What's Francona to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Francona to do?

Who will the BoSox start at 1B when they play in Coors Field? Big Papi or Youk? (As we all know that there is no DH in NL parks)
    If Ortiz plays at first, do you play Youk at 3B? In the outfield? Remember he does have experience out there. So what does Francona do?
    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

Youk didn't play in the 2004 World Series. Big Papi played first base for the two games in Saint Louis, relieved in the late innings by Doug Mientkiewicz. Big Papi did just fine in the field.

However, with Big Papi's knees this year, and with Youk playing well right now, I hope that Youk plays first in Colorado, and that Big Papi just pinch hits. But I'm not in charge, so I don't know what will actually happen.

Comment

Originally posted by DickZ View Post
      Youk didn't play in the 2004 World Series. Big Papi played first base for the two games in Saint Louis, relieved in the late innings by Doug Mientkiewicz. Big Papi did just fine in the field.

However, with Big Papi's knees this year, and with Youk playing well right now, I hope that Youk plays first in Colorado, and that Big Papi just pinch hits. But I'm not in charge, so I don't know what will actually happen.
      Papi threw Suppan out at 3B after Jeff's bizarre dance on the baseline in the Pedro game...it was a nice throw, better than anything Jason Giambi or Steve Garvey could come up with.
      "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by DickZ View Post

Plus Youk is a much more established hitter now than he was back in '04. During interleague play Francona rotated days off between Youk, Papi & Lowell. I imagine he'll stick with this plan & the order in which they go will depend on the pitching matchups.
        Dustin Pedroia was asked what the Red Sox need to do to turn it around. They have lost six straight and 14 of 21.
        “I don’t know. I’m not a magic person. I just play second base,” he said.

Comment

Let's put Papi at Short!
          "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by maximum jack View Post
            Let's put Papi at Short!
            lol if we could put youk or lowell there that would be perfect.
            Dustin Pedroia was asked what the Red Sox need to do to turn it around. They have lost six straight and 14 of 21.
            “I don’t know. I’m not a magic person. I just play second base,” he said.

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing Youk out in RF.
              But, even when he doesn't hit, Drew is a pretty good defensive OFer, fast with a good arm. Manny in LF and Youk in RF might be pretty scary in a big park like Colorado's.
              Scratch that!
              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by bakes781 View Post
                Plus Youk is a much more established hitter now than he was back in '04. During interleague play Francona rotated days off between Youk, Papi & Lowell. I imagine he'll stick with this plan & the order in which they go will depend on the pitching matchups.
                That would be my guess, depends on who's pitching for the Rox. If it's a lefty, I imagine Papi sits, if it's a righty, I can see Papi playing at first base.
                Last edited by Dogdaze; 10-23-2007, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maximum jack View Post
                  Let's put Papi at Short!
                  LOL. If only he could play SS.

Maybe Youk could play 2nd base and move Pedoria to SS?

Youk played 2 games at 2nd base in 2005, and Pedoria played SS in college.

Comment

Has Lowell ever played SS or 2nd? Put Lugo on the bench and use as a late inning defensive replacement. Let Lowell play 2nd or SS, put Pedroia at the other position, Youk at 3rd, Big Papi at 1st.

Comment

I dont think ol Mikey can handle 2B or SS.
                      Originally posted by Domenic
                      The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog daze View Post
                        That would be my guess, depends on who's pitching for the Rox. If it's a lefty, I imagine Papi sits, if it's a righty, I can see Papi playing at first base.
                        I don't think the Sox can sit Ortiz. In the World Series I think you sub Ortiz for Youk at first. I know Youk had an outstanding ALCS and is a gold glove first baseman but I don't see how you take Ortiz' bat out of the lineup. You start Ortiz and if the Sox get a lead you stick Youk in for defense. It's a bad move to put Youk at third, where he has hardly played, in such an important series.
                        "Bats - I'm going to tell you a secret - I'm good and I'm getting better. I can't stand it I'm so good." Ted Williams to catcher Matt Batts Spring Training 1949.

Comment

It's tough to not have Big Papi's bat in the lineup. Here is a comparison of the three men's numbers in the Regular Season, ALDS, ALCS and overall Postseason.

Code:

NAME          	  REG	 ALDS	 ALCS	 POST
                          David Ortiz	1.066	2.418	0.966	1.318
                          Kevin Youkilis	0.843	0.869	1.504	1.314
                          Mike Lowell	0.879	0.919	0.894	0.900
                          Defensively, Youkilis at first and Lowell at third is clearly the best defensive combination. However, I do think that Ortiz at first with Lowell at third is closer to that than it is to Ortiz at first with Youkilis at third. Youkilis play at third base hasn't been that great in his limited time there over the past two season. Granted, much of that has to do with him mostly playing first base.

I just see it as very difficult to remove one of the best bats in all of baseball from the lineup. One of the positive thing is that Tito doesn't have to make an ultimate decision until after the first two games of the World Series.

Comment

Originally posted by brose3312 View Post
                            I don't think the Sox can sit Ortiz. In the World Series I think you sub Ortiz for Youk at first. I know Youk had an outstanding ALCS and is a gold glove first baseman but I don't see how you take Ortiz' bat out of the lineup. You start Ortiz and if the Sox get a lead you stick Youk in for defense. It's a bad move to put Youk at third, where he has hardly played, in such an important series.
                            Thats why I'm suggesting to try Pedoria at SS and Youk at 2nd, and have Papi play first. Not sure if that would work, but it might.

But my guess is Tito will either start Papi at first and if we have a lead, Youk will come in later, or he will do the lefty/righty thing. I.E. Play Papi at first if the Rox use a right handed pitcher, or play Youk at 1st if a lefty is pitching.

Comment

Another thought that just occurred to me is, that Colorado was one of the NL's best bunting teams, and plays pretty good small ball, so Tito may be forced to play Youk more at 1st base for defensive reasons.

But I guess we'll find out what Titio has planned soon enough!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X