Red Sox Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sox Offseason

Post any offseason transactions, trades, signings, rumors, and thoughts...

Free Agents

Starting Position Players
    Mike Lowell

Starting Pitchers
    Curt Schilling (filed for FA)
    Matt Clement* (filed for FA)

Bullpen
    Mike Timlin
    Eric Gagne
    Javier Lopez
    Kyle Snyder
    Bryan Corey
    Craig Breslow

Bench
    Eric Hinske (filed for FA)
    Bobby Kielty (filed for FA)
    Doug Mirabelli
    Royce Clayton

*DL

Club Options
    Tim Wakefield
    Julian Tavarez

Lowell is #1 priority. I think that most every fan wants Lowell back, but how much money/years will keep him here?

Heard Schill on WEEI yesterday before the parade and he thinks that the Sox may very well not sign him. I think he's border line. Schill wants a 1 yr/$13 m deal. Reports are is that he's gone. If that's true, thanks for the memories. His place in Red Sox history is cemented forever.

Wake. Just how bad is his health? Is Mirabelli tied to Wake? If Wake's health is not that big of a conern, mangement will clearly pick up his $4 m option. He plans to undergo an arthrogram testing soon.

Coco. Trade or 4th OF? Don't know if Coco would accept a lesser role. He could start on many other teams, but keeping him gives the OF solid depth, but I think he'll be traded.

Gagne. You got your ring. Bye.

here is my to do list

1. sign Lowell
    2. sign AROD (yes i am serious)
    3. trade Coco for pitching
    3. sign Kielty
    4. sign Timlin
    5. pick up option on Wake (if healthy)
    6. pick up option on Tavarez

Comment

I've stickied this thread, having received 2 requests to do so.

Now that the confetti is swept up and the hangovers are fading, it's Hot Stove Season! :hyper:

The Sox have to do everything possible to bring Lowell back. Not only is he tremendous on the field, but in the clubhouse and community, and to let him walk would be a blow. Youk could fill in over at 3rd but his strength is at 1B, and I really don't see an upside to letting Lowell go.
      --Annie
      Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
      Remember Yellowdog
      ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
        here is my to do list

1. sign Lowell
        2. sign AROD (yes i am serious)
        3. trade Coco for pitching
        3. sign Kielty
        4. sign Timlin
        5. pick up option on Wake (if healthy)
        6. pick up option on Tavarez
        I agree with everything you say, EXCEPT for the A-Rod part. Is it just because he has lots of impressive statistics that you think he should be on the team? What about the negative impact of the non-statistical matters? And the dollars? And the impact of those dollars to A-Rod as felt by all the others, who have proven themselves in a Red Sox uniform, and who would be getting a lot less dollars than he would?

Isn't there more to baseball than RBIs and homeruns?

Comment

As other's have said, I'd say that resigning Lowell is a priority. I'd say two years plus some kind of resting option for a third year is fair.

If they can't get Lowell, I think Arod would be a BAD idea. This management team has made a point of not signing players in their mid-30's to long term, big money deals...seems a bad place to ditch that policy. If they can't get Lowell, the have options...bring up Jed Lowrie to play 3b or SS, and have Lugo play the other spot, or bring up the 1b we got for Wily Mo and move Youk back to 3b, or move Youk to 3b and play Brandon Moss at 1b.

Other than the Lowell situation, I'd say you need either Wakefield or Schiling back, but not both. Wakefield is cheaper, so if he's healthy, I'd say he's the guy.

If Timlin wants to come back, I'm game. Taravas can walk.

Crisp is overkill for a 4th OF, and probably wouldn't be happy in that role. I say trade him for pitching or a C or 3b prospect, if possible.

If the "back of the pen" guys like Javier Lopez, Kyle Snyder, Bryan Corey, and Craig Breslow are cheap, bring a few of 'em back, although that's not a huge deal. I think the back of the pen and the bench can work themselves out without resigning the current guys unless they're inexpensive and understand their roles. Obviously, Mirabelli coming back is 100% dependant on Wakefield's status.

Gagne should at least get us a draft pick, which is about the only good he'll have done for us.
          Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Get Lowell back for at least two years.

Sign Rodriguez

Trade Crisp
            "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Count me out for wanting to sign A-Rod.

I'm tired of all the big FA acquisitions.
              Originally posted by Domenic
              The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Originally posted by DickZ View Post
                There was a time....
                "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

There was a time, but a guy who can get you the RBI's A-ROD can is a guy you want on your team.
                  Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

I agree with everything you say, EXCEPT for the A-Rod part. Is it just because he has lots of impressive statistics that you think he should be on the team? What about the negative impact of the non-statistical matters? And the dollars? And the impact of those dollars to A-Rod as felt by all the others, who have proven themselves in a Red Sox uniform, and who would be getting a lot less dollars than he would?

here is a good article i read this morning by Steven Buckley...i agree with what he is saying

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...icleid=1041574

Comment

I can't believe anyone would even consider A-rod after the stunt he pulled during Game 4. This guy only cares about himself and money.
                      "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes View Post
                        ... but a guy who can get you the RBI's A-ROD can is a guy you want on your team.
                        Not if he destroys the team in the process of getting his 150 RBIs. That's what I mean when I ask "isn't there more to it than stats?"

We have a pretty good clubhouse going now, and for those of you whose experience is limited to just the past few years, that is a rarity in Red Sox baseball. There's a good chance A-Rod would destroy all that. His fantastic numbers have never meant anything substantial to any of the teams that he's played for. And by substantial, I mean something more than MVP or leader in homers - I mean the postseason, which is a whole lot more important than leading the league in five individual batting categories.

Comment

Not if he destroys the team in the process of getting his 150 RBIs. That's what I mean when I ask "isn't there more to it than stats?"

We have a pretty good clubhouse going now, and for those of you whose experience is limited to just the past few years, that is a rarity in Red Sox baseball. There's a good chance A-Rod would destroy all that. His fantastic numbers have never meant anything substantial to any of the teams that he's played for. And by substantial, I mean something more than MVP or leader in homers - I mean the postseason, which is a whole lot more important than leading the league in five individual batting categories.
                          i think we have the leaders in the clubhouse that will prevent any of that. Maybe AROD would benifit from a clubhouse that lets you have a little fun, rather than the stuffy Yankee clubhouse. How many of you were thrilled when we got Manny? He was looked at just like AROD is now. I trust the leadership of Tek, Papi, Wake, and Francona

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
                            How many of you were thrilled when we got Manny?
                            *Raises Hand*

I remember thinking Manny was the most clutch hitter in the game, and I totally wanted him on my team. I'm still glad he's around too. BB, you are seriously the last person on these boards I thought would be lobbying for A-rod-- with the scorn you have for all things in pinstripes. I can't think of a more devisive individual than Stray Rod.

One poster on the link you posted summed it up for me:

Let's see ... Lowell is too old at 33 for a 3-4 year contract. But Arod, at 32, we'll consider for 10 years (at 30 million per). How does that make any sense?
                            "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

Originally posted by maximum jack View Post
                              *Raises Hand*

I remember thinking Manny was the most clutch hitter in the game, and I totally wanted him on my team. I'm still glad he's around too. BB, you are seriously the last person on these boards I thought would be lobbying for A-rod-- with the scorn you have for all things in pinstripes. I can't think of a more devisive individual than Stray Rod.

One poster on the link you posted summed it up for me:
                              yes, i know, i know...i do hate all things Yankees, but this guy was not a Yankee per say, he never really fit in. I am saying sign Lowell(3B) and AROD (SS). AROD is the best player in baseball IMO and we seem to have a good working relationship with Bora$. I will also say, if Lowell and AROD sign with other teams, it will not be the end of the world.

With that said and to change gears a bit, if Lowell goes to another team, what are our options at third and first. I say move Youk to third, but who is in our farm or on another team that we would want at first?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X