Red Sox Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smithkp View Post
    Look, all I am saying is CC deserved the Cy Young. I agree with you that including the playoffs, Beckett had the better year. However, this award is based on SEASON performance. If the Indians didn't make the playoffs, do you guys think CC would be more or less deserving? Brandon Webb won the NL Cy Young last year and the DBacks didn't even make the playoffs. ARod won the MVP in 2003 and was not in the playoffs (I don't think). These are SEASON awards and CC had a fantastic season. Beckett did as well, but CC deserved the award.
    Yes, that might be right. As Tim Jerkijian (or whatever his name is) pointed out on ESPN, Sabathia was overworked during the regular season compared to Beckett, which allowed CC to win the Cy Young with his extra 41 innings of work. At the same time, Beckett got enough rest during the regular season to help the Red Sox win the World Series. Josh beat CC twice in the ALCS en route to the World Series.

Sounds like a pretty good tradeoff to me - Sabathia burns himself out to get the Cy Young, while Josh rests up and gets the World Series.
    Last edited by DickZ; 11-16-2007, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• A little irrelevant, but more smug crap from Damon:

Yankees outfielder Johnny Damon said on Wednesday that he expected to be back with the Yankees next season. "[Manager Joe Girardi] told me I was going to be his leadoff hitter and left fielder," said Damon, who had been hearing trade rumors. "I know teams would want a player like me. A guy who keeps the clubhouse loose. A guy who has been very durable and will be durable next year. I think everyone realized how important I was to the team last year once I got healthy. When I was in the lineup every day, I think our winning percentage was around .700. I think that's a testament to the type of player that I am and the kind of stuff I can bring to the table. I think someone would have to [dazzle] them with an amazing offer."

Comment

• That Damon quote is hilarious!!! Wow!
        BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

• Congrats to David Ortiz, who finished 4th in MVP voting this year (even while some insist he is in his decline, haha). This makes it the 5th consecutive year than Ortiz has been in the Top 5 in MVP voting.
          Originally posted by Domenic
          The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

• Red Sox 2008

C - Varitek 9 mil
            1B - Minimum
            2B - Minimum
            SS - Lugo 9 mil
            3B - Lowell 12.5 mil
            LF - Manny 20 mil
            RF - Drew 14 mil
            CF - Minimum
            DH - Ortiz 12.5 mil

Bench - Coco 4.75
            Bench - Cora 2 mil
            Bench - Catcher minimum

SP - Matsuzaka 8 mil
            SP - Beckett 9.5 mil
            SP - Schilling 8 mil
            SP - Wakefield 4 mil
            SP - Tavarez 3.85 mil
            SP - Buchholz minimum

RP - Okajima 1.25
            RP - Hansen 0.7 mil
            RP - Papelbon minimum
            RP - Delcarmen minimum
            RP - Jon Lester minimum

Equals to 122.25 mil so far.

Explanations..

I figure we'll call someone up to be our backup catcher. Hopefully we dont sign some expensive back up.

Hansen is on there because he is signed to a major league contract, therefore his deal is part of the payroll.

I just threw Lester and Tavarez in there wherever, i'm not necessarily saying they will be SP or RP.

Coco will probably be traded, so subtract 5 mil there. But we'll probably also sign a couple of relievers that will cost that much anyway.

Barring any other big deals going down, our payroll should be about 120-125 million by my estimation, which is pretty much how much it was from '04 to '06 before the jump to over 140 this past season.

Note: 23 players listed here, I believe. 2 more relievers needed. Maybe a 1-yr deal for Timlin?
            Originally posted by Domenic
            The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charger567 View Post
              A little irrelevant, but more smug crap from Damon:

Yankees outfielder Johnny Damon said on Wednesday that he expected to be back with the Yankees next season. "[Manager Joe Girardi] told me I was going to be his leadoff hitter and left fielder," said Damon, who had been hearing trade rumors. "I know teams would want a player like me. A guy who keeps the clubhouse loose. A guy who has been very durable and will be durable next year. I think everyone realized how important I was to the team last year once I got healthy. When I was in the lineup every day, I think our winning percentage was around .700. I think that's a testament to the type of player that I am and the kind of stuff I can bring to the table. I think someone would have to [dazzle] them with an amazing offer."
              It amazes me what a jerk Damon turned into with the NYY's. I still think he is very unhappy with his decision to go there. There is very little fun playing there. Just alot of $$$$$$$$
              Boston Red Sox

Yaz, Rico, Tony C. , Lonborg, Reggie, Freddie, Rice, RemDawg, Eck, Rooster, Dewey, Butch, Boomer, Pudge, El Tiante, Carbo, Rick, Spaceman, Dragon, Soup, Geddie, Billy Buck, Oil Can, Nipp, Bigfoot, Hendu, Hurst, Millar, Walker, Tek, Mueller, Manny, Trot, Gabe, Dougie, Derek, Wake, Bellhorn, Papi, Cabrera, Nomar, Roberts, Schill, Bronson, Youk, Cora, Foulkie, Timlin, Embree, Okie, Lowell, Coco, Pedroia, Josh, Dice, Kielty, Lester, Paps, Julian, MDC, JD, Ellsbury, Rocco ....

Comment

• Even if we re-signed Doug, he made the minimum last year anyways. So even if he's our catcher next year, then it's no big deal on the payroll. I'd rather someone else, but the fact is that we don't have any better options anyways. lol. Kottaras isn't ready, and I'm not sure if he's any good anyways, and Cash is a FA too.

Comment

A little irrelevant, but more smug crap from Damon:

He's the only guy I know who can be durable and injured at the same time. Miracle worker, he is.

TomC
                  Author of The Smoking Lounge
                  sigpic

Comment

• Can someone clear this up for me?

How untouchable are the Yank's untouchables? Fans and the FO are saying they are unwilling to give up their trinity, even for Santana. So what the hell? Are these guys really expected to be the next three Santana's? Are we pretty much screwed?

Comment

Can someone clear this up for me?

How untouchable are the Yank's untouchables? Fans and the FO are saying they are unwilling to give up their trinity, even for Santana. So what the hell? Are these guys really expected to be the next three Santana's? Are we pretty much screwed?

Call me crazy, but I'm not very scared of the Yankees big three rookie pitchers. No one had ever heard of Kennedy before this year, and he was only mediocre at best. Joba has NEVER made a start in the majors, and lets face it you need to be on your top game for 6 or 7 innings as a starter, and only 1 inning as a reliever, and Hughes didn't look all that good either this year. Yankee fans keep making them out to be amazing, but I'd take Beckett, Matsuzaka, (who are both still young) Buchholz, Lester over those guys, plus we have Bowden and Masterson who look great, and Hagadone, Johnson, and a few others that look very promising.

Plus, we have Papelbon closing games for the next however many years, while their closer is at the end of his career, and declining.

Comment

Can someone clear this up for me?

I agree with Jager on this, they look good, but the next Santana's? I think not! Though I think all three could be very good, and possibly they can become aces, but it's too early to know at this point.

But what would scare me is if the Yankees trade one or two of those pitching prospects for Santana who is a legitimate ace.

Comment

• Let's not forget that Santana will earn a ton of money (unless he's a rent a year player). A young low-salary player given in return doesn't have to be nearly as good as Santana to be a more valuable net asset.

When not covered by a million bugs, Joba looks like an amazing pitcher.
                          BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

• Joba looked great for one inning per game, but lets see how he does when he's asked to pitch 6 or 7. I'm not saying Joba won't be a very good pitcher down the road, but I do think that it's absurd that Yankee fans Are making him out to be the next Nolan Ryan without him ever starting a game.

Comment

• I think Joba has a higher ceiling than Hughes does. I have never seen someone throw so hard with perfect command like Joba does.

Comment

I think Joba has a higher ceiling than Hughes does. I have never seen someone throw so hard with perfect command like Joba does.
                                It might be different once he starts this season as a starting pitcher. He'd have to reduce his speed so he can last longer.
                                RIP JOE KENNEDY
                                My Blog
                                My Avatar Gallery

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X