I found the following article in our local (free) surburban newspaper:

Youngster pulls up his red sox and heads for US

A Blue Bay teenager is on his way to fulfilling a lifelong dream after signing a professional contract with US Major League team the Bostn Red Sox.
Mitch Dening, 17, who will play for the Lions
(one of 4 local teams) this weekend, will board a plane in April bound for a month-long training camp in Florida in what will be the first of many trips during his six-year contract.
Upon his return he will complete his HSC studies at Tuggerah Lakes Secondary College
(Higher School Certificate - year 12 graduation).
From 2007 he will travel to the US for six months every year until his contract expires or, if he performs, is extended. Aspiring Major League players from around the world including Taiwan, Cuba, Japan and Portugal are sure to provide hot competition.
Dening, who is 188cm
(6ft 2in) tall, has a New South Wales Institute of Sport baseball scholarship and is an Australian under 19 representative.
He said he wanted to play in the major leagues since he first hit for the Lions at age six.
"It's always been my dream to play professional baseball in the states. This is the beginning of my dream come true," he said.
Dening was scouted by Australian Olympic head coach and international Boston Red Sox scout John Deeble.
Deeble first saw Dening perform when he coached at the Major League Baseball Academy in Brisbane last year before finally signing him in September.
"He has all the qualities of a major leaguer", Deeble said.
Dening said he had to progress though an amazing seven US Leagues if he was to eventually play Major League baseball. "You need both skill and mental toughness to get through," he said.

An interesting perspective from an aspiring foreigner trying to make it in MLB. Blue Bay is a little coastal suburb, part of the NSW Central Coast, about 100km (60 miles) north of Sydney. His local team, the Lions, is one of four teams that play in the local summer competition - a far cry from Claxton Shield (our national competition), let alone MLB!