• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hellborn
    replied
    Originally posted by sharrock View Post
    Oh, and another thing....

Its interesting to me that the Sox have not signed Mirabelli and appear to be looking for a backup catcher who can carry more of the load. That makes me wonder about the catching plan for 2008 but also afterwards because Tek's contract ends after this upcoming season.

Perhaps the plan is to look toward having two equal catchers in the future, with Tek at both a lower salary and less playing time to keep his bat fresh. That way you could still take advantage of his pitching coach like mind.

Just a position I'm watching.
    There must be some pitching coaches who insist that their charges throw fastballs at all times...

Leave a comment:

• Westlake
    replied
    I've heard the Sox are also going to make a serious run at Huston Street.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Jager View Post
    I don't think there is any chance of that his first year. I'd say a max of 14 Wins, and ERA around 4.20
    He won't get any wins in Cleveland, when the bugs are on the lose again...

Leave a comment:

• sharrock
    replied
    Oh, and another thing....

Its interesting to me that the Sox have not signed Mirabelli and appear to be looking for a backup catcher who can carry more of the load. That makes me wonder about the catching plan for 2008 but also afterwards because Tek's contract ends after this upcoming season.

Perhaps the plan is to look toward having two equal catchers in the future, with Tek at both a lower salary and less playing time to keep his bat fresh. That way you could still take advantage of his pitching coach like mind.

Just a position I'm watching.

Leave a comment:

• sharrock
    replied
    Originally posted by Westlake View Post
    Red Sox have signed Mike Timlin for another year.
    $3M is the dollar figure I read. Not bad at all considering the money that has gone to mediocre relievers the last two ofseasons. Plus its only a one year deal.

I like Timlin as a veteran in a young Pen and as a 7th inning guy who can get groundballs/doubleplays. I still see a need for a RH set-up man unless they plan to entrust that to Delcarman.

Leave a comment:

• Westlake
    replied
    Red Sox have signed Mike Timlin for another year.

Leave a comment:

• Dirt Dog
    replied
    Late here...been on a cruise to Cozumel this week and its hard to get much news at all. Good to hear though that Lowell resigned, I thought that was the #1 deal that needed to get done going into the offseason. Mike could have really made more money elsewhere as well as a 4-year contract. Not too many players would have turned done deals like that. To some it's not always about the money. He seems very comfortable and content with the Sox and he's a good fit on the field and in the clubhouse. He really goes about doing his job w/o alot of flare. I would like to see him hitting 5th next year.

Also congrats to Lowell with being awarded the Thomas A. Yawkey Award, the team's MVP.

Leave a comment:

• Jager
    replied
    I don't think there is any chance of that his first year. I'd say a max of 14 Wins, and ERA around 4.20

Leave a comment:

• Charger567
    replied
    Originally posted by BosoxOrioles69 View Post
    It might be different once he starts this season as a starting pitcher. He'd have to reduce his speed so he can last longer.
    True, but I would assume not reaching back would only improve his pin point control further.

I am expecting something like:

17-5
    3.30 ERA
    200 K's

Leave a comment:

• BosoxOrioles69
    replied
    Originally posted by Charger567 View Post
    I think Joba has a higher ceiling than Hughes does. I have never seen someone throw so hard with perfect command like Joba does.
    It might be different once he starts this season as a starting pitcher. He'd have to reduce his speed so he can last longer.

Leave a comment:

• Charger567
    replied
    I think Joba has a higher ceiling than Hughes does. I have never seen someone throw so hard with perfect command like Joba does.

Leave a comment:

• Jager
    replied
    Joba looked great for one inning per game, but lets see how he does when he's asked to pitch 6 or 7. I'm not saying Joba won't be a very good pitcher down the road, but I do think that it's absurd that Yankee fans Are making him out to be the next Nolan Ryan without him ever starting a game.

Leave a comment:

• MudvilleMike
    replied
    Let's not forget that Santana will earn a ton of money (unless he's a rent a year player). A young low-salary player given in return doesn't have to be nearly as good as Santana to be a more valuable net asset.

When not covered by a million bugs, Joba looks like an amazing pitcher.

Leave a comment:

• Dogdaze
    replied
    Can someone clear this up for me?

How untouchable are the Yank's untouchables? Fans and the FO are saying they are unwilling to give up their trinity, even for Santana. So what the hell? Are these guys really expected to be the next three Santana's? Are we pretty much screwed?
    I agree with Jager on this, they look good, but the next Santana's? I think not! Though I think all three could be very good, and possibly they can become aces, but it's too early to know at this point.

But what would scare me is if the Yankees trade one or two of those pitching prospects for Santana who is a legitimate ace.

Leave a comment:

• Jager
    replied
    Can someone clear this up for me?

How untouchable are the Yank's untouchables? Fans and the FO are saying they are unwilling to give up their trinity, even for Santana. So what the hell? Are these guys really expected to be the next three Santana's? Are we pretty much screwed?

Call me crazy, but I'm not very scared of the Yankees big three rookie pitchers. No one had ever heard of Kennedy before this year, and he was only mediocre at best. Joba has NEVER made a start in the majors, and lets face it you need to be on your top game for 6 or 7 innings as a starter, and only 1 inning as a reliever, and Hughes didn't look all that good either this year. Yankee fans keep making them out to be amazing, but I'd take Beckett, Matsuzaka, (who are both still young) Buchholz, Lester over those guys, plus we have Bowden and Masterson who look great, and Hagadone, Johnson, and a few others that look very promising.

Plus, we have Papelbon closing games for the next however many years, while their closer is at the end of his career, and declining.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X