We Are Going To Lose This Lead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We Are Going To Lose This Lead

I can't stand seeing us play .500 ball anymore, and the Yanks keep on winning. Since we were up 10 games, I felt this lead would start to dwindle down. Now it's four games and I feel the same way. The Yanks have bneen playing better ball, right now they are the better team in my opinion.

I've been watching the Sox since the post season of 04, and they were great then, I knew they would come through down 0 and 3 to the Yanks. However, I have seen the Sox los the division in 05 to the Yanks, then again in 06 to the Yanks, and I see it happening again.

Sorry if I'm being pessimistic, but I am not content with the team at the moment. They make me mad when they lose. I wish for the best, but I see us going to New York up one game, to end up being down by one game or two in the division.

I think that you are the only person that I have ever heard say that they knew that the red sox would come back from being down 0-3 to the yankees in 2004. Most people that I know say that they thought that it was pretty much over, because thats what it seemed like. I wasnt into baseball in 2004, I didnt really get into it until last year but I have to say that I probably wouldn't have believed that the Red Sox would've come back to win that series, and that would've been basing it on all of their history.

But anyway, to the point of your post. Yes it makes all Red Sox fans mad when they lose. I mean I cried when they were swept by the Yankees last year. But yeah, IMO the season is going to end with the Red Sox being 1 1/2 games up on the yankees. We have to play 6 more games against them this year. If we dont pick things up were going to end up dropping 4 of those. We should've had the better schedule for the rest of the team, seeing that we are playing more teams under 500 than they are, and we have a better record against the teams that we are playing, than they do against thier opponents. But its august...and this is Boston that were talking about. If I remember correctly we were up 14 games over the yankees at one point...hmmm...this reminds me of 1978...and we all know what happened that second...so I dont think that I need to say any names. But I do not think that it is time to start freaking out. Let the yankees get within 1 game and then we can start freaking out. Right now it is not called for. We just need to start using our bullpen better. and we need to start hitting again.
    "Original sin wasn't when Eve ate the apple, but when those damn unicorns didn't get on the ark"- Haley Murphy Morrill (2/14/92 - 9/26/07)

^^this was the last status update that Haley had on her facebook page^^

Haley you will always be in my heart <

Comment

Originally posted by redsoxocd View Post
      I think that you are the only person that I have ever heard say that they knew that the red sox would come back from being down 0-3 to the yankees in 2004. Most people that I know say that they thought that it was pretty much over, because thats what it seemed like. I wasnt into baseball in 2004, I didnt really get into it until last year but I have to say that I probably wouldn't have believed that the Red Sox would've come back to win that series, and that would've been basing it on all of their history.

But anyway, to the point of your post. Yes it makes all Red Sox fans mad when they lose. I mean I cried when they were swept by the Yankees last year. But yeah, IMO the season is going to end with the Red Sox being 1 1/2 games up on the yankees. We have to play 6 more games against them this year. If we dont pick things up were going to end up dropping 4 of those. We should've had the better schedule for the rest of the team, seeing that we are playing more teams under 500 than they are, and we have a better record against the teams that we are playing, than they do against thier opponents. But its august...and this is Boston that were talking about. If I remember correctly we were up 14 games over the yankees at one point...hmmm...this reminds me of 1978...and we all know what happened that second...so I dont think that I need to say any names. But I do not think that it is time to start freaking out. Let the yankees get within 1 game and then we can start freaking out. Right now it is not called for. We just need to start using our bullpen better. and we need to start hitting again.
      Ab the 04 season- I wasn't completely familiar with the "curse", I just had that feeling that we would win. I feel this team was better than our team now anyway. I knew the Yanks were tough, and it was hard, but it just seemed perfect to me if the Sox won. And at this time (probably game 4 or 5) is when I really became a Sox fan.

I know I panic early, I just wish I had an alarm clock to wake up these Red Sox! We get hits, we can't score runs home. Our pitching isn't much better than the Yanks currently, maybe a bit better, but our run production is by far worse. I'm not counting the Yanks out yet.

Comment

That's the spirit!
        Originally posted by Domenic
        The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

The Yankees are playing .720 ball right now (13-5 in August). 12 of their games have been at home. If they continue to play this well then unfortunately they will win the division. However I can't imagine this happening.

The Yankees have six straight road games, where they are a game under .500 right now, with LAA and Det before the series with the Sox. Both those teams are desperate to win games and need to win as bad as the Yankees.

The Sox do need to step it up there is no question about that. If the Sox can take 4 out of 6 coming up and the Yankees split then the lead is 5 games going into the series. Not so bad.
          "Bats - I'm going to tell you a secret - I'm good and I'm getting better. I can't stand it I'm so good." Ted Williams to catcher Matt Batts Spring Training 1949.

Comment

I'm willing to bet things don't change much until the series against the Yankees. We have relitivly easy competition, and the Yankees have very tough competition, but that doesn't mean they'll slow down the way they've been playing. Being modist, we should at least take 2 out of 3 vs. Tampa and should at least split the series against the Soxs, if not more. And the way the Yankees are playing, I can seem them doing the same against LAA and the Tigers.

So, in short, The series against the Yankees (Aug. 29-31) is going to be one of the most important of the season, if not the most important of the season. If they sweep, we got a very close race, if we sweep, that could push us out of reach. If we split, things shouldn't change much, which would make the Sep. 14-16 series very important.

Comment

Christ, wait until the series against them at Fenway before you make any judgements. If you get swept at Fenway, then yeah, you'll probably lose the lead. However, if you're able to beat them at Fenway, which I think you will, then you'll be fine.

CALM DOWN

The Yankees do not have the pitching to make it down the stretch run. Mike Mussina will derail them every fifth game, and the rest of the line up will cool down. Also Torre will find someway to mismanage a huge game.

You have nothing to worry about.
              "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
                I'm willing to bet things don't change much until the series against the Yankees. We have relitivly easy competition, and the Yankees have very tough competition, but that doesn't mean they'll slow down the way they've been playing. Being modist, we should at least take 2 out of 3 vs. Tampa and should at least split the series against the Soxs, if not more. And the way the Yankees are playing, I can seem them doing the same against LAA and the Tigers.

So, in short, The series against the Yankees (Aug. 29-31) is going to be one of the most important of the season, if not the most important of the season. If they sweep, we got a very close race, if we sweep, that could push us out of reach. If we split, things shouldn't change much, which would make the Sep. 14-16 series very important.
                I agree completely. The Yankees during the entire Torre era, have struggled against the Angels for whatever reason. I'm looking for the Yankees to take 1 against the Angels and split the 4 game series with the Tigers, making them 3-4 on the trip. So the Sox should pick up a couple of games. I'd be surprised if the Yankees were closer than the current 4 game separation when they play the Sox next week. If the lead is 4 games or less, it probably means that the Sox have not taken care of business, IMO.

Comment

Lets be realistic here, there was no way, absolutely no way, that we were going to go wire to wire with a 10+ game lead. Every contending team has a stretch like the Red Sox are going through right now, and every contending team has a stretch like the Yankees are going through right now. Would we even care as much if it were the Orioles or Devil Rays or Blue Jays this close? No, probably not. The only reason we care as much about it is because its the Yankees and Red Sox.
                  "He gave the term 'complete' a new meaning. He made the word 'superstar' seem inadequate. He had about him the touch of royalty." - Baseball Commissioner Bowie Kuhn on Roberto Clemente

my blog

4-16-07 RIP Va. Tech 32

Comment

We should just boycott the Red Sox until they get their lead back up over ten games. We have to show them that we actually prefer winning over losing, in a way that they will get the message because they don’t even understand that winning is better than losing because they seem to prefer losing and I don’t understand why they want to be a bunch of losers when we all want them to be winners. Is that so complicated that they can’t even understand it? If we boycott them, maybe they will start to understand that winning is better than losing and that they shouldn’t do so many dumb things. Besides, if we boycott them we won’t have to watch them blow it all every day because it’s so upsetting. I don’t understand a team that prefers losing over winning and I’m not going to stand for it. I am just going to watch my “I Love Lucy” DVDs. Lucy always wins in them, except for the ones when she loses. I just don’t know how I’ll tell when the lead gets back to ten games since I’m not going to be watching. Maybe someone can send me a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisLDuncan View Post
                      Christ, wait until the series against them at Fenway before you make any judgements. If you get swept at Fenway, then yeah, you'll probably lose the lead. However, if you're able to beat them at Fenway, which I think you will, then you'll be fine.

CALM DOWN

The Yankees do not have the pitching to make it down the stretch run. Mike Mussina will derail them every fifth game, and the rest of the line up will cool down. Also Torre will find someway to mismanage a huge game.

You have nothing to worry about.
                      I can see us getting swept at Fenway by the Yanks. They have been playing better than we have.

Originally posted by natsnsoxfan View Post
                      Lets be realistic here, there was no way, absolutely no way, that we were going to go wire to wire with a 10+ game lead. Every contending team has a stretch like the Red Sox are going through right now, and every contending team has a stretch like the Yankees are going through right now. Would we even care as much if it were the Orioles or Devil Rays or Blue Jays this close? No, probably not. The only reason we care as much about it is because its the Yankees and Red Sox.
                      It's lasted too long to be a strech in my opinion (our scoring runs).

Comment

Originally posted by adam1990 View Post
                        I can see us getting swept at Fenway by the Yanks. They have been playing better than we have.
                        And even before the series at Fenway is a series at Yankee Stadium next week. We have seven games to play other teams before we play the Yankees so we'll probably lose them all and the Yankees will win all theirs, putting us three games back when we go into Yankee Stadium. Then if we get swept in New York, we'll be six games back - and all that happens before the Yankees come to Fenway.

I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Comment

It is a sad day in Red Sox Nation when the fan base is ready to jump off of the bandwagon.

What happened to having faith? People are acting like the Sox are 10 games out. A four game split with the Angels is not a bad thing at all, for the love of god they are the second best team in baseball behind the Sox. The Red Sox have been playing .500 ball the last two months, sound familiar? This is the same thing they did in 04 and 05. The season is 162 games teams go through hot and cold stretches. The Sox played .700 ball at the beginning of the year(they were 36-16 at the end of May) now the Yankees are hot. The idea is to not get into prolonged losing streaks, which the Sox have not, and in September you should be in good shape.

It's to bad that Red Sox fans have "thrown in the towel," with a four game LEAD. I hope these are not the same fans that in October are saying "I told you they would be in the playoffs."
                          "Bats - I'm going to tell you a secret - I'm good and I'm getting better. I can't stand it I'm so good." Ted Williams to catcher Matt Batts Spring Training 1949.

Comment

DickZ is killing me!!!
                            :applaud:

I will say that Theo will probably be truly roasted if the Bosox don't make the playoffs...Gagne, Drew, Lugo, and Pena have all pretty much blown up in his face. But, I will admit that I thought that Gagne and Lugo were good pickups at the time, and felt that Pena was Manny insurance who lost his value when Manny stayed. I thought that Drew would just be missing lots of games...I kind of wish that he WAS missing games, now.
                            I don't quibble with letting Arroyo, Lowe, and Pedro go...and, I'd sure like to have Hanley Ramirez back, but having Beckett around is pretty cool. I wonder if Hanley would have blossomed in the same way in the pressure (bean)pot that is Boston, and he sure wasn't tearing AA up before he left, but this is one time when the scouts knew what they were talking about.
                            "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by brose3312 View Post
                              It is a sad day in Red Sox Nation when the fan base is ready to jump off of the bandwagon..... It's to bad that Red Sox fans have "thrown in the towel," with a four game LEAD. I hope these are not the same fans that in October are saying "I told you they would be in the playoffs."
                              As the one who posted the 'throwing in the towel' quote, I guess I should step up and tell you that I agree with you wholeheartedly. My intent was to show that the recent gloom-and-doom talk isn't at all justified. Furthermore, it's just plain silly. We're doing very well despite the fact that we're only four games ahead.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X