Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoubleX
    You think Jeter is high maitenance?

I think all three of the guys I mentioned are, with Jeter being the lowest on that scale. Could be that "high maintenance" has a variety of meanings, but I have an image of all three of them expecting and insisting on exactly what they want when they want it.
    Yes, Damon fits into that image, too.
    "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

they censored me? look what the FCC has done to this world.lol.

Comment

Originally posted by kckid2599
        they censored me? look what the FCC has done to this world.lol.
        Who censored you?

If you were truly being censored here, you wouldn't be able to create this post, as your account would've been nuked like a TV dinner.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
          I think all three of the guys I mentioned are, with Jeter being the lowest on that scale. Could be that "high maintenance" has a variety of meanings, but I have an image of all three of them expecting and insisting on exactly what they want when they want it.
          I think that could apply to most baseball players. If Jeter is anything, it's that he's a product of his hype, and not the other way around, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SoxSon
            In the case of Jeter, he pretty much carries himself with a good amount of dignity. When we've had guys like Mariano, Pettitte, Posada, Bernie, there's no way a guy who's loose with the words or disrespectful to others could be in his position as captain.

A-Rod seems like the guy who's kept within a small crowd for much of his life, but I've never read any bio of him. I don't keep up with his social life, other than hearing about his wife and young kid (daughter, I think). Perhaps he tries too much in the "see what I nice guy I am" department, but I've never heard of him being nasty or anything. He could likely improve his social skills by dealing with some regular folks a few more times.

Sheffield's got strong opinions on things, from what I've read. He seems like the type who's unworried about whether what he says is or isn't politically correct. He'll say what's on his mind.

For Reggie Jackson, he of the "I didn't come to Yankee Stadium to become a star; I brought my star with me" is obviously of the hi-maintenance crowd. However, he's of the "admire my game" and "watch me strut around the bases" type of thing. Interestingly, at one Old Timer's Game (2004, I think), he still hadn't lost that jumping, jogging strut. In fact, the umps "let" him get not only go to 3B on a double, they even let him score. It was hilarious!

Damon seems like he's in a different category. While he joins a long list of famously-shorn Yankees such as Lou Piniella, Don Mattingly, David Wells, Jason Giambi and Randy Johnson, he's the first I remember whose haircut itself made the front pages, especially since it was at a pricey salon where the celebrities would more likely go than baseball players.

That to me is totally different from someone like Manny Ramirez, whom I'd mentioned earlier. He's just a goofy type of person, but I don't think he purposely wishes to have all of the attention given to him. Perhaps since he's been described as a "man-child" in a slightly goofy way, that may be why he requires the attention. However, it's not because of his looks that he desires attention, unlike Damon.

That's my take, so now you Sawx fans can kick me out on the front porch whenever you tire of reading my nonsense.
            Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)

Comment

I get the impression that there are many players who fans might consider to be "high maintenance" but aren't really at all. The media has such huge influence in the information we get and they spin it, whether done intentionally or unintentionally.

Specifically, what makes a player "high maintenance"? What does he have to do to fall into this category?
              Cheering the Yanks from various parts of Asia

Comment

Originally posted by AVA8
                I get the impression that there are many players who fans might consider to be "high maintenance" but aren't really at all. The media has such huge influence in the information we get and they spin it, whether done intentionally or unintentionally.

Specifically, what makes a player "high maintenance"? What does he have to do to fall into this category?
                Mainly be a guy who you have to put up a lot with to get his considerable talent. Trust me, some underperforming .240 hitter or a guy who can't even throw a decent curve ball will never *EVER* be considered hi-maintenance.

In baseball, as in otherwise, the term "hi-maintenance" is best often accompanied with "hi-mileage", meaning they give quite a bit in return. Of course, "low-maintenance" + "high mileage" is the ideal, but doesn't always work out that way.

If a player expects tons of respect from the fans, or from the front office (read: $$$), then he's got an ego that must be soothed.

Others need to be liked too much, while the next may be very immature and adult decisions may not always come to him (or from him) very easily.

The simple thing is that if he's a pain to deal with, even if you like him at times, he's hi-maintenance. So long as he produces, many of us will deal with said maintenance, presuming it's a part of the package, and we've already accepted the package deal.

Kind of like a diva in a crazy way. Awesome voice, but ohhhhh so fussy about the way they're treated.

Comment

Might I inject another hot question in here to fellow Red Sox fans and ask: what if he had done the ad a few days after he signed with New York and not months after? Would it have made a difference in your opinion of him?

IMHO if he had put out the ad then I think it would have been the best way possible to leave Boston without "burning bridges". Putting it out in February is simply a slap in the face of fans and a "hey you guys, remember me?" statement. Frankly, he fanned the flames of hatred against him and rightfully earned all of the boos and hissing that he will get when the Yankees visit the first time this year.

All that will be forgotten though when he boots a ball that costs the Yankees a game while Coco makes an amazing catch and hits a game winning home run
                  Best posts ever:
                  Originally posted by nymdan
                  Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                  Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                  I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X