worst quotes in red sox history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worst quotes in red sox history

Just thinking about quotes that I hate hearing. And I was wondering what quotes do you guys hate hearing from past red sox games, as more quotes are posted I'll add them to this list: Here's mine:

"So the winning run is at second base, with two outs, three and two to Mookie Wilson. (A) little roller up along first... behind the bag! It gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight, and the Mets win it!" - Vin Scully- 1986 World series, game 6

Reporter: Any concerns for tomorrow, your first day at Spring Training? Dice K: (lengthy answer in Japanese)
    Interpreter: Mr Matsuzaka san has concern about play catch...finding his...uh...play catch buddy.

"We're loaded with pitching!"

"[Clemens] is in the twilight of his career"

" Who is Karim Garcia ? "

"To the greatest Red Sox team ever!" then everyone else screams "EVER!" ( I dont see how this is one of the worst though)

It wasn't from a game, but how about Jeff Russell, when whining about his contract negotiations, claimed he was the best bargain in baseball since Babe Ruth?
    Last edited by redsoxocd; 08-30-2007, 07:02 PM.
    "Original sin wasn't when Eve ate the apple, but when those damn unicorns didn't get on the ark"- Haley Murphy Morrill (2/14/92 - 9/26/07)

^^this was the last status update that Haley had on her facebook page^^

Haley you will always be in my heart <

Guess He Never Heard Of The Wonders Of The Cream And The Clear

Comment

Originally posted by SBBL View Post
      "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

'To the greatest team in Red Sox history!" Curt Schilling after the end of the 2004 World Series.

Comment

"We're loaded with pitching!" (Several managers used this one a lot)
          "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
          "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

He Ain't Your Daddy

" Who is Karim Garcia ? "

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
              'To the greatest team in Red Sox history!" Curt Schilling after the end of the 2004 World Series.
              You misquoted him...

It was.. "To the greatest Red Sox team ever!" then everyone else screams "EVER!"

I personally loved that. Would be one of my "Best quotes in red sox history"
              Originally posted by Domenic
              The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

It wasn't from a game, but how about Jeff Russell, when whining about his contract negotiations, claimed he was the best bargain in baseball since Babe Ruth?

Comment

The Weirdest quote in Red Sox history:
                  From www.Duffyscliff.com:
                  Reporter: Any concerns for tomorrow, your first day at Spring Training? Dice K: (lengthy answer in Japanese)
                  Interpreter: Mr Matsuzaka san has concern about play catch...finding his...uh...play catch buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
                    The Weirdest quote in Red Sox history:

"Original sin wasn't when Eve ate the apple, but when those damn unicorns didn't get on the ark"- Haley Murphy Morrill (2/14/92 - 9/26/07)

^^this was the last status update that Haley had on her facebook page^^

Haley you will always be in my heart <

Comment

Some nominations:
                      "Manny Ortiz"
                      -John Kerry, when asked who his favorite Red Sox player is.

Carl Everett: The Bible never says anything about dinosaurs. You can't say there were dinosaurs when you never saw them. Someone actually saw Adam and Eve. No one ever saw a Tyrannosaurus rex.

Reporter: What about dinosaur bones?

Carl: Made by man.
                      - "Jurassic" Carl Everett, on... well.. I'm not sure how this one came up.

We are just "the idiots" this year.
                      - Johnny Damon, on the 2004 Red Sox ( A nickname I always hated )

"I will never play for the Yankees."
                      -Johnny Damon (In his defense, I couldn't find a source, but I've heard/seen this quote many times)

The great story we were talking about the other night was that famous red stocking that he wore when they finally won, the blood on his stocking. Nah. It was painted. Doug Mirabelli confessed up to it after. It was all for PR. Two ball, two strike count.....
                      - Gary Thorne, on the 2004 "Bloody Sock" during a Red Sox/Orioles game, 2007.

It's in between a slider and a cutter. I tried the cutter and it was hit-and-miss. The slider really wasn't me, and I just kind of cut the ball at the end and it moves like a slider. It's a 'slutter'. ... When I throw it, I don't pronate [downward twisting motion with his fingers] when I let the ball go. I leave my palm [up]. I kind of cut the ball. That's the angle it comes out.
                      - Jonathon Papelbon, on his new invented pitch, called the "slutter".

Comment

Quote:
                        "I will never play for the Yankees."

-Johnny Damon (In his defense, I couldn't find a source, but I've heard/seen this quote many times)
                        "There's no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they're going to come after me hard," Johnny Damon told mlb.com in May 2005. "It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need."

Alas there is your quote. What a load of poo.

TomC
                        Last edited by ColbyPants; 08-30-2007, 09:51 PM.
                        Author of The Smoking Lounge
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure if he coined it, but every time Tim McCarver says "Manny being Manny" -- I cringe. Come to think of it any time McCarver says just about anything I cringe.
                          "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
                            -John Kerry, when asked who his favorite Red Sox player is.
                            Kerry also once said that his all-time favorite Red Sox player is Eddie Yost, who, incidentally, never played for the Red Sox.
                            "Too many pitchers, that's all, there are just too many pitchers Ten or twelve on a team. Don't see how any of them get enough work. Four starting pitchers and one relief man ought to be enough. Pitch 'em every three days and you'd find they'd get control and good, strong arms."

-Cy Young

Comment

"It ain't easy to grab a bowling ball by the ears."

Bill "Spaceman" Lee on the infamous Pedro vs. Don Zimmer tussle of 2003

2007 World Series Champions
                              The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X