This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I'm Going to Fenway!

I'm starting this thread as an effort to help people going to Fenway Park for the first (or the 101st!) time. I've noticed a steady influx of threads asking such questions as "What's the best way to get there?" or "Where should I sit?" or "What is there to do right around the park?" and I think it would be great to have a thread in the forum responding to such questions. Over time, new threads on the subject won't even be necessary.

Here are a few special "rules":

* Information supplied in this thread should primarily relate to the experience of going to Boston to see a game at Fenway Park (in other words, info mainly related to attending BC or going on vacation to Boston, for instance, isn't the objective here).

* Information supplied in this thread is unconfirmed (in other words, please don't solely rely on second-hand transit information ).

* There is an expectation that posters will read the thread through before asking a question (as the thread grows, we all want to avoid repeating questions and answers).

The Boston forum mods, as usual, reserve the right to delete any posts not directly relevant/helpful regarding this subject. In fact, as question posts are answered, the questions themselves will likely be deleted, too, in order to maintain a more concise informational thread for those going to a game.

I hope this proves to be a valuable resource. It will take time to grow (or maybe not!), but once it's up and running, it should help an awful lot of people. Those of you in the immediate Boston area can be of tremendous help, but of course, the thread is open to anyone with the desired insight. Thanks.
    Last edited by SoxSon; 08-05-2007, 04:28 PM.
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

I think this is a good idea. I'll wager that Fenway is probably the most difficult ballpark to get to, to get in, to get around in, and to get out of. We love its quirks, though not everyone shares that opinion, of course.

2007 World Series Champions
    The Boston Red Sox

Comment

In repsonse to bleedsox's question about what else is there to do besides visiting colleges and site seeing, and the red sox game:

A great restuarant would be Legal Seafoods. It was the first seafood restuarant in Boston and its a great place for family and friends to go. If you want to go to some shops that have to do with New England sports, I dont know many of them, but two great shops to pick up sports memoribilia and cards would be:

J.J. Teaparty sports cards (its a really small shop so its easy to miss)
      And then two stores down is this really old card shop. In fact you cant miss it because if you walk by it there is a big sign that says "STOP you just passed Boston's oldest card shop!"

Both of these stores are on Bromfield street in Downtown Boston. And both of them have really amazing owners. Neither of them only sell cards. The first one sells a ton of signed baseballs, and old sports magazines and stuff like that. the latter sells almost anything antique from old coins, to jewelry to cards from the 1800's.

If you want to just relax just take a walk around the Boston Commons, but I guess that that would be considered site seeing since it was the first public park in the U.S.

Oh yeah, the sience musueam and the art musuem are two really great places to visit. Plus the Art Musuem is right around where a ton of colleges are (simmons, wentworth, north eastern) so its pretty easy to find.

If you want Ice Cream J.P. Licks on Newbury street is the best place to go (although it is always packed and the lines are long, once you get the ice cream it will be worth it.) Next to there, there is a store called Newbury Comics. It has more music stuff then comics but its still a really great store and they have a ton of Pro Red sox/Anti Yankees t-shirts and some other great boston sports stuff.

Thats all that I can think of for now, but i most likely will be able to come up with some stuff later.
      "Original sin wasn't when Eve ate the apple, but when those damn unicorns didn't get on the ark"- Haley Murphy Morrill (2/14/92 - 9/26/07)

^^this was the last status update that Haley had on her facebook page^^

Haley you will always be in my heart <

Comment

Besides sight-seeing? Man, that alone could take a week. Since you're looking at colleges, I'll assume you're also too young to go clubbing. If you want restaurants AND sight-seeing, take the Freedom Trail walking tour. When you get to the Old North Church, stop and look around for a good Italian restaurant because you'll be in Little Italy. This won't be an Olive Garden experience, either.

I'm assuming you are more interested in what to do rather than what to see, so I'll leave out the Bunker Hill Memorial and the U.S.S. Constitution (Ol' Ironsides, the oldest commissioned vessel in the US Navy).

Boston is full of culture. Live music of all kinds can be found and most major concert tours stop there eventually. Even stopping at Quincy Market you'll be likely to see street performers. I can't offer too much as far as youth culture goes (skate parks and the like), although I'm sure someone around here could point you in the right direction.

Depending upon your mobility in and around the city, you could look into a Whale Watch excursion out of Gloucester. It's not that far out of the greater metro area and you could probably even catch an Amtrack if you had to.

In fact, if you're feeling particularly adventurous, you could catch a ferry from Boston to Provincetown on the tip of Cape Cod.

But don't worry. If you ask the right questions, you won't run out of things to do if you stay in the city.

2007 World Series Champions
        The Boston Red Sox

Comment

hello: just don't drive there! take a cab. leave your car parked at the hotel. pete
          you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
          http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

dont even take a cab, if the game starts at 7, you'll never get there on time because you will have to deal with traffic and everything else. Take public transportation (take the GREEN line to KENMORE station and just walk up the street to fenway.)
            "Original sin wasn't when Eve ate the apple, but when those damn unicorns didn't get on the ark"- Haley Murphy Morrill (2/14/92 - 9/26/07)

^^this was the last status update that Haley had on her facebook page^^

Haley you will always be in my heart <

Comment

Someone started a thread in the GENERAL section, relating to tips about Fenway Park. I thought it might be worth adding it here for people who don't stray from the Red Sox area that often.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=66225

Comment

Originally posted by DickZ View Post
                Someone started a thread in the GENERAL section, relating to tips about Fenway Park. I thought it might be worth adding it here for people who don't stray from the Red Sox area that often.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=66225

Excellent catch, DickZ!
                "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Gillians accross the street is cool if you like to drink and play video games

Comment

I really want to go to Fenway when the red sox ARE NOT playing the Yankees and not wearing any of my Yankee stuff . So I can see and check out and enjoy the ballpark, without having to deal the redsox/yankees stuff. (don't get me wrong I also want to go to a redsox yankees game at fenway too) I just want to see one of oldest and most unique ballparks in peace!

I have been around fenway a few times but never went in. There was a punk rock club right across from the green monster called 'the rat' (it's closed now) I actually went to a show there while a games was going on! There was another club in that area I went to too.

Boston is a real nice city my Brother in law lives there been there lots of times. It can be a fun place, Helps being Irish
                    39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
                    2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15 16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

Originally posted by Urbanshocker13 View Post
                      I really want to go to Fenway when the red sox ....

I actually went to a show there while a games was going on! There was another club in that area I went to too.
                      That other club must have been the Boston Braves, so I guess you went in the early 1950s, before the Braves left.

Comment

Originally posted by DickZ View Post
                        That other club must have been the Boston Braves, so I guess you went in the early 1950s, before the Braves left.
                        LOL I wish! It was some club that looked like a old time movie theater right by Jillians. I remember I was standing right in front of Jillians with a friend of mine some guy pulled up ans asked us if we were the valet ( Valet with Doc Martins boots and one with a mohawk?) I told him yes but he just laughed and didn't give me his keys
                        39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
                        2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15 16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

Best Stadium In Baseball !!!!!!

You could have a mini vacation on Yawkey Way for 3 days and go to a couple of good ballgames as well. So much to do outside the stadium. I go every year and i once spent 3 days just on Yawkey Way. It was awesome.

Ell$bury I$ The MAN !!!!

[email protected] $ully

Comment

By the way IRISH BROS AL THE WAY !!!!

Ell$bury I$ The MAN !!!!

[email protected] $ully

Comment

I am coming from Iowa and will be attending the Patriots Day game on Monday. This will be the first time to Fenway since i joined the Air force and moved away 18 years ago. I am interested to see how Fenway looks now with all the changes.

I plan on taking the T right to Fenway because it is going to be a mob scene with the Boston Marathon and game going on. I am so looking forward to it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X