Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Sox Offseason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by efin98 View Post
    If they can find someone who is much cheaper than Schilling and will get him at least a dozen wins then they should go for him and take the draft pick(s) that Schilling will bring in compensation.
    I'm guessing that if the Red Sox offer Schilling arbitration, he'll take it. While he might not get his 13 million he'll probably get something good and be with the Sox for one more year, and that is all he wants anyway. So if we want to keep him, not a bad thing, but if just want the picks, probably not going to work.
    "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

    You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
    -Don Fehr

    Comment


    • #47
      holy crap...i change my mind. I dont care how talented he is, i do not want him on the Red sox...what a tool.

      Sources: Yankees more than $100M short of entertaining A-Rod
      By Buster Olney
      ESPN The Magazine

      Updated: November 2, 2007, 1:40 PM ET

      Before Alex Rodriguez opted out of his contract with the Yankees earlier this week, the team was told that it would not be able to meet with the third baseman unless it presented an offer of at least $350 million, sources say.


      The Yankees had hoped to meet with Rodriguez this week, and would have presented him with an extension offer close to five years and $150 million, to begin at the conclusion of his 2008-2010 contract, through which he would have earned $81 million. Through the Yankees' proposal, then, Rodriguez would have made about $230 million over eight years, and during the last five years of the contract, sources say, he would have earned the highest annual salary in Major League Baseball history.

      But team executives were told, sources say, that in order to arrange a meeting with Rodriguez, they would have to be prepared to make an extension offer that would take the third baseman's deal up to a total value of $350 million. That means that the offer the Yankees intended to propose would have been more than $100 million short.

      Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, sent the documentation of Rodriguez's intention to opt out of the contract to Yankees general manager Brian Cashman during Game 4 of the World Series, Cashman has said, and the GM did not speak with Boras until after news of the decision was published on SI.com.

      The timing of how this played out, and the fact that Rodriguez did not meet with the Yankees to hear their offer before making his decision, has led some baseball officials to surmise that a deal with another team may already be in the works. In an interview with ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick on Thursday, Boras said, "We have had no economic discussions regarding Alex Rodriguez with any major-league team."



      The Mets, Dodgers, Angels, Giants and Marlins are among the teams which have not publicly ruled out pursuing Rodriguez. Sources say it is highly unlikely that the Dodgers will seriously entertain the possibility.

      Buster Olney is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
        holy crap...i change my mind. I dont care how talented he is, i do not want him on the Red sox...what a tool. ...
        Wouldn't it be nice if nobody would take A-Rod? I realize that would be too good to be true, but still, wouldn't it be nice? Anyway, he just lowered the price tag by a lot.

        And as some of us have said all along, there's more to baseball than RBIs and homeruns.
        Last edited by DickZ; 11-02-2007, 11:59 AM.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
          holy crap...i change my mind. I dont care how talented he is, i do not want him on the Red sox...what a tool.
          .
          I'm glad you've seen the light, BB.
          Originally posted by Domenic
          The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Westlake View Post
            I'm glad you've seen the light, BB.
            i know...i dont know what i was thinking.:dismay:

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by DickZ View Post
              Wouldn't it be nice if nobody would take A-Rod? I realize that would be too good to be true, but still, wouldn't it be nice? Anyway, he just lowered the price tag by a lot.

              And as some of us have said all along, there's more to baseball than RBIs and homeruns.
              If no one took him, he'd probably just buy the Marlins and become Player/manager/owner.

              Comment


              • #52
                Red Sox today picked up options on both Wakefield and Tavares.
                Kevin Cash filed after turning down a AAA assignment.
                I like Wake coming back, and even tho his record wasn't the greatest, I think you need a guy like Tavares in the 'pen cause he can do a little of everything.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Yuck. Tavarez?

                  Im guessing Schill isn't coming back.
                  Originally posted by Domenic
                  The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    DickZ Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Dogdaze
                    ........

                    I'd just assume let Mirabelli walk and keep Cash. If we have to have one of these two to catch for Wakefield. But if Wakefield is not healthy or they don't resign him, I'd let both Mirabelli and Cash walk.

                    ...........

                    We need a backup catcher now even more than before, because Varitek is getting along in years. He will need more days off next season than he had this season. So if you want neither of these, you have to want someone else.
                    Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                    If the Red Sox decide to part ways with Wakefield, and thus Cash and Mirabelli, they do have George Kottaras in AAA who could come up and be their backup catcher, or could probably find someone on the FA market.
                    Mike D answered for me. Thanks Mike.

                    Mirabelli and Cash, both are in their 30's and neither hit's very well, so I'd just assume bring Kottaras up, let him get some experience. And if he's not ready for prime time, then I'd make an offer to FA catcher Jason Kendall.

                    Though, I hear Wakefields option was picked up, so more then likely Mirabelli will be resigned as well.
                    Last edited by Dogdaze; 11-02-2007, 05:53 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                      i know...i dont know what i was thinking.:dismay:
                      You were looking on the bright side, but got blinded by the light
                      Best posts ever:
                      Originally posted by nymdan
                      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Wake Field View Post
                        Red Sox today picked up options on both Wakefield and Tavares.
                        Kevin Cash filed after turning down a AAA assignment.
                        I like Wake coming back, and even tho his record wasn't the greatest, I think you need a guy like Tavares in the 'pen cause he can do a little of everything.
                        Despite the crap given to him I think they made a wise move with Tavarez. They need a long reliever/spot starter, he can give that to them. As a reliever he did well, his "worst" games were in mop-up duty for Dice-K and Wakefield. His starts were average but considering they didn't have anyone else he did well.

                        Wakefield is another no-brainer. He will recover by the start of the season, and despite his age he's still got plenty of game left in him. Now they just need to find a catcher who can hit his weight...
                        Best posts ever:
                        Originally posted by nymdan
                        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Dogdaze View Post
                          Mike D answered for me. Thanks Mike.

                          Mirabelli and Cash, both are in their 30's and neither hit's very well, so I'd just assume bring Kottaras up, let him get some experience. And if he's not ready for prime time, then I'd make an offer to FA catcher Jason Kendall.
                          Has Kendall ever caught a knuckleball? I don't think they should bring him in if he doesn't have the experience...and since it would probably cost more than re-signing Mirabelli.

                          Kottaras has some experience catching the knuckleball(thank goodness for Charlie Zink!) but his bat might not be up to parr with the major league pitching as he was hitting about .250 down in Pawtucket last year...
                          Best posts ever:
                          Originally posted by nymdan
                          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                            Has Kendall ever caught a knuckleball? I don't think they should bring him in if he doesn't have the experience...and since it would probably cost more than re-signing Mirabelli.

                            Kottaras has some experience catching the knuckleball(thank goodness for Charlie Zink!) but his bat might not be up to parr with the major league pitching as he was hitting about .250 down in Pawtucket last year...
                            I'm not sure if Kendall has ever caught a knuckleball, but if Wakefield stays as I see his option was picked up, then we don't have much of a choice, we need either Mirabelli or Cash. Though Kottaras could still be an option, if he's ready.

                            If not, then my choice would be to sign Cash since he's younger then Mirabelli, I think Cash will be 31 next year, where Mirabelli I believe will be 38. And I'm not 100% sure, since he only played a few games for us, but I think Cash may be a slightly better hitter then Mirabelli as well.

                            I just hate seeing Mirabelli come to bat, it seems like it's almost an automatic out. But on the bright side with Mirabelli, the man can catch with the best of them and is pretty good at nailing base stealers.
                            Last edited by Dogdaze; 11-02-2007, 06:19 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Dogdaze View Post
                              I'm not sure if Kendall has ever caught a knuckleball, but if Wakefield stays as I see his option was pickup up, then we don't have much of a choice, we need either Mirabelli or Cash. My choice would be Cash since he's younger, I think he'll be 31 where Mirabelli I believe will be 38 next year. And I'm not 100% sure, since he only played a few games for us, but I think Cash may be a slightly better hitter then Mirabelli as well.

                              I just hate seeing Mirabelli come to bat, it's almost an automatic out. But on the bright side with Mirabelli, the man can catch with the best of them and is pretty good at nailing base stealers.
                              .111 batting average for Cash this past year...Mirabelli was .202. I think they should just bring up Kottaras and have Mirabelli on standby just in case.
                              Best posts ever:
                              Originally posted by nymdan
                              Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                              Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                              I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                                .111 batting average for Cash this past year...Mirabelli was .202. I think they should just bring up Kottaras and have Mirabelli on standby just in case.
                                Yeah I didn't check the stats, I was going by memory, OOPS!

                                So I agree Kottaras is the best option, and I can see keeping Mirabelli if Kottaras isn't ready.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X