Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Sox Offseason

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by cricketfan_turned_baseballfan View Post
    all the noises coming from the front office indicate that re-signing powell is a priority. ...
    Well, we could use some of Boog's BBQ at Fenway, I must say!!!


    (sorry, I knew you meant Lowell and am not nitpicking...just couldn't resist)
    "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by SwissRedSoxFan View Post
      ...
      1. Beckett
      2. Schilling
      3. Matsuzaka
      4. Lester
      5. Buchholz

      and Wakefield in the pen again or as a spot starter.

      ....
      If this rotation does come to pass, we will definitely need a lot of spot starting...they're not going to let Lester and Buchholz throw a ton of innings no matter what, and Schilling and Dice K will probably need some extra time off (Matsuzaka better be working on that stamina at home this winter!!!). It was only one stretch, but Josh's blister/skin problem did crop up again last season. Wakefield would come in quite handy, but would still need some help in that role.
      "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by efin98 View Post
        Serious question that I don't think was answered- with Bucholz showing great stuff and Lester ready to take over pitching, do the Red Sox really need Schilling back? It seems like if they resign both him and Wakefield they will be holding one of both of them back. Schilling is injury prone at this point in his career, bringing him back only to have him get hurt and lose a chunk of the season again counters the experience and numbers that he brings to the team...and also means that those guys will pitch anyway so really what's the point of bringing him back again?
        I understand your point, but there's just no telling who might get injured, granted Schillings age makes him more of a risk for injury, same with Wakefield. But after 2006 when Theo thought he had plenty of pitching and traded Arroyo, then had to scramble to find pitching when injuries happened, I think we can never have too much pitching. I think Schilling is worth keeping for one more year.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by hellborn View Post
          If this rotation does come to pass, we will definitely need a lot of spot starting...they're not going to let Lester and Buchholz throw a ton of innings no matter what, and Schilling and Dice K will probably need some extra time off (Matsuzaka better be working on that stamina at home this winter!!!). It was only one stretch, but Josh's blister/skin problem did crop up again last season. Wakefield would come in quite handy, but would still need some help in that role.
          You bring up some good points. Maybe we should go with a six man rotation?

          Comment


          • #35
            As as I said above, I think they need to bring back either Schilling or Wakefield, with Wakefield being probably the better bet if he's healthy because of his ability to eat innings and pitch out of the pen and because he's a lot less expensive.

            Whoever our "old guy" is, there's a chance he'll only be a placeholder until the All-Star break anyway. There are several promising young pitchers (Masterson and Bowden bering the big names) left in the Red Sox minor league system who pitched in AA last year. A half year in AA/AAA this year might be enough for at least one of them to make the jump to the majors in the second half and contribute.
            Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

            Comment


            • #36
              Looking at the list of Red Sox who have filed for Free Agency so far, it looks like a few will certainly be Type A Free Agents.

              Eric Gagne will be one, and most certainly will sign elsewhere. I imagine Boston will offer him arbitration and get a suplimental pick in return for him (after the first round, I believe). Getting a pick of this nature certainly helps soften the fact that Gagne didn't perform well in Boston at all. The Red Sox gave up David Murphy (their #3 or #4 OF prospect, and the oldest of the bunch) and Kason Gabbard (a solid enough pitcher who's value will probably never be higher). Getting a suplimental first round pick for those two is probably a nice return on the initial investment, even with Gagne tanking.

              If Lowell walks, which I hope he doesn't, offering him arbitration is another no-brainer, as he'll be a Type-A FA as well. That'd be another suplimental pick, although I'm sure most Red Sox fans would rather have Lowell back.

              The big question will be on Schilling. Will he be a Type-A free agent? Or a Type-B? If he's a Type-A, do you risk offering him arbitration to get a pick, or do you just walk away so you don't get stuck with a fairly large one year contract that they don't want?
              Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

              Comment


              • #37
                i just read (Globe) that Schill and Lowell will be Type A and Gagne will be a Type B

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                  i just read (Globe) that Schill and Lowell will be Type A and Gagne will be a Type B
                  Just saw that too. The good news is that Boston should still get a sandwich round pick for Gagne, but if Lowell or Schilling leave, they'd actually get the team that signs them's 1st round pick, unless it's in the top 15. Not sure what the Sox get if one of them signs with a team with a top 15 pick....is it nothing, or a sandwich pick?
                  Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Dogdaze View Post
                    I understand your point, but there's just no telling who might get injured, granted Schillings age makes him more of a risk for injury, same with Wakefield. But after 2006 when Theo thought he had plenty of pitching and traded Arroyo, then had to scramble to find pitching when injuries happened, I think we can never have too much pitching. I think Schilling is worth keeping for one more year.
                    The Arroyo and the whole 2006 pitching situation is noteable but I think they need to wait a bit to see who else gets put on the market before jumping at signing him. If they can find someone who is much cheaper than Schilling and will get him at least a dozen wins then they should go for him and take the draft pick(s) that Schilling will bring in compensation.

                    If they can't find someone that can get them that many wins then they should try to sign Schilling. I am not holding my breath, I think he knew all along that he was out of here the minute they didn't cave in to his demands earlier in the year.
                    Best posts ever:
                    Originally posted by nymdan
                    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      think there is any interest in trying to get Santana??? What would it take?

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                        think there is any interest in trying to get Santana??? What would it take?
                        A friend of a friend of a friend heard a rumor about Buchholz for Santana, now I HIGHLY doubt this will happen, but would anyone here like that trade?

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
                          A friend of a friend of a friend heard a rumor about Buchholz for Santana, now I HIGHLY doubt this will happen, but would anyone here like that trade?
                          Straight up, I think I would. With anyone else I don't think I like it...
                          Best posts ever:
                          Originally posted by nymdan
                          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            It'd be great trade if we needed him, but we don't. If we really needed an ace starter, i'd pull the trigger instantly.
                            Originally posted by Domenic
                            The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Dogdaze View Post
                              ........

                              I'd just assume let Mirabelli walk and keep Cash. If we have to have one of these two to catch for Wakefield. But if Wakefield is not healthy or they don't resign him, I'd let both Mirabelli and Cash walk.

                              ...........
                              We need a backup catcher now even more than before, because Varitek is getting along in years. He will need more days off next season than he had this season. So if you want neither of these, you have to want someone else.
                              Last edited by DickZ; 11-02-2007, 06:52 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by DickZ View Post
                                We need a backup catcher now even more than before, because Varitek is getting along in years. He will need more days off next season than he had this season. So if you want neither of these, you have to want someone else.
                                If the Red Sox decide to part ways with Wakefield, and thus Cash and Mirabelli, they do have George Kottaras in AAA who could come up and be their backup catcher, or could probably find someone on the FA market.
                                Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X