The Mount Rushmore(s) of Red Sox History

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mount Rushmore(s) of Red Sox History

Because come on. You can't pick just four.

The Kings (Tier 1)
    Ted Williams
    David Ortiz
    Cy Young
    Pedro Martinez

The Princes (Tier 2)
    Roger Clemens
    Carl Yastrzemski
    Wade Boggs
    ...Babe Ruth (if he even counts)

The Apprentices (Other Notables)
    Bobby Doerr
    Joe Cronin
    Dustin Pedroia
    Jim Rice
    Tris Speaker
    Lefty Grove
    Dwight Evans
    Carlton Fisk
    Jimmie Foxx
    Mookie Betts
    Fred Lynn
    Nomar Garciaparra
    Luis Tiant

No order within the top two tiers... went with the guys who spent the majority/best part of their careers with Boston first. Rate 'em, hate 'em, debate 'em, relate to 'em.

No Manny?

Comment

Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
      No Manny?
      He definitely counts, yeah, the "others" list isn't limited to the names given. I think there are others I'd put ahead of ManRam in making a fourth group, though.

Part-Time Legends
      Lefty Grove
      Jimmie Foxx
      Tris Speaker
      Carlton Fisk

B's in the Outfield
      Jim Rice
      Fred Lynn
      Dwight Evans
      Manny Ramirez

^not ready to add Betts just yet, he's gotta show that he's not following in Lynn's footsteps as a golden boy who fizzles out after his peak and putters along at barely starter-level for a decade to stat-pad.

Comment

No worries. I always get a kick out of seeing lists like this, especially from (what I presume is) a fan of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by pedrosrotatorcuff View Post

He definitely counts, yeah, the "others" list isn't limited to the names given. I think there are others I'd put ahead of ManRam in making a fourth group, though.

Part-Time Legends
          Lefty Grove
          Jimmie Foxx
          Tris Speaker
          Carlton Fisk

B's in the Outfield
          Jim Rice
          Fred Lynn
          Dwight Evans
          Manny Ramirez

^not ready to add Betts just yet, he's gotta show that he's not following in Lynn's footsteps as a golden boy who fizzles out after his peak and putters along at barely starter-level for a decade to stat-pad.
          whoops. should have seen that one

Comment

Aren't Pedro and Manny part-time Red Sox?
            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

I'm not a Red Sox fan so maybe I don't have a right to weigh in, but I think Yaz deserves to be in Tier 1. Cy Young only played for Boston in 8 of his 22 seasons. Yaz was a legendary player who never played for another team.
              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
              2. Barry Bonds
              3. Ty Cobb
              4. Ted Williams
              5. Willie Mays
              6. Alex Rodriguez
              7. Hank Aaron
              8. Honus Wagner
              9. Lou Gehrig
              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                I'm not a Red Sox fan so maybe I don't have a right to weigh in, but I think Yaz deserves to be in Tier 1. Cy Young only played for Boston in 8 of his 22 seasons. Yaz was a legendary player who never played for another team.
                Definitely. I was trying to balance the first tier with two pitchers and two hitters apiece, and Papi's role in defining the Sox of the 21st century doesn't automatically put him over Yaz, Pedro or Young in everyone's mind. I can't honestly think of a SP of note who had a 10+ year career entirely with the Sawx though, other than maybe Mel Parnell. [checks Wiki] yep. it's Parnell and Bob Stanley for pitchers... maybe if I was doing 5 or 6 different groups I could squeeze them in.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X