No announcement yet.

Red Sox Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The #1 priority for me is re-signing Curt Schilling. I'll be extremely angry if the Red Sox won't give him a one-year contract.
    BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

Comment

Originally posted by DickZ View Post
      Not if he destroys the team in the process of getting his 150 RBIs. That's what I mean when I ask "isn't there more to it than stats?"

We have a pretty good clubhouse going now, and for those of you whose experience is limited to just the past few years, that is a rarity in Red Sox baseball. There's a good chance A-Rod would destroy all that. His fantastic numbers have never meant anything substantial to any of the teams that he's played for. And by substantial, I mean something more than MVP or leader in homers - I mean the postseason, which is a whole lot more important than leading the league in five individual batting categories.
      I definitely don't want A-Rod. Baseball means more to me than laundry and Strat-o-Matic cards.

I also wish people would think about the long-term effects. In a few years, those great young players like Papelbon are going to eligible for arbitration. It's not going to be easy keeping all these young stars.

Comment

Originally posted by maximum jack View Post
        I can't believe anyone would even consider A-rod after the stunt he pulled during Game 4. This guy only cares about himself and money.
        I know, this REALLY bugs me. The guy is such a jerk...and a loser. And he wants $300 MILLION. Please God, no!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
          As other's have said, I'd say that resigning Lowell is a priority. I'd say two years plus some kind of resting option for a third year is fair.
          Lowell is entitled to a better deal than that, and he'll definitely get it from some team. He'll get at least $36M/3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by MudvilleMike View Post
            Lowell is entitled to a better deal than that, and he'll definitely get it from some team. He'll get at least $36M/3 years.
            If it took 3 yrs/$36 million to keep Lowell, I think I'd have to give it to him, knowing that that in the last year of the deal he might be slipping. With no serious 3b prospects in the system, it might make sense to lock up Lowell.

The talk of signing both Lowell and Arod is absurd. That'd tie up over $40 million a year for two players in their mid-30's, plus the $10 or so a year they'll owe Lugo, who wouldn't have a position anymore. The Red Sox have a lot of money, but I doubt they have THAT much they'd like to tie up in long term contracts to aging players.

I think that maybe going long-term on Lugo was a mistake....with Jed Lowrie knocking on the door, they may very well have their SS of the future next year, or in 2009 for sure. Signing a stop-gap at SS for a year or two might have been the way to go.
            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Lowell has already proven himself so I hope there will be a Red Sox contract at least that generous, and maybe even more. And even if we suspect he might start pooping out in his third year, it would still be worth it.

We've wasted more money than that on people who arrive here and do nothing, so we can afford it for someone who comes through. I guess I'm talking like the money is mine to hand out, but you know what I mean.
              Last edited by DickZ; 10-31-2007, 12:52 PM.

Comment

The #1 priority for me is re-signing Curt Schilling. I'll be extremely angry if the Red Sox won't give him a one-year contract.
                I usually agree with everything you say, and I'll go along with the one-year contract here, too. But not at $13M for a guy who can only win nine games during the regular season. Wakefield got $4M for his 17 wins, so he seems like a bigger bargain.

Sure, Schilling came through great in the postseason, but for next year's postseason I'm estimating that he will be one year older than he was for this one. He's not looking like someone who can defy the ravages of time forever. And we can use some of that money for Lowell, who has a longer Red Sox life expectancy.
                Last edited by DickZ; 10-31-2007, 01:27 PM.

Comment

He will get a one year offer from the Bosox, as a courtesy at the very least, but it probably won't be for the money he wants. There are plenty of teams who are more starved for starters who will be willing to throw a big one year deal at him in hopes of getting a big year from him, but I don't see the Bosox doing it. If they can get him for short money, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have him.
                  I sure hope he comes back, because of his postseason guts and what he brings to the club all around (I don't see him as a clubhouse cancer at all!), but I'm not expecting it.
                  "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by DickZ View Post
                    I usually agree with everything you say, and I'll go along with the one-year contract here, too. But not at $13M for a guy who can only win nine games during the regular season. Wakefield got $4M for his 17 wins, so he seems like a bigger bargain.
                    Schilling got unlucky to only win 9 games. He's still actually a very good pitcher. His ERA+ this year was 122, and that's not even counting the playoffs! Wakefield's, in contrast, was a dead average 100. Dice-K's was 108. Schilling is still a #2 or #1 pitcher, he just needs a bit more rest. 1yr $13M is all he wants and even on strict baseball terms it's a pretty good deal. Keeping a legend HOFer who played a gigantic role in bringing Boston its only World Championships since Babe Ruth should be worth a little as well. I'll hate to see him go, but it's looking like that

Comment

My two cents...

- Re-up Lowell for 2 or 3 years (if the price is right)
                      - Re-up Schill & Timlin for a year or so (Schilling if the price is right)
                      - Pick up Wake & Tavarez's options
                      - Shop Crisp and Lugo... and Drew for that matter (if anyone'll take him and Lugo h)
                      - I don't much care whether or not they pick up A-Rod, as long as they got him (relatively) cheap (Note: I'm not a huge fan of the thought of having him in the clubhouse though h)
                      - In general, steer clear from Bora$ clients
                      Last edited by Senor Octobre; 10-31-2007, 03:33 PM.
                      "Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson, Esquire (March 1, 1978)

Comment

What's the big rush to pick up Tavarez's option? Why? He has an ERA over 5, a terrible WHIP, had 77 Ks along with 51 BBs, 7 HBP, and 4 WP. Also allowed 14 HR.

His ERA this year was worse than it has been since 2002.

I think he was so absolutely dreadful last year that when he had a couple good starts this year, everyone thought he was doing better than he really was. If we re-sign Timlin, we don't really need him in the bullpen. If we re-sign Wake or Schill, we don't really need him in the rotation.

And if Manny stays with his agent, he won't really need Tavarez either. 3.85 Million for a guy with an ERA over 5? I'll pass. We can get a much better arm in the pen for that kind of money.
                        Originally posted by Domenic
                        The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

No way the Red Sox will keep Tavarez. He is terrible. He is surely not better than Joel Pinheiro, and he was a big big mistake. But nobody is perfect, right Theo?

We must absolutely resign Curt Schilling. He has pitched the Red Sox into 2 WS-Titles. So whats the deal with 10 or 13 millions? Sign him, he is irreplaceable.

1. Beckett
                          2. Schilling
                          3. Matsuzaka
                          4. Lester
                          5. Buchholz

and Wakefield in the pen again or as a spot starter.

Lowell should be a priority. But I don't see the Red Sox offering him a 4-year-contract. And there will be teams doing that. He'll be 34 next season. 2 years plus an option would be ideal. It will probably take 3 years. So till he is 36. 3 years 33-36 millions should do it if he really likes Boston as much as he said.

Gagne is gone and the Red Sox will get a pick for him right?

I'm sure Coco Crisp will get traded. He is a very good player with a very tradeable contract. Thats a combination GM's like....
                          I know you're watching, Si. Bu.

Comment

all the noises coming from the front office indicate that re-signing powell is a priority. schilling is gone i think. past experience indicates that this organization is very willing to not go overboard on salaries. i'm hoping they'll pass on a-rod.

Comment

Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
                              No way the Red Sox will keep Tavarez. He is terrible. He is surely not better than Joel Pinheiro, and he was a big big mistake. But nobody is perfect, right Theo?

We must absolutely resign Curt Schilling. He has pitched the Red Sox into 2 WS-Titles. So whats the deal with 10 or 13 millions? Sign him, he is irreplaceable.

1. Beckett
                              2. Schilling
                              3. Matsuzaka
                              4. Lester
                              5. Buchholz

and Wakefield in the pen again or as a spot starter.

Lowell should be a priority. But I don't see the Red Sox offering him a 4-year-contract. And there will be teams doing that. He'll be 34 next season. 2 years plus an option would be ideal. It will probably take 3 years. So till he is 36. 3 years 33-36 millions should do it if he really likes Boston as much as he said.

Gagne is gone and the Red Sox will get a pick for him right?

I'm sure Coco Crisp will get traded. He is a very good player with a very tradeable contract. Thats a combination GM's like....
                              I pretty much agree with everything you said. Here's my .02 cents.

I think Schilling still has some gas in the tank. Granted he's not the pitcher he was in 2004, but I think he can still pitch well. Now that being said. I'm not sure he's worth 13 million for one year.

Wakefield if he's healthy I think might work in the pen, the only concern I have is who catches when he comes in? It seems we would either need Mirabelli or Cash to catch his knuckleball.

I'd just assume let Mirabelli walk and keep Cash. If we have to have one of these two to catch for Wakefield. But if Wakefield is not healthy or they don't resign him, I'd let both Mirabelli and Cash walk.

Lowell should be a priority to resign, 2 years plus an option seems fair, but if it take 3 or 4 years to sign him, I think it might be worth it.

Tavarez, I really can't see resigning him.

As for Gagne, see ya! Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Timlin can still pitch fairly well, I'd offer a one year contract to keep him.

Coco, I think the best option, given Ellsbury playing so well, is to trade Coco.

I'd resign Kielty as the 4th outfielder.

Question, does anyone know if Kielty can play first base? If not then we may need someone as a backup at 1st.

Hinske, let him walk.

Donnelly, I don't see a pressing need for his services, he really didn't impress me much, and we did fine without him. See ya.

Snyder, I'm on the fence with him, while not a bad pitcher, he didn't impress me much either.

Now did I miss anyone?

Oh yeah, I really don't want the Sox to sign A-Rod. While we all know he's a great talent, I don't see a need for him, and at 30 million a year. I'll pass!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogdaze View Post
                                I'd resign Kielty as the 4th outfielder.

Question, does anyone know if Kielty can play first base? If not then we may need someone as a backup at 1st.
                                He played eight games games at first base so he has some experience...bringing him back should fill two needs without Hinske...

I am with the choir here and saying that they should pick up the option for Wakefield next year. If/when he retires I doubt he goes anywhere else, he seems like he is destined to stay with the team in some capacity when he finally hangs up the spikes...

Serious question that I don't think was answered- with Bucholz showing great stuff and Lester ready to take over pitching, do the Red Sox really need Schilling back? It seems like if they resign both him and Wakefield they will be holding one of both of them back. Schilling is injury prone at this point in his career, bringing him back only to have him get hurt and lose a chunk of the season again counters the experience and numbers that he brings to the team...and also means that those guys will pitch anyway so really what's the point of bringing him back again?
                                Best posts ever:
                                Originally posted by nymdan
                                Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                                Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                                I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X