Jacoby Ellsbury needs to play everyday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacoby Ellsbury needs to play everyday

When Manny comes back JD Drew has to sit. He's dead weight & quite frankly this kid Ellsbury is special. I know it's only been a week, but he's a future STUD IMO. He's got incredible power NOW, so I can only imagine how great he can be in a few years.
    Dustin Pedroia was asked what the Red Sox need to do to turn it around. They have lost six straight and 14 of 21.
    “I don’t know. I’m not a magic person. I just play second base,” he said.

Originally posted by bakes781 View Post
    When Manny comes back JD Drew has to sit. He's dead weight & quite frankly this kid Ellsbury is special. I know it's only been a week, but he's a future STUD IMO. He's got incredible power NOW, so I can only imagine how great he can be in a few years.
    Preaching to the choir, methinks.
    "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Jacoby Ellsbury does not have incredible power dude. He's a lead off hitter.
      Originally posted by Domenic
      The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Before he hit two home runs this week, he hit a total of 2 on the entire season, and 10 in his entire minor league career.

I've been watching him all year in Pawtucket, and I think he IS special, but as a leadoff hitter.

We can't forget, though, that this is a kid who started the year at AA. He isn't going to keep this pace up, nobody can. There will be bumps in the road, for sure. I'd love to see him in the everyday lineup next season, especially if he has a strong spring training.
        Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Jacoby Ellsbury should not be playing over J.D. Drew

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox Rule View Post
            Jacoby Ellsbury should not be playing over J.D. Drew
            Huh? :disbelief:

Youv'e got to be kidding!

I realize Ellsbury is playing above his head hitting over .400, and eventually he'll cool off a bit, but Drew has has been awful.

Someone (I think Hellborn) said they believe Drew's hiding an injury which is why he's hitting so poorly. I think that's a possiblilty.

I'd absolutely bench Drew at this point and play Ellsbury in his place, at least while Jacoby is hitting so well. I think we should take advantage of the best players to try and win the division.

Maybe with some time on the pine, Drew might (if injured) heal up and start hitting like he has in the NL, or at least better then .250. Besides I love Ellsbury's enthusiasm and hustling all out style of play, and his bat.

I'm still hoping Drew will improve and play the way he has in the past, and eventually I think he will, maybe he'll even be the playoff hero. But while Ellsbury is playing so well, I'd absolutely play him over Drew.

Comment

Ellsbury is more of the player we saw for 401 PA's in Pawtucket than the player we saw for 83 PA's in Portland and 40 in Boston. Ellsbury had a .740 OPS in Pawtucket, J.D. Drew has a .735 OPS in the Majors. Saying you want Ellsbury playing everyday over J.D. Drew is nothing more than a kneejerk reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogdaze View Post
                Huh? :disbelief:

Youv'e got to be kidding!

I realize Ellsbury is playing above his head hitting over .400, and eventually he'll cool off a bit, but Drew has has been awful.

Someone (I think Hellborn) said they believe Drew's hiding an injury which is why he's hitting so poorly. I think that's a possiblilty.

I'd absolutely bench Drew at this point and play Ellsbury in his place, at least while Jacoby is hitting so well. I think we should take advantage of the best players to try and win the division.

Maybe with some time on the pine, Drew might (if injured) heal up and start hitting like he has in the NL, or at least better then .250. Besides I love Ellsbury's enthusiasm and hustling all out style of play, and his bat.

I'm still hoping Drew will improve and play the way he has in the past, and eventually I think he will, maybe he'll even be the playoff hero. But while Ellsbury is playing so well, I'd absolutely play him over Drew.
                Interesting point about the injury possibility. Shawn Green continued to play 160 games a year with a bad shoulder, and it definitely changed him. Drew had a reputation in LA as a guy who would sit out whenever he broke a finger nail, behavior which would go over worse in Boston. It is possible that he has tried to play through his injury because he fears the reaming he would get in the press. Either way, he has been awful this year. I cringed when they signed him, a terrific player with incredible potential when he feels like it.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox Rule View Post
                  Ellsbury is more of the player we saw for 401 PA's in Pawtucket than the player we saw for 83 PA's in Portland and 40 in Boston. Ellsbury had a .740 OPS in Pawtucket, J.D. Drew has a .735 OPS in the Majors. Saying you want Ellsbury playing everyday over J.D. Drew is nothing more than a kneejerk reaction.
                  Hardly.

Other then the first few weeks of the year, Drew has underperformed, at least compared to how he hit in the NL. In other words, what has he done for us lately! But the Sox have given Drew the entire year to show he can hit, and time after time he's failed to live up to what he had accomplished in the NL. So I don't care if his MLB OPS is better then Ellsbury's minor league OPS. I care more about who's playing better currently, and thats Jacoby Ellsbury.

So I'd rather play the hot hitting enthusiastc rookie over the poor hitting underachiever. At least while Jacoby is hitting hot and Drew is not!. I believe this Gives the Sox a better chance to win.

Now, Drews poor performance may be due to a hidden injury. And I'm not writing Drew off completely, I still have hope he'll hit better. I'm just wanting to play the best players we have available to help us win now.
                  Last edited by Dogdaze; 09-06-2007, 10:43 AM.

Comment

While Manny is out, it's kind of a non-issue...I imagine that more often than not, we'll see both playing until Manny comes back.

Comment

How can you possibly feel better with Drew out there in the post season? I didn't even mention the fact that Ellsbury is just as good a fielder & baserunner. The ONLY edge JD has over Jacoby is that he's a lefty & that's of very minimal importance to me. And the kid does have power! Did you not see what he did to that ball in the dirt last night? I'm telling you he's going to be a superstar.
                      Dustin Pedroia was asked what the Red Sox need to do to turn it around. They have lost six straight and 14 of 21.
                      “I don’t know. I’m not a magic person. I just play second base,” he said.

Comment

How can you possibly feel better with Drew out there in the post season? I didn't even mention the fact that Ellsbury is just as good a fielder & baserunner. The ONLY edge JD has over Jacoby is that he's a lefty & that's of very minimal importance to me. And the kid does have power! Did you not see what he did to that ball in the dirt last night? I'm telling you he's going to be a superstar.
                        He has gap power, but you can't base your assessment of a guy as a home run hitter on ONE home run. He's hit a total of 12 since being drafted, and 4 this year (and McCoy isn't a particularly big ballpark).

I agree he's going to be good, but more in a high AVG/OBP and Speed/Defense way than for home runs.

Comment

The ONLY edge JD has over Jacoby is that he's a lefty .
                          Ellsbury is also a lefty and doesn't hit lefties at all.

Can we all please stop acting like Ellsbury is a superstar? He will be a good Major League CF whom, in a good year, will hit .300 with about a .370 OBP and have slugging percentages ranging from about .390 to .420. He's a good baserunner and a good fielder, but he's no superstar.

Comment

He's a good player, reminds me a lot of Johnny Damon, but he's not a right fielder...he doesn't have the arm to do that. He's more of a CF/LF type of guy. Isn't Manny hurt now? If that's the case I would assume that he is starting everyday.
                            "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                              While Manny is out, it's kind of a non-issue...I imagine that more often than not, we'll see both playing until Manny comes back.
                              You are correct, but I'm referring to when Manny returns from the DL.

I know Ellsbury will eventually cool down, hitting wise, but Drew has been awful most of the year currently hitting around .250, so I'm suggesting that while Ellsbury is hitting well, he take Drews RF position until he cools down, then bring Drew back in.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X