No announcement yet.

BOSTON vs. NEW YORK '08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My personal thoughts on Ortiz are that his knee and shoulder were hurting all year, so when he swung it hurt, so instead of swinging as hard as he usually would, he cut down on the swing, which was the reason for 35 homers instead of 50. However I think the other thing that happened is that since he cut down on his swing and wasn't swinging for the fences so often his AVG went way up. That's not an uncommon thing for players. If you swing for the fences, you will miss more that if you just try to make contact.

I think I remember Ichiro saying that he thought he could hit 40 home runs if he really tried, but that's not his job, and he doesn't swing for power, he swings for contact. I just think that good hitters that have alot of power can cut down on their swing, and not swing for the fences so much, and therefore make alot more contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Westlake View Post
      I never said you did. But you were claiming it was a fluke -- which, if you actually look at everything in front of you -- it more than likely wasnt. Blindly looking at statistics will lead you to false conclusions a lot of the time.
      He did get better, there happy?

And my point with Manny is that because he has a lower OPS+ than usual (Sorry, I refuse to call a .296/.388/.493 a 'poor season') doesnt mean he's going to automatically continue to decline. And ive given you examples of this. Its just a generalization to say that every player that has a lesser season at that age is in a decline. Did Glavine keep declining after 2003? No. Did Sheffield after 2002? No. Did Parker after '83? Nope.
      Replace the word poor with down, as to Glavine I dunno how he does what he does, he's brilliant. Manny has also showed declining power (look at his TB/HR numbers) plus he's been getting nagged with injuries that come from wear and tear, it's not like he broke a leg or had anything out of the ordinary happen too him. As to Sheffield he also started training with Bonds around that time, his late career resurgance is up for debate.
      "he probably used some performance enhancing drugs so he could do a better job on his report...i hear they make you gain weight" - Dr. Zizmor

"I thought it was interesting and yes a conversation piece. Next time I post a similar story I will close with the question "So, do you think either of them have used steroids?" so that I can make the topic truly relevant to discussions about today's game." - Eric Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqul1GyK7-g

Comment

I've been doing my own Yankees/Red Sox comparison and I'll probably post it when I'm done as I've have the past few years. On the subject of Josh Beckett, I personally believe he's arrived. When the Sox first got him, I said on these boards that in order for Beckett to reach his potential and show he's for real, he's going to have to pitch a full season first, but that in doing so, he might struggle. That's exactly what he did in 2006. He crossed the 200 inning mark for the first time, and not surprisingly, he struggled in the second half. His arm never experienced the stress of pitching regularly for an entire season - even when he was missing time with the Marlins, it was usually for non-throwing arm injuries, so his arm was always rested when he came back. So 2006, while bumpy, was a very important growing year in Beckett's development. He unquestionably has the stuff, and 2006 gave him the conditioning and the mindset of pitching the entire season. I don't believe 2007 was an aberration and I think Beckett will be a perennial Cy Young contender. I'd still like to see him be more of a workhorse though.
        Last edited by DoubleX; 02-10-2008, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Short answer: Julian Tavarez is not a good pitcher.
          Indeed, certainly not a good starting pitcher.

--J.D.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
            I've been doing my own Yankees/Red Sox comparison and I'll probably post it when I'm done as I've have the past few years. On the subject of Josh Beckett, I personally believe he's arrived. When the Sox first got him, I said on these boards that in order for Beckett to reach his potential and show he's for real, he's going to have to pitch a full season first, but that in doing so, he might struggle. That's exactly what he did in 2006. He crossed the 200 inning mark for the first time, and not surprisingly, he struggled in the second half. His arm never experienced the stress of pitching regularly for an entire season - even when he was missing time with the Marlins, it was usually for non-throwing arm injuries, so his arm was always rested when he came back. So 2006, while bumpy, was a very important growing year in Beckett's development. He unquestionably has the stuff, and 2006 gave him the conditioning and the mindset of pitching the entire season. I don't believe 2007 was an aberration and I think Beckett will be a perennial Cy Young contender. I'd still like to see him be more of a workhorse though.
            I agree. If he can start throwing in the 230-240 IP range, that would be awesome. He probably could have gotten some more IP this past season (probably 5 to 7) had he not been blessed with good run support. If he can improve to 220 next season with around the same level of success, he's a bonafide ace.
            Originally posted by Domenic
            The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor X View Post
              Indeed, certainly not a good starting pitcher.

--J.D.
              maybe not but c'mon u have to admit he did toss a few pretty good games last year.

Comment

If losing Schilling was important, than the Sox would have gone out and signed Livian Hernandez (I'm surprised no one signed him sooner). Had the Sox gotten Hernandez, they would have had a consistent 200+ innings pitcher, who would have bought the farm system a yr., and whose W-L percentege was similar to Schill's. Remember in '05, Shill going down was "code red". Now, it's almost a non-issue.
                Trusted traders list-
                Mike D. Rockhound, MadHatter

2007 PawSox Dunkin Donuts set: 24/30.

Still need: Kevin Cash, Jacoby Ellsbury, George Kottaras, Jon Lester, Brandon Moss and Ed Rogers.

Comment

Schilling is important. It's an issue. I really doubt you would have said Schilling was unimportant before the injury. It's nice to try and see the bright side of things, but let's be realistic here.
                  Originally posted by Domenic
                  The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Schilling going down is definitely a blow and will change the dynamics of the Sox pitching staff. However, I think it was very likely anyway that Schilling would miss significant time this year and that the Sox would have to get a lot of innings from elsewhere. My guess before the shoulder injury came out is that Schilling might pitching 140-170 innings this year. So I'm sure the team thought of this as well and was ok with the contingency plans. The difference now is that the team was probably hoping Schilling would be able to start the season, thereby buying some time for Buchholz and others in the farm, so that's where Schilling's loss will probably be felt the most from a strategy standpoint. My guess is that the Sox will hope for someone like Pauley or Hansack to distinguish themselves this spring, and start the season with one of them (like the Yankees did last year with Darrel Rasner), or failing that, go to Tavarez again, rather than piling innings on Buchholz from the start.

On the whole though, I think the Sox rotation could have some innings issues this year, and thus I think signing Livan Hernandez would have made great sense. We already know the team will be cautious with Buchholz, but how many innings will Lester pitch? The post he's ever pitched in a season at any level was 148 in 2005 at AA. The team will likely need Beckett, Matsuzaka, and Wakefield all getting at least close to 200 IP. It would be huge if Beckett could step up and give say 230 (his career high is 205). After two years of 200, I think Beckett is ready to get to that next level. Matsuzaka will be interesting to watch as I think he could go either way this year.
                    Last edited by DoubleX; 02-17-2008, 07:23 AM.

Comment

i like the idea of adding livan. he's a solid starter capable of 10-15 wins and he can eat innings like i eat popcorn. but i have a better idea. the move that will forever change the red sox. we will sign the legendary BARRY ZITO

Comment

What are you talking about??? Zito is signed for another 6 years with the Giants. Yet another time I read a post of yours, and shook my head.

Comment

Chris, earlier you said you thought Schilling was going to be bad this season. Now missing him is going to hurt a lot?
                          Yes that will hurt us... We will miss some sure wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager View Post
                            What are you talking about??? Zito is signed for another 6 years with the Giants. Yet another time I read a post of yours, and shook my head.
                            u seriously didn't know that was a joke. zito legendary? please. only an idiot would actually be serious aboutn something like that. zito would get hammered in boston

Comment

Well you are.

--J.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor X View Post
                                Well you are.

--J.D.
                                whadda mean?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...