OK... we got Coco.. now we need a SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK... we got Coco.. now we need a SS

I'm guessing the whole Alex Gonzalez deal fell through?

anyone have any clue who will be our starting SS.. I wouldn't mind
    Alex Cora starting off the season but there's no way we will go as far
    as we did 2 years ago or even last year with a player like Alex Cora. I just don't see him being an explosive SS in the game. Edgar is better then
    alex

if anyone has any ideas of what's going on with the SS position please let me know. thanks
    twitter.com/NewEnglandFans

I would like to see the Red Sox trade a pitcher (or multiple pitchers) to Cincinnati for Felipe Lopez. It would be good for both teams; the Reds would have a chance at having a real pitcher for the first time since Jose Rijo, and the Red Sox could get a good, relatively young shortstop.
    "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

Dustin Pedroia

Comment

^^ yea hes good...but all season?!

i dont see us being a playoff contender with a SS like him

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox Rule
          Dustin Pedroia
          What's the pro/con on him? I only know that he's played in Pawtucket, never debuted on the big team.
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by RichardLikeWhoa
            i dont see us being a playoff contender with a SS like him
            Yeah, you're right. Alex Cora and Alex Gonzalez are much better.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox Rule
              Yeah, you're right. Alex Cora and Alex Gonzalez are much better.
              Why Dustin Pedroia over the others? What's he shown you that makes you pick him?

Do you think that Boston is going to pull another big trade for a more established player? I doubt this, since they've used up about all of their trade bait in the Crisp deal.
              Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                Why Dustin Pedroia over the others? What's he shown you that makes you pick him?

Do you think that Boston is going to pull another big trade for a more established player? I doubt this, since they've used up about all of their trade bait in the Crisp deal.
                Pedroia is not ready for the big show yet but I bet you'll see him at Fenway this year.

But as for trades we're not even close to out of trade bait. Wells still wants a trade, and while he may be hard to move both Clement and Arroyo are possibilities to be traded because with Schilling, Clement, Arroyo, Wells, Wakefield, and Beckett all in the staff plus Papelbon waiting in the wings we have more starters than we can start, of course i would rather keep them and have depth and have a plus defensive SS with little offense.
                "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
                -Don Fehr

Comment

Originally posted by YOUgodofwalks
                  we have more starters than we can start, of course i would rather keep them and have depth and have a plus defensive SS with little offense.
                  I assume you're referring to Alex Gonzalez. He's okay, but I'm not all that crazy about the possibility of building up the entire left side of the infield with Florida Marlins rejects. Oh well; I guess he's just keeping the seat warm until Pedroia comes up.
                  "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

Originally posted by YOUgodofwalks
                    Pedroia is not ready for the big show yet but I bet you'll see him at Fenway this year..

he was ready enough last year and then were going to bring him up, but hurt his wrist. This kid is ready to play IMO. If we are going to go with Cora a SS, then why not give the kid a look. We can't be afraid to play the young players.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer
                      he was ready enough last year and then were going to bring him up, but hurt his wrist. This kid is ready to play IMO. If we are going to go with Cora a SS, then why not give the kid a look. We can't be afraid to play the young players.
                      You think they'll just have a tryout at spring break amongst Pedroia, Cora and possibly someone else?

Comment

yes I do Matt. The better player will emerge and start at SS IMO

Comment

im a fan of alex cora... and dustin pedroia... but i just dont
                          see them doing big things like nomar or orlando did for us.

anyone else feel the same way?

the BEST trade of the off-season would be David Wells for Orlando Cabrera..

that would be amazing, but def. not gonna happen

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer
                            yes I do Matt. The better player will emerge and start at SS IMO
                            A few questions first of all. How's the defense for each of Pedroia and Cora? I've heard of Alex Gonzalez being all glove no bat (perhaps like Rey Ordonez, formerly of the Mets and D-Rays), but offense or not, how slick are these guys with the defense? Do they turn the DP nicely, do they charge the ball well? You folks have had some very quality people in Nomah, Cabrera, and even Pokey on the bench.
                            Originally posted by RichardLikeWhoa
                            im a fan of alex cora... and dustin pedroia... but i just dont
                            see them doing big things like nomar or orlando did for us.

anyone else feel the same way?

the BEST trade of the off-season would be David Wells for Orlando Cabrera..

that would be amazing, but def. not gonna happen
                            Any other SS's you think may be traded for, especially this late in the winter? If so, who'd you consider trading for them? I'm figuring if the other team also asked for Clement or Arroyo, would you think that's a fair trade?

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
                              A few questions first of all. How's the defense for each of Pedroia and Cora? I've heard of Alex Gonzalez being all glove no bat (perhaps like Rey Ordonez, formerly of the Mets and D-Rays), but offense or not, how slick are these guys with the defense? Do they turn the DP nicely, do they charge the ball well? You folks have had some very quality people in Nomah, Cabrera, and even Pokey on the bench.

Any other SS's you think may be traded for, especially this late in the winter? If so, who'd you consider trading for them? I'm figuring if the other team also asked for Clement or Arroyo, would you think that's a fair trade?
                              I'd like to get hold of Chone Figgins and use him at SS.
                              "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X