The List of Sox players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The List of Sox players

here is the list of sox players that will appear on the Mitchell Report. Take it for what its worth

Players with Sox ties:

Brady Anderson,
    Manny Alexander
    Dante Bichette
    Wil Cordero
    Jose Canseco
    Roger Clemens
    Paxton Crawford
    Johnny Damon
    Carl Everett
    Rich Garces
    Eric Gagne
    Nomar Garciaparra
    Jeremy Giambi
    Trot Nixon
    Jose Offerman
    Julian Tavarez
    Maurice Vaughn
    Jason Varitek

Mo Vaughn and Jason Varitek are the only real blows here. Compared to the Yankees we got off pretty light.

I was actually surprised not to see Mark Bellhorn. He seemed to be a perfect candidate.

LOL @ Offerman, Crawford, and Giambi.

Comment

I saw that as well. The only one that really disappoints me being there is Jason Varitek. I will wait to see the complete report, but I am sad to see this.

Nomar Garciaparra would have upset me, but I have suspected that he had used P.E.D. based on his appearance in a muscle magazine with a really ripped upper body and his frequent injuries. It certainly led me to believe he was using something. Nomar was my favorite Red Sox player too.

Roger Clemens probably didn't use anything until after he left the Boston Red Sox. His career was in decline, so he was allowed to leave via free-agency. He suddenly turned his career around and once again became one of the top pitchers in the American League as he grew closer to and passed his 40th birthday.

At least Yankees fans won't be able to discredit the report because there weren't Red Sox players named.

Comment

Not him, please

Jason Varitek..........

I will wait for the allegations to bear out. Was he on the list because of hearsay, or is there verifiable evidence? Paper trails, financial transactions, failed tests?

This one is heartbreaking. I suspected Nomar, and kinda suspected Trot ( ), but hoped and hoped and hoped that Tek would not be on this list.
        --Annie
        Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
        Remember Yellowdog
        ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan View Post
          Jason Varitek..........

I will wait for the allegations to bear out. Was he on the list because of hearsay, or is there verifiable evidence? Paper trails, financial transactions, failed tests?

This one is heartbreaking. I suspected Nomar, and kinda suspected Trot ( ), but hoped and hoped and hoped that Tek would not be on this list.

MLB has already disputed the list that is going around. It says there are a few BIG errors. We'll see at 1pm though.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston Boxer View Post
            Rich Garces
            Did someone mix up the steriod/HGH list with the snack cake list?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt1901 View Post

Count me among those that are surprised by Jason Varitek being named!

Ughh.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                Mo Vaughn and Jason Varitek are the only real blows here. Compared to the Yankees we got off pretty light.
                Mo Vaughn is an obvious one to me to have used them. It goes right along with his history of injuries.

Varitek would surprise me but I do not think it will hurt him in the Red Sox Nation.
                sigpic

Comment

Anyone surprised to see Gabe Kapler's name not on there?
                  Dustin Pedroia was asked what the Red Sox need to do to turn it around. They have lost six straight and 14 of 21.
                  “I don’t know. I’m not a magic person. I just play second base,” he said.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt1901 View Post
                    Garces just liked his roids wrapped in bacon.

That name really surprised me...maybe he was trying to get past the injury bug that limited him so much when he was pitching well?

If it's true about Rich and Jason, just goes to show that nice guys use, too.
                    "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post

I was actually surprised not to see Mark Bellhorn. He seemed to be a perfect candidate.
                      I haven't seen a Yankees list yet, but assuming BB's list is accurate, how do you figure you've gotten off light? We don't know when any of these players used or what context they are mentioned in, but (assuming the worst, which is admittedly unfair, but for the sake of conversation)...

- You would have at least three players on the 2004 Championship team on there, and three of the most beloved players of the team at that (Varitek, Nixon, Damon), including the team's captain.

- This could moot the once passionate Nomar/Jeter debate once for and all

- You would have a player that won an MVP with Boston on there (Vaughn...and two players if you think Clemens was using that far back, but he probably wasn't).

- From an excerpt I heard about Clemens, he was doing it before he was with the Yankees, so he could have been with the Sox (though it sounds like it was with Jays, and statistically that makes sense)

Anyway, there's certainly enough of a Sox presence on the list to make me feel that Mitchell was ethical. The inclusion of Varitek in particular says a lot to me. Plus, it shouldn't be a point of debate about which team got off the most, because it would silly for anyone to believe that their team is somehow "clean" based on how the team was mentioned in the report. It's become pretty clear that use of performance enhancers was extremely pervasive in baseball and that every team was likely loaded with players using stuff.

EDIT: Now that it's been revealed that BB's list is bogus, much of my hypotheticals above are officially hypothetical.

EDIT: According to a list posting by Ubiquitous elsewhere on the site, there are also these former Sox players mentioned in some context:

Brandon Donnelly
                      Mike Lansing
                      Kent Mercker
                      Mike Stanton

EDIT 2: Like Matt below, I did not see Varitek using a search.
                      Last edited by DoubleX; 12-13-2007, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I could not find Jason Varitek in the Mitchell Report using an Adobe Acrobat seach.

Also, the only mention of Nomar Garciaparra in the Mitchell Report was as part of a headline to an article used as a reference to a passage to Paul LoDuca writing a check to Kirk Radomski.

Manny Alexander is mentioned from when State Police found steroids in his SUV driven by a Fenway clubhouse attendant in 2000.

Comment

Yeah, everyone I've talked to has said that Varitek was not in the report, Our former CF'er was also not on the list.

Comment

Whew

Well, I'm relieved.

I'm not at all surprised about Mo Vaughn.
                            --Annie
                            Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                            Remember Yellowdog
                            ABNY

Comment

The "real" list I've seen doesn't really mention any big names that there haven't been a lot of rumors about.
                              Seems kind of anti-climactic, like Geraldo opening that vault and finding some beer bottles.
                              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X