Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Sox International scouting and signing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sox International scouting and signing.

This thread is for those who follow international scouting and the players that gets signed and ofcourse we are talking for the Red Sox.

In Latin America the signing phases consist in two phases the early phase which runs from July second and ends on August 31 and a phase that starts a few weeks later and ends at the of May. The early phase is where the tops prospects normally get signed and its also when organizations signs the 16 yrs prospects again this system only applies to latin America.

In 2007 signed the following prospects in the early phase and are listed in the ranking order.

Michael Almanzar SS 16 yrs 6-5 185 RH (from the Dominican Republic)
    Rafael Espinosa SS 16 yrs 5-10 160 RH (From the Dominican Republic)
    Israel Perez LHP 16 yrs 6-2 180 (from the Dominican Republic)
    Joantoni Garcia SS 16 yrs (from Venezuela)
    Roman Mendez RHP 16 yrs (From the Dominican Republic)
    Javier Gutierrez OF 16 yrs (from Venezuela)
    Lewis Urena SS 16 (From the Dominican Republic)
    Jesus Rojas C 17 yrs (from Venezuela)

Earlier the Sox signed Che-Hauang Lin CF 18 yrs (played in the GCL in 2007) and Chia-Chu Chen 18 yrs Catcher both from Taiwan, atthe begining of the year the Sox signed RHP Justin Eramus a 17 yrs six footer from Australia and in August a 18 yrs 6-5 RHP Jennel Hudson from Germany.

In the second phase of the Latin America signing period the Red Sox have signed.

Chris De la Rosa OF (from the Dominican Republic)

There are rumors that the Red Sox have signed Venezuelan catcher Leonel Escobar and RHPs Danny De Leon, Samuel Garcia and Alexander Mateo, but I haven't been able to comfirmed.
    Last edited by scaffolds; 12-28-2007, 07:59 AM.

Young, talented depth in the deep minors is never a bad thing. 1 or 2 of those guys might even have major league careers.

Comment

I have been able to confirm that the Red Sox have signed Venezuelan Catcher Leonel Escobar who is 17 yrs and Dominican right handers Samuel Garcia and Alexander Mateo both 17 yrs and RHP Danny De leon who is 18 yrs.

The latest Red Sox International signings are Dominican outfielder Felix Sanchez a switch hitting 17 yrs and Venezuelans RHPLuis Bastardo who is 17 yrs and SS Jackin Meneses who is 16 yrs.

Comment

Any scouting report on what these guys are/do yet? Or are they still just names on a sheet of paper?

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
          Any scouting report on what these guys are/do yet? Or are they still just names on a sheet of paper?
          First of all, most of this prospects would had be Juniors in the up coming baseball season if they where playing in American H.S.. which means they are very young. I have talk about about Almanzar before, specially in the Red Sox top 30 prospect thread. Short Stop Rafael Espinoza was the talk of the Red Sox Dominican academy this fall. As a 16 yrs LHP Israel Perez throws a fastball in the high 80's, Domican RHP Roman Mendez and Venezuelans SS Joantoni Garcia and Outfielder Javier Gutierrez are prospects to keep an eye in the 2008 DSL.

Comment

It's hard for me to really get into the international thing simply because most of them are so far away. Even if they break into the league when they've 22, which is early for someone on the Sox, they are 5 or 6 years away for most. I know it's a good thing that the Sox are after them, but I rarely get excited, because 1 in 100 turn out when they are signed at age 16. That's probabsly too young to know much of anything about them.

Comment

The fastball on that 16 year old is probably gonna increase, right? Any chance it hits the mid 90's?

Comment

Originally posted by Imgran View Post
                The fastball on that 16 year old is probably gonna increase, right? Any chance it hits the mid 90's?
                Perez is about 6-2 170, there's a good chance that when he fills out and with the right coaching he might.

Comment

The rumored top International prospects for the early International signing period are Venezuelan outfielder Yorman Rodriguez and Dominicans Esdra Abreu (outfieder) and RHP Michael Inoa. The rumors are that it will take well over the seven figures (dollars) each to Sign Rodriguez and Inoa.

Comment

Oscar Perez is one of the International prospect whose stock is on the rise for the July second the start of the International signing phase. Perez a 15 yrs Venezuelan catcher is at the Red Sox minor league complex for a 20 days look.

Comment

Originally posted by scaffolds View Post
                      Oscar Perez is one of the International prospect whose stock is on the rise for the July second the start of the International signing phase. Perez a 15 yrs Venezuelan catcher is at the Red Sox minor league complex for a 20 days look.
                      Crap I'm 15 years old, that's pretty young.

That 16 year old who threw high 80s...we have a fosh who has been consistently clocked 82-86 on a radar gun. He has an okay curveball. Do you think, if he develops okay, he would be looked at by scouts in a few years?

Comment

Originally posted by -Kyle- View Post

That 16 year old who threw high 80s...we have a fosh who has been consistently clocked 82-86 on a radar gun. He has an okay curveball. Do you think, if he develops okay, he would be looked at by scouts in a few years?

eh, I doubt it. I wouldn't get your hopes up. When I was 15, I was a catcher, and we had a pitcher, probably a mid 80's fastball, and an absolutely NASTY curveball, and he never made it anywhere. His curve was so good that he could throw it at a guy, and they would dive out of the way, and it would curve over the plate for a strike. It's REALLY HARD to get scouts to come look at you.
                        Last edited by Jager; 03-11-2008, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kyle- View Post

Oscar Perez will be 16 yrs (before the end of August) by the time he sign his profesional contract. As far of your friend scouts always keep tracks when a prospect in this case a pitcher throws a plus pitch as in this case a mid 80 fastball is considered a plus pitch for the age, the key of how much scouts will follow someone like your firend will be the projection that they see on him.

Comment

he's already in our farm system but what about mark wagner at catcher he looks solid and could come up big when varitek finally hangs up the spikes

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySoxFan19 View Post
                              he's already in our farm system but what about mark wagner at catcher he looks solid and could come up big when varitek finally hangs up the spikes
                              There's a thread about the Sox prospects, but Wagner future could depends on how he handles AA in 2008. The Sox catching prospects may have taken a hit, if the rumored retirement this morning of Jon Eagan its true.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X