Red Sox Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charger567 View Post
    Why would ANYONE trade for Lugo? His contract was a huge bust. We'd have to pay so much of it to get rid of him.
    The same reason the Rockies were trying to get Tavarez and Seanez last year? I've already read that a team has inquired about him, so don't act like its impossible. Would we have to eat some of his contract? Probably. Do I care? Nope.
    Originally posted by Domenic
    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westlake View Post
      The same reason the Rockies were trying to get Tavarez and Seanez last year? I've already read that a team has inquired about him, so don't act like its impossible. Would we have to eat some of his contract? Probably. Do I care? Nope.
      And that reason is?

Comment

And that reason is?
        Someone is always in need of something. Someone is always willing to take a gamble. Tavarez sucked for us, but the Rockies needed him. Lugo might have not worked out for us, but another GM might take a chance on him.
        The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Why would ANYONE trade for Lugo? His contract was a huge bust. We'd have to pay so much of it to get rid of him.
          There's a thin FA market all around, including at shortstop. A team would be better off trading for Lugo than signing someone worse for as much or more money.

That being said, I think Lugo will do better this year in Boston than last, and his contract could prove worthwhile. If he has a better year, the Red Sox could also shop him around NEXT winter, after Lowrie's had a full season of seasoning at AAA. With only two years left on his contract, Lugo could look like a steal to some teams, especially if he has a solid season.
          Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• I noticed Francona's contract is up at the end of next season... anyone think it's time for an extension? 2 or 3 more years?

C - ???
            1B - Kevin Youkilis
            2B - Dustin Pedroia
            SS - Jed Lowrie
            3B - Mike Lowell
            RF - J.D. Drew
            CF - Jacoby Elllsbury
            LF - ???
            DH - David Ortiz

SP - Josh Beckett
            SP - Daisuke Matsuzaka
            SP - Clay Buchholz
            SP - Jon Lester
            SP - Justin Masterson/Devern Hansack

RP - Jonathan Papelbon
            RP - Manny DelCarmen
            RP - David Pauley
            RP - Hideki Okajima????

Yeah so i'm bored.

Comment

• ya, i think we should give him 2 or 3 more years...he was fustrating at time this year, but he did manage 2 World Champions so that right there should get him something.

Comment

I noticed Francona's contract is up at the end of next season... anyone think it's time for an extension? 2 or 3 more years?

DH - David Ortiz
                I sure hope Francona gets a nice contract - but it has to be now while he's a genius, when we don't have to listen to how he has somehow reverted back to an idiot again, depending on what happened in the last two games.

And let's hope Big Papi is still thrilling us in 2010, but it might be a lot to ask for.
                Last edited by DickZ; 11-08-2007, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I noticed Francona's contract is up at the end of next season... anyone think it's time for an extension? 2 or 3 more years?
                  I've heard one is in the works, and I'm sure a raise will be involved. For all the complaints from the peanut gallery, Franconia works good in the Red Sox system. He's bought into what Theo and company are tying to do, and the results are hard to argue with.
                  Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                    I've heard one is in the works, and I'm sure a raise will be involved. For all the complaints from the peanut gallery, Franconia works good in the Red Sox system. He's bought into what Theo and company are tying to do, and the results are hard to argue with.
                    He has a great mix of influential veterans, rising stars, young contributors, and a coaching staff that seems to have something to prove(although they really don't)- seems like the ideal mix for a manager and something that is worth retaining for a few more years.

A historical footnote- if he makes it through 2008 it will be the first time in 60 years that someone has managed five consecutive complete seasons with the team...the last guy to do it was #4 Joe Cronin...
                    Best posts ever:
                    Originally posted by nymdan
                    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• Latest news tonight on Mike Lowell is that the Red Sox have offered him a three year, $36 million deal.
                      Best posts ever:

Comment

• Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                        Latest news tonight on Mike Lowell is that the Red Sox have offered him a three year, $36 million deal.
                        Not a bad deal, I hope he takes it. I believe that we have until Monday on exclusive negotiating rights with Lowell.

But if he's doesn't except it and with other teams looking for a 3rd baseman, like the Yankees, ughh I don't want to even go there, I just hope Lowell takes the deal! :crossfingers:

Comment

• Originally posted by Dogdaze View Post
                          Not a bad deal, I hope he takes it. I believe that we have until Monday on exclusive negotiating rights with Lowell.

But if he's doesn't except it and with other teams looking for a 3rd baseman, like the Yankees, ughh I don't want to even go there, I just hope Lowell takes the deal! :crossfingers:
                          That's just the starting offer, I think they can go higher than that and still get a good deal on both sides...
                          Best posts ever:

Comment

• Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                            That's just the starting offer, I think they can go higher than that and still get a good deal on both sides...
                            I disagree. With Lowell it seems that the Red Sox would make an offer that is what they think is fair and that'll be that. The Sox should show him the respect of making their best offer and seeing if it works.

Now I could see them loosely hashing out some numbers as far as years, beforehand... but pushing offers back and forth will probably encourage Lowell to look elsewhere, or at least consider another port of call.

I hope he returns, but a fourth year scares me. I'd much rather overpay some for 3 years.

Not sure 12M/yr over 3 will get it done in this class.

Comment

• Originally posted by sharrock View Post
                              I hope he returns, but a fourth year scares me. I'd much rather overpay some for 3 years.

Not sure 12M/yr over 3 will get it done in this class.
                              I too would be worried about going too long on a contract for Mike Lowell. His career Adjusted OPS+ is 110, which is good, but it is not spectacular. I doubt that he will have three or four more years that are nearly as good his 2007 season, *OPS+ of 124. If we factor in his fielding, that certainly adds to his value to the club. Lowell would have been a better choice for the A.L. Gold Glove at third base than Adrian Beltre.

Comment

• I thought the Sox might even offer 2 yrs, but a 3 yr deal is more than enough. $36 m is a solid and fair offer, I would think the ceiling on this might be around $40 m.

Mike, find that pen...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X