The Papel Hurt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Papel Hurt?

I was watching yesterday's game and noticed...Paps was about 90-92 consistenly the whole time out there.

What gives? I could have sworn he was usually in the 94-97 range?

Is he hurt? Tired? Dead arm?
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

I don't think so. We protected him all year, and unless his shoulder is weaker than last year, he can handle three straight appearences. Maybe he just didn't get a good enough warmup, or just an off day.

Comment

Are you talking about Friday night's game?
      Papelbon's FB was consistently 94-95 on the gun they show at the park...maybe a tad low for him, but not bad.
      I think that the biggest problem that night was that Tek would basically only call from fastballs from all the pitchers. It was immensely frustrating, and I don't know why he wasn't shaken off more often. He barely called for Oki's change, Dice K threw about 80% fastballs and he's supposed to have 5 pitches, and Papelbon only threw FBs to Jeter, Abreu, and ARod. I think that the Yanks were used to just sitting on them by that point and could even hit Papelbon easily because there was no threat of being fooled.
      What a horrendous game...5 hours for 9 innings, a comeback that made the Bosox look weak and foolish, and questionable managing by Tito (why did Oki come in when he did???). That game was in hand, and Dice K showed a lot of guts to stick around as long as he did and constantly get out of jams...then, the team's spirit just gets crushed, anyway.
      I do have to admit that the Bosox got a lot of favorable calls from the men in blue, wouldn't have had that big lead in the first place without them.
      "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X