Bobby Doerr passes at 99+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby Doerr passes at 99+

Bobby Doerr, Red Sox HOF 2nd baseman has passed away per Baseball Reference.com info posted this morning.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...oerrbo01.shtml

RIP.
    Anyone know who the oldest living HOFer is now?
    27 World Championships
    22 retired numbers
    Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
    Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

Red Schoendienst, who will turn 95 on February 2, is now the oldest living HOFer.
      Doerr debuted in 1937. Everybody else who had played for the Red Sox through 1949 had already died. Only Charlie Maxwell is living from the 1950 team. At age 90, Maxwell is the 3rd oldest Red Sox player behind Len Okrie (age 94, played for Sox in 1952) and Paul Hinrichs (age 92, played for Sox in 1951.)

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
        Red Schoendienst, who will turn 95 on February 2, is now the oldest living HOFer.
        Doerr debuted in 1937. Everybody else who had played for the Red Sox through 1949 had already died. Only Charlie Maxwell is living from the 1950 team. At age 90, Maxwell is the 3rd oldest Red Sox player behind Len Okrie (age 94, played for Sox in 1952) and Paul Hinrichs (age 92, played for Sox in 1951.)
        I'd be curious as to how many MLB players are still alive that played in the 1930's (any left at all now?) and 1940's (got to be at least a few I would think). Your post above about the *oldest* former Red Sox having played in the 1950's really made me feel old (At least, that was my initial reaction on reading it.) Time sure passes fast but it doesn't always seem like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Calif_Eagle View Post

I'd be curious as to how many MLB players are still alive that played in the 1930's (any left at all now?) and 1940's (got to be at least a few I would think). Your post above about the *oldest* former Red Sox having played in the 1950's really made me feel old (At least, that was my initial reaction on reading it.) Time sure passes fast but it doesn't always seem like it.
          I don't have any list in front of me, but I don't think it's likely that there are any living players who played MLB in the 30s. For example, if a 20 year old rookie- pretty young- came up in 1939, ne would have been born in 1919. That would make him about 98 now. So, it's possible but unlikely.

Comment

With Doerr's death, there is nobody alive who played in the major leagues prior to 1941.

Comment

Doerr was the last player to have played against Lou Gehrig.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X