Detroit sports radio made mention of this fact throughout the day. I am wondering if there was something the announcers missed (ie. A fight in the stands, an obscure record the Red Sox broke, etc.)

Are Boston Red Sox Fans THAT “knowledgeable” about MLB pitching performances that they would give “love” to an opposing pitcher, not only an opposing pitcher, but also an opposing pitcher that was shutting them down and got a victory?

Clue me in will ya. Dice-K pitched great the day before; however, I do not think he would have gotten an ovation for the game if it were in Detroit.

Are RSN fans that superior to Tiger fans or did the Tigers announcers get this incident wrong? I have suspicions.
    Still a long suffering TIGERS fan

Originally posted by malt-tones View Post
    Okay Red Sox Nation (RSN), I am confused and look for your guidance to get the scoop on what was really going on.

Last night (5-15-07) there was a (somewhat) standing ovation when Tiger pitcher Justin Verlander was taken out of the game in the 8th inning. The Detroit announcers seemed to think it was for Verlander and his performance on the mound, and Detroit sports radio made mention of this fact throughout the day. I am wondering if there was something the announcers missed (ie. A fight in the stands, an obscure record the Red Sox broke, etc.)

Are Boston Red Sox Fans THAT “knowledgeable” about MLB pitching performances that they would give “love” to an opposing pitcher, not only an opposing pitcher, but also an opposing pitcher that was shutting them down and got a victory?

Clue me in will ya. Dice-K pitched great the day before; however, I do not think he would have gotten an ovation for the game if it were in Detroit.

Are RSN fans that superior to Tiger fans or did the Tigers announcers get this incident wrong? I have suspicions.
    Is that really that unusual?
    2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

I've seen that happen in Detroit a few times, opposing players getting ovations for good performances. It happens in good baseball towns, which Boston very much is one. Knowledgable, passionate fans about their team and the sport. Are they superior to Detroit fans? They may indeed be more passionate, coming from someone who is a Detroit fan and has been close to quite a few BoSox fans. Does that make them superior? I recuse myself.
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

I think that any fan who values baseball as a whole as well as their own team acknowledges a good performance by an opposing player. Verlander was brilliant the other night, as was Guthrie on Sunday, and I would have applauded them both, had I been there.

A few years ago when the A's were in town, the Sox were down by 2 with 2 out in the 9th, and Manny came up with 2 runners on, and smacked a ball that seemed sure to land in the bullpen and send the Sox to victory. But Terrence Long made a MOST spectacular catch, snatching the ball out of the bullpen, and the A's won. It was a breathtaking catch... and even though it meant the Sox lost, many people in the stands applauded Long.

Last time I saw the (then) VT Expos up in Burlington, they were shut down by a stellar pitching performance, and were trailing something like 8-1 when the opposing pitcher was pulled in the 8th. Everybody at Centennial Field stood and cheered that young man, and he doffed his hat to the crowd.

Team loyalty ought not to blind you to the true beauty of Baseball.
        --Annie
        Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
        Remember Yellowdog
        ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan View Post
          I think that any fan who values baseball as a whole as well as their own team acknowledges a good performance by an opposing player. Verlander was brilliant the other night, as was Guthrie on Sunday, and I would have applauded them both, had I been there.

A few years ago when the A's were in town, the Sox were down by 2 with 2 out in the 9th, and Manny came up with 2 runners on, and smacked a ball that seemed sure to land in the bullpen and send the Sox to victory. But Terrence Long made a MOST spectacular catch, snatching the ball out of the bullpen, and the A's won. It was a breathtaking catch... and even though it meant the Sox lost, many people in the stands applauded Long.

Last time I saw the (then) VT Expos up in Burlington, they were shut down by a stellar pitching performance, and were trailing something like 8-1 when the opposing pitcher was pulled in the 8th. Everybody at Centennial Field stood and cheered that young man, and he doffed his hat to the crowd.

Team loyalty ought not to blind you to the true beauty of Baseball.
          It was probably a mixture of a great pitching performance, and being happy that they were coming out of the game. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager View Post
            It was probably a mixture of a great pitching performance, and being happy that they were coming out of the game. lol.
            That may have been a large part of it...I'm sure the sox players were happy to see Verlander out of the game, hehe
            www.worklifewizard.org - know your rights!

Comment

Maybe there's still a lot of Tigres love at Fenway for taking the Yanks out last postseason? I can't remember, did Verlander have an outstanding game against them?
              The atmosphere at Fenway is usually pretty intense, so I would be surprised if it were just for Verlander's performance that night, unless he had done something truly historic.
              I'm going to be there tonight...hope that I take part in a standing O for Schilling, Papi, Manny, or somebody else in red socks.
              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

I probably would of clapped. Detroit is a good baseball town with a rich history, I was pulling for them last year after the Sox got knocked out, and Verlander had a great game. Now if it was Wang.....

Comment

Originally posted by Wee Willie Keeler View Post
                  Is that really that unusual?
                  Surely you can't be serious. (and I am sorry for calling you Shirley.)
                  Would Verlander have been applauded if he wore pinstripes? When was the last dominating visiting pitcher to Yankee Stadium given a partial standing ovation?

YUP...........IMO it is unusual. This could speak volumes about the RSN. Especially since the RSN could argue that if Papelbohn pitched the entire season, he would have won the AL ROY. Unusual indeed.

Props to the Red Sox fans! (but we should have taken at least one of the games in today's doubleheader.)

Still a long suffering TIGERS fan

Comment

Originally posted by malt-tones View Post
                    Surely you can't be serious. (and I am sorry for calling you Shirley.)
                    Would Verlander have been applauded if he wore pinstripes? When was the last dominating visiting pitcher to Yankee Stadium given a partial standing ovation?

YUP...........IMO it is unusual. This could speak volumes about the RSN. Especially since the RSN could argue that if Papelbohn pitched the entire season, he would have won the AL ROY. Unusual indeed.

Props to the Red Sox fans! (but we should have taken at least one of the games in today's doubleheader.)

Granted, we're biased here, but the fans in Boston always have a great respect for competence, and Verlander showed more than just a little.

Just so's you know, during 2005's Opening Day, Mariano Rivera was given a standing ovation at Fenway (of course, that one may have been facetious , but he was a good sport about it and actually won some respect as a result). I seem to remember the Yankee-version of Clemens receiving a standing O in Boston at one point, too.
                    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

surely you should applaud the opposition pitcher when he has a great game

Comment

I for one, was a little annoyed at the Edgar Renteiria boo-birds this weekend. Did I miss something? Did Edgar say something mean-spirited about Boston when he left? He didn't live up to his potential, to be sure, but he's no Johnny Arnold.
                        "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X