Manny's Next Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MudvilleMike View Post
    The fundamental problem is that Manny is a DH and we already have a DH. I think I'd just let him go after this year.
    I think Manny is one of the greatest LF to ever play the wall at Fenway. Sure, he may have some gaffs here and there, but he is not a bad LF IMO

Comment

You got to think Manny will be gone. Sure he's offered us power, and protected Ortiz better than anyone else (which is why we should not trade him now) and I don't want to trade him at all (although unless he's guaranteed to leave), but it's time for him to go after his contract is up. His 20 million contract is a deep hole within this team. Unless we signed him for less money, I say let him go. Ortiz's power may be diminished, but he will not be bad. I think Theo will let Manny go because he doesn't help the team stay any younger or rebuild when necessary. I give Manny all the credit so far, but when his contract is done, I say let him go. Until then, keep him on our team.
      Last edited by PWNdroia; 12-13-2007, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by adam1990 View Post
        You got to think Manny will be gone. Sure he's offered us power, and protected Ortiz better than anyone else (which is why we should not trade him now) and I don't want to trade him at all (although unless he's guaranteed to leave), but it's time for him to go after his contract is up. His 20 million contract is a deep hole within this team. Unless we signed him for less money, I say let him go. Ortiz's power may be diminished, but he will not be bad. I think Theo will let Manny go because he doesn't help the team stay any younger or rebuild when necessary. I give Manny all the credit so far, but when his contract is done, I say let him go. Until then, keep him on our team.
        i would say a few years ago, the $20 mil was way too much...but now with the market the way it is, i say $20 mil is about right

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
          i would say a few years ago, the $20 mil was way too much...but now with the market the way it is, i say $20 mil is about right
          I wouldn't have said that it was way too much in 2004. He was a big reason the Red Sox won the World Series, and that is worth a lot of money. The investment in Manny more than paid off.

Manny was pretty good for someone who had a "dismal year" as his OPS+ was higher than Mike Lowell's.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt1901 View Post
            I wouldn't have said that it was way too much in 2004. He was a big reason the Red Sox won the World Series, and that is worth a lot of money. The investment in Manny more than paid off.

Manny was pretty good for someone who had a "dismal year" as his OPS+ was higher than Mike Lowell's.
            Agreed, in today's market, after seeing Hunter get 18 million per year. Manny's contract doesn't look that bad, and yeah he was/is worth the investment.

And while Manny is getting up there in age, he still produces, as Matt pointed out, and is still a very valuable player for our team. So unless he declines badly in 2008, I'm predicting he'll be in a Sox uniform for 2009.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X