Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manny's Next Team

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Manny's Next Team

    If I recall correctly, this is the last year on Manny's contract. Frankly, I'm amazed Theo hasn't moved him to a power-starved team that could DH him like the Angels or the Mariners. Nevertheless, what do people think will happen to Manny after this season? I'm sure his preference would be to continue playing left field, but I can't imagine very many teams giving him a chance at that, which would limit him to the AL. The Yankees will have an opening at DH after this season with Giambi gone, and Manny was raised in New York. I believe the Blue Jays will be done with Frank Thomas' awful contract too, and Manny was actually a Blue Jays fan growing up. The Angels would seem more likely if Vlad wasn't so likely to be pushed out of the outfield by next year, and I don't imagine Manny vibing well in Seattle. Anything else out there?

  • #2
    we have two team options on him for 2009 and 2010 i think at $20M. They will see what he does this year...i think by the All Star break if he is having another dismal year, they might shop him...we will see. I hope they keep him for the next three years.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think the Red Sox are more likely to pick up Manny's option than shop him in July. This is a team designed to go for another deep playoff run THIS year...and trading Manny away doesn't help that one bit.

      If everything goes wrong and the Red Sox are out of it in July, sure, they might try to move him, but the chances they won't be at least in striking distance of the playoffs come July 31 seems remote.

      A lot of what they do with Manny after 2008 has to do with three things - 1) Manny's performance 2) What Manny wants and 3) What other options are available for corner OF bats next off-season.
      Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

      Comment


      • #4
        I doubt that Theo would want to pick up a sizeable portion (30-40%) of Manny's salary to have him not play for them. They could put Lowell behind Ortiz, but I don't think they'd like this as much as Manny batting cleanup.

        As to Manny's future as a Red Sock (I guess that's a term, since my buddies use it), I think you need to look deeper into the organization's potential future plans. Look at whether or not the team acquires a certain southpaw wearing #57 in Minnesota. If they acquire him for $21-24m/yr, then I believe that's the end of Manny's Boston career.

        The team has done its best to hold down costs, and I'd be pretty surprised, not only if they could pay Santana's full salary in 2009 (when any extension would start), but also pick up Manny from 2009 onward.

        Of course, Manny could return to his usual ways and demand a trade in March or so ...
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
          I doubt that Theo would want to pick up a sizeable portion (30-40%) of Manny's salary to have him not play for them. They could put Lowell behind Ortiz, but I don't think they'd like this as much as Manny batting cleanup.

          As to Manny's future as a Red Sock (I guess that's a term, since my buddies use it), I think you need to look deeper into the organization's potential future plans. Look at whether or not the team acquires a certain southpaw wearing #57 in Minnesota. If they acquire him for $21-24m/yr, then I believe that's the end of Manny's Boston career.

          The team has done its best to hold down costs, and I'd be pretty surprised, not only if they could pay Santana's full salary in 2009 (when any extension would start), but also pick up Manny from 2009 onward.

          Of course, Manny could return to his usual ways and demand a trade in March or so ...
          Folks are talking about letting go of a guy who averages: .310 41 134 .405
          Like he was dead weight. LOL

          The Sox still hold the 2009 and 2010 Options @ $20M a piece.
          You might want to pick up the 2009 and then after that sign him to a new deal for 2-3 years or so depending on his health.
          "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TonyStarks View Post
            The Sox still hold the 2009 and 2010 Options @ $20M a piece.
            You might want to pick up the 2009 and then after that sign him to a new deal for 2-3 years or so depending on his health.
            I think that sounds like a very real possibility. With A-Rod set to pull down nearly $30 million per year, being able to seal up Manny for 2 more seasons at $20 million per doesn't sound so crazy anymore. I also think that dangling the possibility of an extension that overrides the 2nd option year might be enough to keep Manny from checking out in the hopes that the Sox decline the option and let him seek greener pastures elsewhere.

            2007 World Series Champions
            The Boston Red Sox

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by king_ghidora View Post
              If I recall correctly, this is the last year on Manny's contract. Frankly, I'm amazed Theo hasn't moved him to a power-starved team that could DH him like the Angels or the Mariners. Nevertheless, what do people think will happen to Manny after this season? I'm sure his preference would be to continue playing left field, but I can't imagine very many teams giving him a chance at that, which would limit him to the AL. The Yankees will have an opening at DH after this season with Giambi gone, and Manny was raised in New York. I believe the Blue Jays will be done with Frank Thomas' awful contract too, and Manny was actually a Blue Jays fan growing up. The Angels would seem more likely if Vlad wasn't so likely to be pushed out of the outfield by next year, and I don't imagine Manny vibing well in Seattle. Anything else out there?
              I'm sure the Yankees would love to take Manny, just like they took Damon, to improve their own lineup while weakening Boston's - and that would put a huge dent in the heart of the Red Sox lineup.

              I am in agreement that Manny should stay in the AL and play most games as the DH.
              :cap:

              Comment


              • #8
                The fundamental problem is that Manny is a DH and we already have a DH. I think I'd just let him go after this year.
                BOSTON RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS 19031912191519161918 20042007

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MudvilleMike View Post
                  The fundamental problem is that Manny is a DH and we already have a DH. I think I'd just let him go after this year.
                  That's incredibly oversimplistic. There's a reason we put up with Manny's mediocre glove in left, and it's not because we can't find other left fielders who could defend better than he does. Even if sabermetrically his defense cancels out his own run creation he stretches out the lineup, provides protection to Ortiz, and probably defends a bit better than the numbers indicate, especially at Fenway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MudvilleMike View Post
                    The fundamental problem is that Manny is a DH and we already have a DH. I think I'd just let him go after this year.

                    Just letting him go would be a terrible idea. He would almost definetely end up on the Yankees. I say after this year, we exercise the team option, and attempt to trade him, because at least then we can control what team he goes to, and likely they would want to have him for a few years.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jager View Post
                      Just letting him go would be a terrible idea. He would almost definetely end up on the Yankees. I say after this year, we exercise the team option, and attempt to trade him, because at least then we can control what team he goes to, and likely they would want to have him for a few years.
                      Does he have a no-trade clause - full or partial?
                      :cap:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Silver Blaze View Post
                        Does he have a no-trade clause - full or partial?
                        Yes, he's a 10-5.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                          Yes, he's a 10-5.

                          Yeah, but last year was the first time in 5 years that he hasn't requested a trade. Their is probably a decent chance he'll ask for a trade at some point.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jager View Post
                            Yeah, but last year was the first time in 5 years that he hasn't requested a trade. Their is probably a decent chance he'll ask for a trade at some point.
                            There's a reason why he was quiet, he just might get the trade now that the market caught up with his contract and teams might be willing to actually take on his deal...
                            Best posts ever:
                            Originally posted by nymdan
                            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                              That's incredibly oversimplistic. There's a reason we put up with Manny's mediocre glove in left, and it's not because we can't find other left fielders who could defend better than he does. Even if sabermetrically his defense cancels out his own run creation he stretches out the lineup, provides protection to Ortiz, and probably defends a bit better than the numbers indicate, especially at Fenway.
                              Good points. Oh, and a belated welcome Imgran.

                              I know Manny is no gold glover, but I feel he's a better fielder then some give him credit for, particularly at Fenway.

                              Manny has been very valuable for the Sox, the protection he provides for Big Papi would be difficult to replace, not to mention the production he brings to our lineup.

                              Manny did show some slugging decline in 2007 but he was 36 years old and age eventually catches up with all of us. But that being said, if Manny is productive in 2008 as I believe he will be, I'm guessing the Sox will pick up his option for 2009.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X