Schilling -- The Man or The Myth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schilling is the reason most athletes give cliched responses

When someone like Curt actually is honest and says what he is thinking, he gets major flak

Schill can take it, but alot of players would rather just play ball, so if you don't like Schilling, don't ever say "why do players all say the same crap?"

They say it, because you fans are finger pointing jerks waiting to jump on someone

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Casey
      What's so absurdly patriotic about the letter? I thought it was very good; the US had just been attacked, and I think his letter could only have helped the counrty in the wake of the tragedy.

I think most of this dislike of Schilling stems from his support of George Bush in the 2004 presidential campaign. However, what I would like to know is why there was little criticism of Carlos Delgado for (previously) refusing to stand for God Bless America as a form of opposition to the war in Iraq. Both athletes are making a political statement, but only one (Schilling) seems to have taken heat for it from the media and the fans. Could it be that some people only support freedom of speech when they agree with what the speaker has to say?

I'm not trying to make this into a political matter, but I think it's interesting to see how different Schilling and Delgado have been treated, even though what they have done (use their fame as a way to express their ideas) is very similar, albeit from different sides of the political spectrum.
      From my experiences, I'd say the exact opposite of you. I've never heard anyone say anything about Schilling because of his political support, but I have heard a lot of flak about Delgado not standing. It was a fairly big issue recently after he was traded to the Mets. I believe our friends here in the Mets forum had some discussion about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
        From my experiences, I'd say the exact opposite of you. I've never heard anyone say anything about Schilling because of his political support, but I have heard a lot of flak about Delgado not standing. It was a fairly big issue recently after he was traded to the Mets. I believe our friends here in the Mets forum had some discussion about it.
        Based on what I've heard from various forums that a lot of Red Sox fans are disgruntled over Schilling's remarks during the campaign. It shouldn't be too surprising, since New England is very heavily populated with democrats, but I don't think that I have read or heard much from baseball fans or the media that criticizes Delgado. Note how Delgado was not one of the players mentioned in the article you posted.
        "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

Based on what I've heard from various forums that a lot of Red Sox fans are disgruntled over Schilling's remarks during the campaign. It shouldn't be too surprising, since New England is very heavily populated with democrats, but I don't think that I have read or heard much from baseball fans or the media that criticizes Delgado. Note how Delgado was not one of the players mentioned in the article you posted.
          I think you might be reading too much into the article I posted. There is not one line about Schilling's politics. The basic gist is the players don't like him because he runs his mouth. If Delgado ran his mouth, he'd probably be on there too. But the point is, the article is not based on politics, nor the fans perception of players, its based on players that come off as jerks to their fellow players - that's why guys like Barry Bonds and AJ Pierzynski are on it, and guys like Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez, and Jeff Kent got honorable mentions.
          Last edited by DoubleX; 01-29-2006, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Also, here is the link to the Mets thread discussing Delgado. There are five pages and 109 posts in that thread, yet I can't recall there ever extended being mention of Schilling's politics on these boards. I wouldn't be surprised if I looked back through the current events threads that I would a Delgado thread in there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
              I wouldn't be surprised if I looked back through the current events threads that I would a Delgado thread in there as well.
              Actually, there was a thread about it a while ago, which I think I participated in. However, there were many people on the board who were very sympathetic to Delgado, while it seems like many people on this board don't like Schilling using his fame to voice his thoughts
              "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

Actually, there was a thread about it a while ago, which I think I participated in. However, there were many people on the board who were very sympathetic to Delgado, while it seems like many people on this board don't like Schilling using his fame to voice his thoughts
                Again, there is a difference in voicing thoughts and voicing political thoughts. People have said that Schilling needs to shut up, but I don't recall any member ever saying it has to do with politics. Schilling says a lot of stuff, and most of it does not have to do with politics. So just because people say Schilling needs to shut up, does not mean people are saying he needs to shut up because of his politics. I for one, think Schilling needs to shut up, and it has nothing to do with his politics. I could care less about that. I just think he runs his mouth too much about baseball, and is always trying to play the angles.

See that's the difference between Delgado and Schilling. Delgado did one thing and it was related to politics, Schilling does a lot of thing and only a small part of it is related to politics, and people don't like Schilling because of all the stuff he says, not because of the political stuff. Essentially, politics is a non-factor here.

Anyway, the article that this thread is about is not about fans reactions to Schilling, but other players' reactions to Schilling. Fans opinions have nothing to do with this.

Comment

What's so absurdly patriotic about the letter? I thought it was very good; the US had just been attacked, and I think his letter could only have helped the counrty in the wake of the tragedy.

I think most of this dislike of Schilling stems from his support of George Bush in the 2004 presidential campaign. However, what I would like to know is why there was little criticism of Carlos Delgado for (previously) refusing to stand for God Bless America as a form of opposition to the war in Iraq. Both athletes are making a political statement, but only one (Schilling) seems to have taken heat for it from the media and the fans. Could it be that some people only support freedom of speech when they agree with what the speaker has to say?

I'm not trying to make this into a political matter, but I think it's interesting to see how different Schilling and Delgado have been treated, even though what they have done (use their fame as a way to express their ideas) is very similar, albeit from different sides of the political spectrum.
                  Schilling is and always has been a self-glorifying, attention seeking jackass. He was that way in Houston, Philly, AZ, Boston & Pawtuckett. I don't know about Baltimore. He's a formerly great big game pitcher. I've wanted him to win when he faced NY in 2001 & I pull for him as long as he pitches for the Sox. I fault him greatly for not bothering to take better care of his waistline while he was healing in the off-season. It hurt the team much more than Manny wanting a`day off in Tampa. I hope he wins in '06 while also being struck mute for the duration of the season. I'm a Giants fan first, Sox second. I hold im & Jeff Kent in the same regard. I didn't need GQ to shine a light on the complete jackassery of either man. Delgado isn't an American & wasn't playing for an American franchise. Would anyone be pissed if Tim Wakefield made public comments about the Dominican govt.- I doubt it. Schilling was a raging loudmouth long before Bush was in office.
                  Last edited by RobertHConner; 02-12-2006, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Imapotato
                    Schilling is the reason most athletes give cliched responses

When someone like Curt actually is honest and says what he is thinking, he gets major flak

Schill can take it, but alot of players would rather just play ball, so if you don't like Schilling, don't ever say "why do players all say the same crap?"

They say it, because you fans are finger pointing jerks waiting to jump on someone
                    I'm not calling anyone a finger pointing jerk, but I essentially agree. Most players give the canned media statements just to avoid controversy. Can I get a simple staight honest opinion? Not from most players.

Schilling talks too much yes i will agree on that. But i know when he spoke out about Questec i gave him a cheer, and he wasn't even in Red Sox uniform at that point. I also liked when he smashed it to be honest, I thought it was quite funny.
                    "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
                    -Don Fehr

Comment

I'll always condider Schilling one of the greatest heros in Red Sox history. I have no interest in his political views or his "grandstanding." He is simply a great champion.
                      BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

I am glad someone else brought up the questec episode. That is just another example of Schilling being Schilling; making noise about something in a self serving manner. I believe all he was trying to accomplish there was to get the umpires on his side by coming out against something that “measured” the accuracy of the umpires and questioned the competency of the umpires. Do I respect his ability as I player? Absolutely, do I like how he uses his position to glorify his opinions and beliefs? No way, how ever I am glad that he contributed greatly to the Sox World Series victory and that is hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Blowfly
                          I am glad someone else brought up the questec episode. That is just another example of Schilling being Schilling; making noise about something in a self serving manner. I believe all he was trying to accomplish there was to get the umpires on his side by coming out against something that “measured” the accuracy of the umpires and questioned the competency of the umpires. Do I respect his ability as I player? Absolutely, do I like how he uses his position to glorify his opinions and beliefs? No way, how ever I am glad that he contributed greatly to the Sox World Series victory and that is hard to beat.
                          You know, I never thought of the Questec thing that way. But I suppose if what people say about Schilling is true (that what he says and does is calculated to enhance his own stature), then those statements could certainly be seen as an attempt to curry favor with the umps.

Comment

Ill just say this about the sock. If you watch footage (pardon the pun) of him warming up before game 6 of the ALCS, you can DEFINATELY see the blood on his sock. I saw it during the pregame show, and I'm sure that if I saw it, the people in the production truck did too, and thats why they kept showing it. as far as why it didn't keep spreading, it probably clotted (onto the sock, even) to the extent that it just stopped bleeding, much like the way a cut stops bleeding under a bandage.
                            "Straight ball I hit it very much, curveball, bats are afraid"

Comment

I didn't know about Delgardo

It's possible that a lot of Boston area fans didn't. I don't have cable, so I miss a lot of stuff. Of course, BF is my primary source
                              Varitek=Future Red Sox Manager
                              Boston Boxer - a Real Hero

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X