Ticket prices rise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticket prices rise

Tickets to Fenway are going up 9%. Tickets range from $12 (upper bleachers) to $90 (Loge box).

Looks like I'll skip the Fens again this year. Gotta wait for that winning lottery ticket before I can go see that little bandbox again.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...e_of_champions
    --Annie
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
    Remember Yellowdog
    ABNY

I didn't make it to Fenway last year, hope to this coming season, but with a wedding to pay for in June, we'll have to see.

On the other hand, I did hit about 20 games at McCoy stadium to see the Pawsox...the best seat in the house is $10, and general admission is $6. They don't soak you for concessions, either.

Plus, seeing the younger players develop is great. I got to see Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz, Brandon Moss et all before many Red Sox fans.

Thank goodness New England has a large number of minor league teams for those of us without huge amounts of expendible income to enjoy!
    Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
      I didn't make it to Fenway last year, hope to this coming season, but with a wedding to pay for in June, we'll have to see.

On the other hand, I did hit about 20 games at McCoy stadium to see the Pawsox...the best seat in the house is $10, and general admission is $6. They don't soak you for concessions, either.

Plus, seeing the younger players develop is great. I got to see Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz, Brandon Moss et all before many Red Sox fans.

Thank goodness New England has a large number of minor league teams for those of us without huge amounts of expendible income to enjoy!
      I just moved back to Mass, and have't been to Fenway in about 10 years, so I definetely want to catch at least one game next season, but I plan on going to quite a few Pawsox games.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post

Always plenty of great tickets available as well, and not a bad seat in the house.

I wish they had more noon weekday games down there though, it's a pain to go down any other time from up here...
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Looks like we're signing A-rod.

Also looks like I'm not going back to Fenway this year, either.

Comment

Considering the size of Fenway, the Sox rabid following, and what scalpers can get for the tickets the Sox ticket prices are very reasonable.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

I think that I went to 8 games this past season, and only saw one win (home opener). I also had the unique pleasure of seeing Oki, Paps, and Tito give up a huge lead and hand a game to the Yanks in my last visit. The team got hot after I stopped going...I'm never going again! They'll probably win 120 games next season as a result.
              (Somebody please remind me of this post next spring and see if I'm still singing the same tune)
              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                Considering the size of Fenway, the Sox rabid following, and what scalpers can get for the tickets the Sox ticket prices are very reasonable.
                That's a good point. "Face Value" isn't really important when it comes to Red Sox tickets, because they're nearly impossible to buy directly from the team, anyway. You end up paying $40 each for bleacher tickets, no matter what.

Heck, I have a friend who paid $250 EACH for STANDING ROOM ONLY tickets for a Red Sox/Yanks game this year.
                Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

Money, Money, Money, MONEY.

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                    I think that I went to 8 games this past season, and only saw one win (home opener). I also had the unique pleasure of seeing Oki, Paps, and Tito give up a huge lead and hand a game to the Yanks in my last visit. The team got hot after I stopped going...I'm never going again! They'll probably win 120 games next season as a result.
                    (Somebody please remind me of this post next spring and see if I'm still singing the same tune)
                    A little OT here, but I read an article about Papelbon in which he stated that he'd been incapacitated with a blinding migraine all that day, and was full of meds and wasn't even going to pitch that night, but Oki gave it up, and Papelbon said that he could go. In retrospect he realized that he really shouldn't have taken the ball that night.
                    --Annie
                    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                    Remember Yellowdog
                    ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by ability View Post
                      This doesn't surprise me in the least. It's all about the moolah.

$$$$
                      My Top 4 funniest BBF posts ever:

1) "plZ dOn;t' pOsT LikE tHIs n e mOr!"

2) "The teams play 1962 games in 180 days."

3) "Stadiums don't move silly, people do."

4) "Once again you quibble, because it is I who speaks."

5) Almost anything RuthMayBond says...

Comment

Originally posted by Knick9 View Post
                        This doesn't surprise me in the least. It's all about the moolah.

$$$$
                        To think that it was only a few years ago that they had a good amount of trouble selling tickets against weak teams even with prices cut in half, now they rarely have an empty seat in the house against the worst of the worst...
                        Best posts ever:
                        Originally posted by nymdan
                        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan View Post
                          A little OT here, but I read an article about Papelbon in which he stated that he'd been incapacitated with a blinding migraine all that day, and was full of meds and wasn't even going to pitch that night, but Oki gave it up, and Papelbon said that he could go. In retrospect he realized that he really shouldn't have taken the ball that night.
                          My friend who had scored the tickets told me the same story, Annie. I think that Paps is just so intense that he would have a very hard time asking out of a game. I think that Oki was even worse than Paps...it was during his bad stretch before he got some rest, and I am still a little worried about him after his last few games in the postseason. Maybe he was just tired, but I wonder if he tips his pitches somehow and teams caught on towards the end of the year. If batters know what's coming from him, he has no chance.
                          Just bad timing for me and my friends...we went from states of bliss to torment in a matter of a few minutes. And, we all felt that Tito panicked in that game, from the way he was using his pitchers.
                          I was getting pretty bummed due to my poor track record...I'm a lot closer to Fenway than you, but it's still a haul, and I started wondering if it was worth it after seeing loss after loss. My friends provided a lot of the tickets, but I still spent about $1000 on tickets for 3 games where I was treating.

This ties into Mike D's point...a great many of the people at games have had to buy their tickets through some kind of reseller at a huge markup, so team is still missing out on gobs of revenue that some middlemen are pocketing for basically doing nothing. Other than tying up phone and ticket lines when the things go on sale.
                          "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Yeah, I don't understand how that's not scalping. It's really no different than buying tickets, and standing outside Fenway with a sign. Personally as much as I would hate to see the Sox playing another place other than Fenway, but they Sox really owe it to their fans. Right now, it's just too expensive to take a family most of the time, and with all the middleman stuff going on, it's hard to get tickets. IT's just ridiculous. They really do need a new stadium. I know part of the allure of the Sox and Fenway is that it's right in downtown Boston, but they could figure something else out. It really needds to be done, not only for the financial health of the franchise, but for relief of good hardworking Sox fans that can't afford tickets because they are so astronomical.

Comment

Are these middlemen who sell tickets all season ticket holders? Are all seats now sold only on a seasonal basis?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X