Neil Diamond and "SWEET CAROLINE"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Diamond and "SWEET CAROLINE"

Though not specifically baseball related, I thought the RED SOX NATION might find this AP story quite interesting.

Neil Diamond, for the first time, has discussed where the inspiration for his all-time hit song "SWEET CAROLINE" came from.

Read more...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21898988/

c.

Thanks, Deb. I guess it almost make sense that a Kennedy would inspire a Red Sox classic - even if it took something like 40 years from the time he wrote it before the Red Sox started playing it at Fenway Park.
    Last edited by DickZ; 11-20-2007, 11:39 AM.

Comment

am I the only person in the world that thinks it is bizarre that he freely admits he wrote his arguably biggest romance song about a 9 year old little girl???

Comment

The talk jocks were going NUTS over this one this AM...I was crying on the way to work. I seriously hope that Diamond just got the idea for the song title from the photo and not all the "touching warm" stuff.
        One of the radio guys reported that Caroline Kennedy had to immediately run and take a shower after Diamond fessed up...I almost drove off the road.
        You know, despite the hair dye, combover, and plastic surgery, Neil is really getting up there in years...he may just be at that point where he says what he wants and doesn't care what people think. No offense to the seniors here, I have just noticed that a lot of people in my life just say what's on their minds more when they get older, and don't obsess with what people think about it.
        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

I'm curious, other than the obvious Ted Kennedy, how many of them were Red Sox fans? Was JFK or RFK a Red Sox fan? Of the women, were Maria Shriver or Eunice Kennedy?
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I can't for the life of me figure out how "Sweet Caroline" suddenly became all the rage at Fenway. It happened around me. While I lived in Boston, in my early 20's... going to Fenway all the time... and then one day, about 9 years ago it hit me hoe bizarre the situation was (and still is).

NOW I work with people in their 20's who don't even realize that "Sweet Caroline" had a life way before the 7th inning stretch at Fenway.

I just don't get it - i actually get the whole "Tessie" thing more... at least it is relevant to the Red Sox (and baseball).
            sigpic
            Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
            Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

BTW: from what I can tell, THIS may be the photo that inspired him:

sigpic
              Learn more about my collection by clicking here. Can't find what you need? Visit Sportlots.com.
              Trusted Traders: Mike D.(8), duckydps(6), ttmman21(5), Dalkowski110(4), dmbfan(4), chucksk8er(3), anjo(2), Extra Innings(2), kearns643(2), RuthMayBond(2), The Commissioner(2), card-closure-man, closer28, Coachsmallhead, Cubsfan97, jakre, jjac, Ken Hastings, latinball, NYYgraphs, Phish, Pods Fan 22, riredsox, rugbyfreak, SportsAutosTTM, The Prowling Cat, Zito75, 14Bravesfan14

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                I'm curious, other than the obvious Ted Kennedy, how many of them were Red Sox fans? Was JFK or RFK a Red Sox fan? Of the women, were Maria Shriver or Eunice Kennedy?
                Her great grandfather, the former Boston Mayor, was a die hard Braves and Red Sox fan in his day so the connection is deep...
                Last edited by efin98; 11-21-2007, 04:40 PM.
                Best posts ever:
                Originally posted by nymdan
                Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                  I can't for the life of me figure out how "Sweet Caroline" suddenly became all the rage at Fenway.
                  Simple... it's an uptempo song, it's got a good beat, and it has a part where the crowd can participate ("SO GOOD! SO GOOD! SO GOOD!").

They've played it at Shea Stadium this year, showing the lyrics along with an appropriate Mets clip on Diamond Vision. When they get to the part where Neil sings "Reaching Out" they show Endy Chavez making the catch in the 2006 NLCS.

X
                  What's THAT guy doing?
                  - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                    Simple... it's an uptempo song, it's got a good beat, and it has a part where the crowd can participate ("SO GOOD! SO GOOD! SO GOOD!").

They've played it at Shea Stadium this year, showing the lyrics along with an appropriate Mets clip on Diamond Vision. When they get to the part where Neil sings "Reaching Out" they show Endy Chavez making the catch in the 2006 NLCS.
                    OK - but that really doesn't explain the sensation.
                    Last edited by MadHatter; 11-22-2007, 08:12 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                      Her great grandfather, the former Boston Mayor, was a die hard Braves and Red Sox fan in his day so the connection is deep...
                      Was Caroline's great grandfather one on her father's side and thus a Kennedy? What was his name, and when was he the Boston mayor?

Of all the Kennedys, I've only known Sen Ted to be a big fan of the team. Is his son Patrick (I think he is or was a Congressman from Rhode Island) a BoSox fan?
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
                        Was Caroline's great grandfather one on her father's side and thus a Kennedy? What was his name, and when was he the Boston mayor?

Of all the Kennedys, I've only known Sen Ted to be a big fan of the team. Is his son Patrick (I think he is or was a Congressman from Rhode Island) a BoSox fan?

Caroline. indeed, had two incredible great-grandfathers. The one you are referring to is JOHN "HONEY FITZ" FITZGERALD, the father of Rose Kennedy, President Kennedy's mother. He was first a Congressman from MA, then became Mayor of Boston (what a story here). I believe it was in the early 20th century. Her other great-grandfather was PATRICK KENNEDY, President Kennedy's father.

Patrick is Senator Ted Kennedy's youngest son...and yes, he is a Congressman from RI. I think one can assume that all the Kennedy's are RED SOX FANS, of one degree or another.

c.

Comment

Okay, so the song was supposedly inspired by Caroline Kennedy, and the Kennedys are a Massachusetts family, and some of them are or were Red Sox fans. But since the song's inspiration was presumably unknown to the Sox staffer who first played it at Fenway, that can't have anything to do with the rationale for playing it.

I've been to Fenway, but I first heard "Sweet Caroline" in a baseball context because it gets played at the California-Carolina All-Star Games (in the years when it was played in the Carolina League parks, anyway). If you're rooting for the Carolina League over the California League, and especially if you're in North or South Carolina, it makes sense. No analysis needed. Is it possible that the Red Sox got it from here? Somebody just thought it "worked" at a ballgame?

Now, I was just looking at Brian Merzbach's review of West End Field, where the Greenville Drive play. The Drive are in the Sally, not the Carolina, but they are both a Red Sox affiliate and in the state of South Carolina, so it seems like a no-brainer for them to play it. But he says, "can't the Drive come up with their own traditions? I really doubt that there are a lot of Red Sox fans in South Carolina." Brian, I love your site, but you seem off-track here. Inexplicable though the Red Sox's own use of the song may be, given that they do use it, for an affiliated team in Carolina to not play it would make even less sense. As for the local fan base, with the big club as recent two-time champions, and a fine new ballpark that's modeled on Fenway, I'm sure there's more Red Sox fans in South Carolina than there used to be. That's kind of how affiliated teams are supposed to work.

As for the Carolina League, the Red Sox are expected to be back in that loop as well in 2009, now that they own the Salem (Virginia) Avalanche and the Astros' PDC runs out this year. I'll be hearing it even more!

Comment

Originally posted by spark240 View Post
                            Okay, so the song was supposedly inspired by Caroline Kennedy, and the Kennedys are a Massachusetts family, and some of them are or were Red Sox fans. But since the song's inspiration was presumably unknown to the Sox staffer who first played it at Fenway, that can't have anything to do with the rationale for playing it.

I think it was conscious decision to pick a song that was crosss-generational and sing-a-long-able in the way that "New York, New York" is. (How long have the Yankees been using that one?) It is kind of silly that it has no bearing on the Red Sox or Boston, but it is a great song.
                            "I believe in the Church of Baseball. I tried all the major religions and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I learned that, I gave Jesus a chance." ~Ron Shelton, from Bull Durham

Comment

yeah, plus when you're at fenway singing that song with thousands of other people, it's just cool. it gets so freaking loud when SO GOOD SO GOOD SO GOOD!! comes around

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X