Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Sox Offseason

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by efin98 View Post
    So you want them to bank on Bucholz? A guy who only made three starts with the Red Sox over a guy who has been a proven #2 or #3 pitcher and an all star? Seriously?
    Kazmir is more than a #2 or #3 starter. Granted, the Red Sox have Beckett, so Kazmir probably wouldn't be the #1 pitcher in Boston. However, he finished 10th in the American League in ERA+ at 130.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Matt1901 View Post
      I'd rather have Schilling at $13 million on my staff than Wakefield for $4 million if I'm shooting for a second straight World Series Championship.
      It sounds as if we may see both in the Red Sox rotation next year: http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...ing_sox_close/

      2007 World Series Champions
      The Boston Red Sox

      Comment


      • The more I think about it, the more I like Schilling coming back on an incentive-laden one year deal. That gives the Sox 6 very solid starters (Beckett, Dice-K, Schilling, Wakefield, Lester, and Buchholz), plus Tavarez, who can also start. That's great depth.

        I imagine that, assuming everyone is healthy going into the season, we see a rotation of Beckett, Dice-K, Schilling, Wakefield, and Lester, with Tavarez either traded, or working as a long man/spot starter.

        That pushes Buchholz to AAA, but he certainly wouldn't be hurt by more time at AAA gaining experience and pitching every 5 days. I imagine that if anyone gets hurt, he'll be the guy to come up, and even if the pitching staff stays healthy, they'll start working him into the major league scene as the year goes on (like they did with Ellsbury this year).

        Then, next year, he can probably be better counted on to take a spot in the rotation full time, once Schilling retires.

        Plus, it'll be nice to see Schilling finish up in Boston, from a pure "fan" standpoint. Schilling has to know this only further cements his reputation and status among Red Sox Nation. He'll never buy his own drink in this town again!
        Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
          The more I think about it, the more I like Schilling coming back on an incentive-laden one year deal....
          Yes - limiting his pay to a lower figure if he doesn't come through as hoped, but jacking it up with each additional accomplishment if he does well, is the ideal situation.

          Comment


          • WEEI is reporting that the Schilling deal is reportedly for $8 m base, plus $2 m incentives. If that's it, that $3 m under what Curt was asking. Schill could certainly go elsewhere and probably get more years and more money, but it probably works out better for both parties involved.

            Sounds like a great deal.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Dirt Dog View Post
              WEEI is reporting that the Schilling deal is reportedly for $8 m base, plus $2 m incentives. If that's it, that $3 m under what Curt was asking. Schill could certainly go elsewhere and probably get more years and more money, but it probably works out better for both parties involved.

              Sounds like a great deal.
              Schilling has said "one year deal" since the beginning, but he surely could have gotten more dollars somewhere else.

              Nice to see he's forgoing a little extra dough for intangibles...a clubhouse and community he knows, doesn't have to move his family for a year, a team with a very good chance of reaching the playoffs next year, a chance to mentor young pitchers, etc.

              And a good deal for the Red Sox. $8 million is still a lot of money, but it's a lot less than $13 million, which I'm sure makes it easier for the front office and ownership to swallow.
              Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

              Comment


              • I am really happy to hear this Schilling news.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                  So you want them to bank on Bucholz? A guy who only made three starts with the Red Sox over a guy who has been a proven #2 or #3 pitcher and an all star? Seriously?
                  Who is "banking on Buchholz"? I never said that. Do I want them to give him a shot before trading him... uh, yes. Plus, you're not going to get Kazmir for just Buchholz and Moss... why does everyone think every team wants Moss? A 4th outfielder at best... pass....
                  Last edited by Westlake; 11-06-2007, 10:32 AM.
                  Originally posted by Domenic
                  The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Dirt Dog View Post
                    WEEI is reporting that the Schilling deal is reportedly for $8 m base, plus $2 m incentives. If that's it, that $3 m under what Curt was asking. Schill could certainly go elsewhere and probably get more years and more money, but it probably works out better for both parties involved.

                    Sounds like a great deal.
                    Here's a link to the Sports.Yahoo.com article covering the story.

                    2007 World Series Champions
                    The Boston Red Sox

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                      why does everyone think every team wants Moss? A 4th outfielder at best... pass....
                      I don't know about this....he's ranked as Boston's #8 prospect by "Soxprospects.com", behind only Ellsbury among OF.

                      In his first year in AAA last year, he hit .282/.363/.471 with 16 HR in 493 AB. He struck out too much, and had a really nasty slump in the 2nd half, but those are nice numbers for a 24 year old in their first taste of AAA.

                      I watched him all year in Pawtucket, and I think he's a good player. Is he a replacement for Manny? Probably not. But could he put up Youkillis like years while playing good defense and being a decent baserunner? I think so.
                      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                        I don't know about this....he's ranked as Boston's #8 prospect by "Soxprospects.com", behind only Ellsbury among OF.

                        In his first year in AAA last year, he hit .282/.363/.471 with 16 HR in 493 AB. He struck out too much, and had a really nasty slump in the 2nd half, but those are nice numbers for a 24 year old in their first taste of AAA.

                        I watched him all year in Pawtucket, and I think he's a good player. Is he a replacement for Manny? Probably not. But could he put up Youkillis like years while playing good defense and being a decent baserunner? I think so.
                        I may have been a little too harsh on him. I should say an average outfielder at best. The only reason he's ranked so high among outfielders in our system is because we don't have many good OF prospects. The D-Rays already have a good amount of young outfielders, and I don't see them wanting another one.

                        Now that I think about it, he might be trying out for the 4th outfielder job in spring training after Coco is traded.

                        My point in this whole Kazmir thing is this.... We have starting pitching, we don't need to trade for pitching, we don't need to trade the best starter to come out of our system in a long time for another young starter. Buchholz for Kazmir straight up? Sure, that's a good deal, but it won't happen. I'm guessing we would need to throw Lester in there too, something i'm not fond of. Its like trading for Santana... would it be nice, sure... but do we need to do it, nope.
                        Originally posted by Domenic
                        The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                          My point in this whole Kazmir thing is this.... We have starting pitching, we don't need to trade for pitching, we don't need to trade the best starter to come out of our system in a long time for another young starter. Buchholz for Kazmir straight up? Sure, that's a good deal, but it won't happen. I'm guessing we would need to throw Lester in there too, something i'm not fond of. Its like trading for Santana... would it be nice, sure... but do we need to do it, nope.
                          I agree that we don't need to go chasing Kasmir, and paying top dollar for pitching in a tight market when we have a solid rotation now. I can also see where the DRays might not be all that interested in Moss, since they already have an OF glut.

                          As I said earlier, I also don't see Tampa trading Kasmir ot a division rival.
                          Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Matt1901 View Post
                            Kazmir is more than a #2 or #3 starter. Granted, the Red Sox have Beckett, so Kazmir probably wouldn't be the #1 pitcher in Boston. However, he finished 10th in the American League in ERA+ at 130.
                            Being #2 or #3 on a winning team where he isn't the only star is better than being the #1 and only real pitcher on a team that is going to lost 90 games a year...if they could snag him for Bucholz and a couple of minor leaguers they have to go for him.
                            Best posts ever:
                            Originally posted by nymdan
                            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
                              I would think that if the D-Rays were going to trade Kasmir, they'd do their best to NOT trade him within the division (ie, Boston or NY).

                              From both a competitive standpoint (why make your competition better) and a marketing/fan standpoint (fans will surely be mad if they trade their best pitcher, no need to have him beating them for years to come) it would certainly hurt them.
                              One word why they would go for it- improvement. They are guaranteed to be a last place team regardless of whether they make a trade or not, sending him to a team that is already one of their top draws and will beat them up regardless in exchange for a few guys who can actually help them down the road is in their best interest.
                              Best posts ever:
                              Originally posted by nymdan
                              Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                              Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                              I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                                Who is "banking on Buchholz"? I never said that. Do I want them to give him a shot before trading him... uh, yes. Plus, you're not going to get Kazmir for just Buchholz and Moss... why does everyone think every team wants Moss? A 4th outfielder at best... pass....
                                Bucholz won't be able to show his stuff even if they don't get Kazmir as he will be their sixth pitcher at most and will be down in Pawtucket(barring injury to one of the big five). IF and that's a big IF they can get Kazmir for Bucholz and Moss another pitcher(probably a reliever) and maybe an infielder and that should be enough for a deal. If they can pull it off they have to make it.

                                Moss may be a fifth outfielder with Boston but on any other team he would either be a starter or fighting hard for a starter's job.
                                Best posts ever:
                                Originally posted by nymdan
                                Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                                Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                                I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X