Red Sox Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by efin98 View Post
    One word why they would go for it- improvement. They are guaranteed to be a last place team regardless of whether they make a trade or not, sending him to a team that is already one of their top draws and will beat them up regardless in exchange for a few guys who can actually help them down the road is in their best interest.
    Right, but this assumes that the Red Sox are either the only team bidding, or offer by far the best package of players in return.

Wouldn't it make MORE sense to trade him to say, the Mets, Dodgers, or Angels for a similar package of young players, and not have him in your division beating up on you quite so often?
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
      I agree that we don't need to go chasing Kasmir, and paying top dollar for pitching in a tight market when we have a solid rotation now. I can also see where the DRays might not be all that interested in Moss, since they already have an OF glut.
      2006. That is the reason why they would try to get someone like Kazmir to shore up the rotation next year. They have a solid rotation now, but could always take in a strong pitcher like Kazmir as insurance or as a replacement for one of the youngsters.

Regarding the glut in Tampa Bay, they could trade out one of their more experienced outfielders in exchange for one or two players at another position to shore up another spot that they may have trouble at...
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Right, but this assumes that the Red Sox are either the only team bidding, or offer by far the best package of players in return.

Wouldn't it make MORE sense to trade him to say, the Mets, Dodgers, or Angels for a similar package of young players, and not have him in your division beating up on you quite so often?
        I don't believe that Boston being in the same division really matters to Tampa Bay, if they can get a better deal with Boston as they can get with an outside team I think that Tampa takes it...
        Best posts ever:

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt1901 View Post
          I am really happy to hear this Schilling news.
          I'll second that. This is good news!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dogdaze View Post
            I'll second that. This is good news!
            It might get better...Theo is supposedly also in talks with Mike Lowell so the two biggest holes could be filled just days apart!
            Best posts ever:

Comment

2006. That is the reason why they would try to get someone like Kazmir to shore up the rotation next year. They have a solid rotation now, but could always take in a strong pitcher like Kazmir as insurance or as a replacement for one of the youngsters.
              They already have six starters, plus Tavarez. At this point, the only reason to get Kasmir is as an upgrade, not as insurance. And if they can get him without giving up an insane amount, it's something they should consider. But do they need him? Not really.

Regarding the glut in Tampa Bay, they could trade out one of their more experienced outfielders in exchange for one or two players at another position to shore up another spot that they may have trouble at...
              They certainly could, but they already have a glut, I can't see them adding more to it, even if they do decide to move someone. If Baldelli is healthy (finally) next year, I could see them moving him at the deadline. Crawford will get them a bigger return, but he's also a much better player and a potential cornerstone for that franchise.

Comment

• We don't need Kazmir at all.. Buchholz may be a question mark, but unless he has a Jeff Weaver season, we are probably going to be fine. We are going to make the playoffs, with or without Kazmir. They have the same amount of post season experience, the only difference is we are trading away an important chunk of our farm.

Comment

It might get better...Theo is supposedly also in talks with Mike Lowell so the two biggest holes could be filled just days apart!
                  Man, if they re-sign Lowell, then I can relax for the rest of the winter.
                  --Annie
                  Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                  Remember Yellowdog
                  ABNY

Comment

• Regarding Schill's contract...talk about a "fat contract" now....I see that Curt (or maybe his wife Shonda) brought up the idea of a weight clause and he'll have 6 randon weigh-ins. I wish I could get paid for maintaining/losing weight.

Now Theo, let's get Lowell signed. The Sox are the only team that can negotiate with him exclusively until Monday. :crossfingers:

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirt Dog View Post
                      Now Theo, let's get Lowell signed. The Sox are the only team that can negotiate with him exclusively until Monday. :crossfingers:
                      Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I take the fact that (to my knowledge) Lowell has NOT filed for Free Agency yet to be a good thing.

Comment

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I take the fact that (to my knowledge) Lowell has NOT filed for Free Agency yet to be a good thing.
                        Whoops, Lowell did file yesterday, as did Timlin. Probably just procedural. Lowell may test the waters, but hopefully they can get him back in Boston.

Comment

Being #2 or #3 on a winning team where he isn't the only star is better than being the #1 and only real pitcher on a team that is going to lost 90 games a year...if they could snag him for Bucholz and a couple of minor leaguers they have to go for him.
                          All that I was trying to say is that Kazmir pitched like an ace in 2007. Barring injury, he should be a perennial Cy Young candidate. I do think Clay Bucholz is going to be an excellent pitcher as well. Kazmir has already proven himself in the American League over a large sample size.

Kazmir is only going to be 24 in January, and he has already proven himself a very good Major League pitcher in 570 2/3 Innings while putting up an Adjusted ERA+ of 123.

Interestingly, Clay Bucholz has a Minor League career ERA of 2.46 in 285 2/3 IP, and Kazmir has a Minor League career ERA of 2.41 in 228 IP. Bucholz is also only eight months younger.

Comment

• Anyone else hoping Lugo is traded and Lowrie is given a shot? That's my #2 move to be made after re-signing Mikey.
                            Originally posted by Domenic
                            The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                              Anyone else hoping Lugo is traded and Lowrie is given a shot? That's my #2 move to be made after re-signing Mikey.
                              I wouldn't mind, that's for sure. Alternately, as a plan B if they can't keep Lowell, they could bring up Lowrie and either play him or Lugo at 3b.

I think if a team approaches them about Lugo this year, they'll listen, and maybe after Lowrie has a full year in AAA in 2008, the Sox might make an effort to move Lugo to make room for Lowrie for the 2009 season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westlake View Post
                                Anyone else hoping Lugo is traded and Lowrie is given a shot? That's my #2 move to be made after re-signing Mikey.
                                Why would ANYONE trade for Lugo? His contract was a huge bust. We'd have to pay so much of it to get rid of him.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X