No announcement yet.

We Are Going To Lose This Lead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mussina had been ok/adequate until recently. He had a winning record and a respectable 4.50 ERA before the last three starts. Now he's 8-10 with a whopping 5.53 ERA. I still think the Yanks are a great team, but without an effective Mussina they're in deep trouble. There's even talk of dropping him from the rotation! Can you imagine winning the division and the Yankees failing to even make the playoffs??!!! :crossfingers:
    BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

Originally posted by MudvilleMike View Post
      Can you imagine winning the division and the Yankees failing to even make the playoffs??!!!
      Every day since 2004.

I want this more than I want a BoSox WS ring. If the Yankees so much as squeak into the post season, it will be seen as a partial vindication of their managerial approach. I want Steinbrenner and company to spend a long off-season contemplating how they can fail to reach the ALDS with a payroll well in excess of $200 million. I won't argue that the Red Sox are much better in throwing money around, but the deep pockets of New York sets the pace, especially in the AL East, and its about time they did so with sanity.

2007 World Series Champions
      The Boston Red Sox

Comment

our bad streak is over. every team has a bad streak during the season. now it depends which is longer, the one of our opponents or our bad streak. Hey the red sox have the better team, more balanced, far better pitching. redsox are the logical divisiowinner!
        I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

Our bad streak been over since the All-Star break. Pessimistic Red Sox fan just thought we weren't playing that good.

Comment

Ridiculous! The Yankees only chance to get by the Red Sox is to eke out a victory in the Wild Card Standings over Seattle and Detroit and then beat the Sox in the playoffs. Most ridiculous of all is that you made that statement after a 16-0 humiliation the Yankees suffered at the hands of the Tigers. They also lost to the Angels 18-9 in the same week. A rookie is starting in Mussina's next turn in the rotation since Moose has been so ineffective lately, Clemens hasn't provided the boost the Yankees expected, Hughes has lived up to his promise only occasionally, and even Wang hasn't been a sure thing of late. Only Pettite is pitching well now (in fact he's pitching great) -but quit stressing, man. The Yankees dug themselves a deep hole with poor play and injuries early in the season and they are running out of time and games, to dig themselves out.

Comment

For the remainder of the regular season...

28 games to play (18 at home/10 away). The team has just 2 road trips left; a 4-game trip to Baltimore and a 6-game trip to Toronto and Tampa Bay.

Baltimore - 3 home (Aug. 31-Sept. 2), 4 away (Sept. 6-9)
              New York - 3 home (Sept. 14-16)
              Tampa Bay - 3 home (Sept. 10-12), 3 away (Sept. 21-23)
              Toronto - 3 home (Sept. 3-5), 3 away (Sept. 17-19)
              Oakland - 2 home (Sept. 25-26)
              Minnesota - 4 home (Sept. 27-30)

No that tough of a schedule. Only the Yankees are a playoff contender team we'll face. The Sox have dominated the division teams at home this year and have the best record in that category. If the Sox split the 28 games, the Yankees have to go 19-9 to the tie the Red Sox.

If we're going to clinch our 1st division title since 1995 then we're going to have to go out and play these games as the aggressor and not playing passive or not to lose. Some say that we may deserve it (division) the way the year has gone, but you have to finish what you started. Earn it!

Comment

Anything is possible until the Red Sox officially clinch the division. I think that the Yankees will have to sweep the Red Sox in Boston to have a shot at the division, but it could still be possible if they took 2 of 3 or even 1 of 3. It would just be highly unlikely though.

Comment

The magic number is now down to...

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt Dog View Post
                    The magic number is now down to...[picture of jersey with 18]
                    Thanks, Dirt Dog. I hope you'll keep posting these as the magic number continues to plummet. I was trying to keep track by finding Williamsburg's signature, which also shows the current magic number. But it isn't always easy to find one of his posts. If you post here each time it falls, we'll know where to look. Otherwise I'll have to figure it out myself and risk making a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by DickZ View Post
                      Thanks, Dirt Dog. I hope you'll keep posting these as the magic number continues to plummet. I was trying to keep track by finding Williamsburg's signature, which also shows the current magic number. But it isn't always easy to find one of his posts. If you post here each time it falls, we'll know where to look. Otherwise I'll have to figure it out myself and risk making a mistake.

I'm a little embarrassed about this, but how does one figure it out?
                      "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by maximum jack View Post
                        I'm a little embarrassed about this, but how does one figure it out?
                        Magic Number = 163 - Total Current Wins[Red Sox] - Total Current Losses[Yankees]. When it's zero, we have clinched the division - assuming the Yankees are still the second place team. If they aren't, then you have to calculate it based on the new second place team at the time.

Comment

MLB.com has the Elimination number on its standings page as "E#." Which ever one is highest amongst the division non-leaders is the division leader's Magic Number to clinch.

The Red Sox are the only team to already have eliminated another team, Tampa Bay. Baltimore is also three losses or Red Sox wins (or any combination) away from being eliminated. The next lowest elimination number is 5 for the White Sox in the A.L. Central.

Comment

Thanks both of you. I always knew what it meant, but never understood where it came from. One more question, why 163? Is it just because there are 162 games in the season?
                            "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by maximum jack View Post
                              Thanks both of you. I always knew what it meant, but never understood where it came from. One more question, why 163? Is it just because there are 162 games in the season?
                              Yes, it's related to the 162-game season. If you want to find out lots more about all this, just Google "magic number baseball" and you'll get lots of websites that explain it in all kinds of detail that might make you sick if you read too much of it. Unless you really like math textbooks.

Comment

Back in october 2004 i got kicked out of a classroom for arguing with a substitute yankees fan when i told him the day of game four that the sox were coming back well we all know what happen next, the rest of high school i never saw that sub again, the sox will be fine this year they are just in a slump right now. i really like they way Schilling is pitching heading into october

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X