• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mo Vaughn inducted into Red Sox HOF!

Vaughn headlines 2008 Sox HOF class
    02/25/2008 5:09 PM ET
    By Mike Petraglia / Special to MLB.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Before Big Papi, there was Big Mo.
    And on Monday, the Red Sox announced Maurice Samuel Vaughn would headline the latest class of inductees into the club's Hall of Fame.

Joining Vaughn in the Class of 2008 are former teammate and left fielder Mike Greenwell, left-hander Bill Lee, right-handers Frank Sullivan and Wes Ferrell, shortstop Everett Scott, scout George Digby and former player development executive Ed Kenney Sr.

The chosen eight will be inducted for their outstanding contributions to the franchise, with the induction dinner scheduled for Friday, Nov. 7, at the Marriott Copley Hotel in Boston.

One of the most feared sluggers of his era, Vaughn captured the 1995 American League MVP and led the Red Sox to the AL East title that same season. He ranks sixth in club history with 230 homers in a Boston uniform. A homegrown talent that attended Seton Hall University, Vaughn played in Boston from 1991 through 1998. He signed after the '98 season with the Angels before finishing his injury-plagued career with the Mets in 2003.

Greenwell (1985-96) had a lifetime .303 batting average and played his entire big league career with the Red Sox, taking over the duties of playing in front of the Green Monster from Jim Rice. In his fourth season, Greenwell finished second to Jose Canseco in the 1988 AL MVP race.

One of the most colorful pitchers in franchise history, Lee will be inducted as record-holder for most games pitched by a left-hander (321) in team history and the third-highest win total (94) by a southpaw. He pitched in Boston between 1969 and 1978.

In addition, Ferrell (1934-37) and Scott (1914-21) were selected from the early years of the franchise.

Ferrell led the AL in wins (25) and complete games (31) in 1936, and he holds the Major League record for career homers by a pitcher with 38. Scott is the all-time Ironman in Red Sox history, playing in 832 consecutive games while taking part in three World Series championship teams (1915, '16 and '18).

The non-uniformed personnel entering the Hall of Fame are Digby and the late Kenney, who spent over 40 years as a club executive.

The 2008 inductees were selected by a committee comprised of Red Sox executives and broadcasters, media members and representatives of the New England Sports Museum and BoSox club.

The committee also selected its seventh Most Memorable Moment for Hall of Fame recognition: Ted Williams' home run in his final Major League at-bat on Sept. 28, 1960, versus the Baltimore Orioles at Fenway Park.

This is the seventh class of inductees selected since the Red Sox Hall of Fame was founded in 1995. Members have been added every other year beginning in 2000. This year's eight inductees bring membership in the club's most prestigious group to 52.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    I'm happy for him. The whole HGH thing maybe of tarnished his legacy, but from what I head, it doesn't taint what he did with the sox, as it was to treat his knees and ankles in NY, allegedly.

Could have found someone better to add in than Vaughn, just too soon and too much bagage that comes with him now.
    Best posts ever:
    Originally posted by nymdan
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Agreed -- not the best time.

Comment

So, what's the Red Sox Hall of Fame? Is this something fairly new? I know they retire numbers, but the requirements for that are VERY strict. Judging by the inductees to the HOF, it's far less stringent.

I agree the timing on Vaughn is a bit strange, but he was one heck of a player. I remember watching him from his days with the Pawsox (with fellow slugger Phil Plantier) and he was really something.

In the Mitchell report, it made it sound like Vaughn only used HGH at the end of his career, when he was attempting to come back from injuries. Maybe it's just splitting hairs, but I find "trying to save his career" a less offensive reason for use of a PED than "I wanted to get jacked and hit a ton of HR or throw 90 MPH". It's all bad, of course, but it seems less bad when it's used for rehab purposes.
        Visit my card site at Mike D's Baseball Card Page.

Comment

For some strange reason, I've got two sites claiming to be the Red Sox HoF. One is:

http://www.redsoxconnection.com/stories/halloffame.html

The other's from redsox.com, but which one is the official site?

The other:

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/his...ll_of_fame.jsp
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
          Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
          THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
          Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D. View Post
            So, what's the Red Sox Hall of Fame? Is this something fairly new? I know they retire numbers, but the requirements for that are VERY strict. Judging by the inductees to the HOF, it's far less stringent.

I agree the timing on Vaughn is a bit strange, but he was one heck of a player. I remember watching him from his days with the Pawsox (with fellow slugger Phil Plantier) and he was really something.

In the Mitchell report, it made it sound like Vaughn only used HGH at the end of his career, when he was attempting to come back from injuries. Maybe it's just splitting hairs, but I find "trying to save his career" a less offensive reason for use of a PED than "I wanted to get jacked and hit a ton of HR or throw 90 MPH". It's all bad, of course, but it seems less bad when it's used for rehab purposes.
            It's the team's version of Cooperstown, with the addition of including big moments in team history(Roberts' stolen base) and big contributors to the system that affected how the team would become(scouts, Minor League owners) etc.

Regarding Mo, he didn't leave under the best circumstances and burned a few bridges when he left. He wasn't bad towards Sox fans, but his departure for about as much money from a team that was a playoff team to a team that struggled during his time with them left a sour taste in the mouths of fans...his induction could have waited a few more years.
            Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly View Post
              For some strange reason, I've got two sites claiming to be the Red Sox HoF. One is:

http://www.redsoxconnection.com/stories/halloffame.html

The other's from redsox.com, but which one is the official site?

The other:

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/his...ll_of_fame.jsp
              The second one is the official one(it's the team's site after all). The first site just says the same thing as the second site except it includes pictures and some biographical information about the inductees.
              Best posts ever:

Comment

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                Regarding Mo, he didn't leave under the best circumstances and burned a few bridges when he left. He wasn't bad towards Sox fans, but his departure for about as much money from a team that was a playoff team to a team that struggled during his time with them left a sour taste in the mouths of fans...his induction could have waited a few more years.
                When Mo was in his walk year and the team didn't like his chances of resigning him, they started quite the slander campaign against him, as well. A sad chapter in Red Sox history, no doubt. Ah, the Duquette era, so glad that's over!

Comment

When Mo was in his walk year and the team didn't like his chances of resigning him, they started quite the slander campaign against him, as well. A sad chapter in Red Sox history, no doubt. Ah, the Duquette era, so glad that's over!
                  He didn't help the image much in his feud with Duquette, he could give as much as they gave...
                  Best posts ever:

Comment

He didn't help the image much in his feud with Duquette, he could give as much as they gave...
                    He didn't help himself, for sure...especially with his constant trips to a certain gentleman's club, but it's pretty bad when team exectutives take to blatently trying to make a player look bad in the media with the hope that it'll put public opinion on their side when they didn't resign him.

Comment

He didn't help himself, for sure...especially with his constant trips to a certain gentleman's club, but it's pretty bad when team exectutives take to blatently trying to make a player look bad in the media with the hope that it'll put public opinion on their side when they didn't resign him.
                      This hit a nerve in me that I've been harboring for the last 10 years about Vaughn. I don't like Duquette for his actions as he alone is responsible for the team's bad years from '00-'02 but I believe that he is getting way too much flak for what Vaughn did during '98 to himself

Every article and source I've found states that Vaughn was a malcontent that last year who was causing distraction after distraction about himself to try to embarrass the team into doing what he wanted. He was pissed at the team through the early part of the year for not "supporting" him after he crashed his car and that they asked him to undergo an alcohol evaluation. After that was over he was the one who refused all of the Red Sox's initial contract offers and made up the whole "mistreatment" claims that you are pouncing on. He rejected a three year deal, then a two year deal, both of which were at or above what he would eventually get with the Angels. He then stated outright in August that he would not return the next year- during a Wild Car race no less! They didn't offer him a contract in the off season until after others had offered theirs and he promptly chose the other team's contract, he could have come back but he chose to leave.

He may gave been a sweetheart to kids and been nice to fans but even the nicest fellows can be real jerks, especially when they act the way Vaughn did. To me he just does not belong in the Hall of Fame yet, he has to wait a few more years. They have plenty of others they could add to the Hall of Fame that belong that aren't in yet that would be a better fit than Vaughn, he should wait until others from his era(Nomar, Tek, Nixon, Wake, and Pedro etc.) are already in before he gets in.
                      Last edited by efin98; 02-27-2008, 12:41 AM.
                      Best posts ever:

Comment

I certainly agree that Vaughn could have waited to get into the Red Sox HOF. There are other players from this era who may be more deserving. He had some great years in Boston, but actually only played here for 8 years, and two of those were partial seasons toward the beginning of his career, and one was a strike-shorted year.

I also understand a lot of what you said about his behavior, but I think what made me annoyed with the team is that it appeared to be part of a trend in the teams "way of doing things". Boggs and Clemens were both treated similarly in their final year in Boston. It was almost like Duquette wanted all stars from "before his time" gone.

Comment

I certainly agree that Vaughn could have waited to get into the Red Sox HOF. There are other players from this era who may be more deserving. He had some great years in Boston, but actually only played here for 8 years, and two of those were partial seasons toward the beginning of his career, and one was a strike-shorted year.

I also understand a lot of what you said about his behavior, but I think what made me annoyed with the team is that it appeared to be part of a trend in the teams "way of doing things". Boggs and Clemens were both treated similarly in their final year in Boston. It was almost like Duquette wanted all stars from "before his time" gone.
                          Boggs was Lou Gorman's f-up, not Duquette's. He kept Vaughn around for as long as he could along with John Valentin, Mike Greenwell, and Tim Naehring(the heart of the '95 division winner). Those guys stayed around for a while under him, all of which contributed greatly to the team. The others on the team were a mix of overpriced free agents, over the hill stars, and cup of coffee minor leaguers. Add in the mix of guys that Jimy Williams(remember him???) demanded for his platoon system and you have the '90s Red Sox.

Insult him on the Clemens fiasco but also look at the big deals that he pulled off during his last three years: he signed Manny Ramirez to a long term deal and he signed Johnny Damon and Tim Wakefield. He traded for Pedro Martinez and for Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek.
                          Best posts ever:

Comment

Boggs was Lou Gorman's f-up, not Duquette's. He kept Vaughn around for as long as he could along with John Valentin, Mike Greenwell, and Tim Naehring(the heart of the '95 division winner). Those guys stayed around for a while under him, all of which contributed greatly to the team. The others on the team were a mix of overpriced free agents, over the hill stars, and cup of coffee minor leaguers. Add in the mix of guys that Jimy Williams(remember him???) demanded for his platoon system and you have the '90s Red Sox.

Insult him on the Clemens fiasco but also look at the big deals that he pulled off during his last three years: he signed Manny Ramirez to a long term deal and he signed Johnny Damon and Tim Wakefield. He traded for Pedro Martinez and for Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek.
                            That's right, Boggs was Gorman, not Duquette. Man...Gorman...when he retired, I remember they posted a list of every trade he'd ever made in the paper. I remember reading through the list and being like "wow, not only were NONE of these good, but most have no reasonable logic behind them".

Duquette was a much better trader, as you point out. He just had no clue when it came to personalities, both when dealing with the players and collecting a group of players. During his regime, it seemed like the clubhouse was always a mess, the team was openly fighting with it's players in the media, and there was no cohesion. He was like a fantasy league owner...just collecting talent. It's worth noting that he hasn't been hired anywhere else as a GM since his time in Boston.

I guess my point is that as much as people complain the the current ownership/management of the team isn't perfect, and I agree it's not, nothing is....this 31 year old fan is confident in saying it's the best Red Sox management of my lifetime, and perhaps ever! :cap:

Comment

It's worth noting that he hasn't been hired anywhere else as a GM since his time in Boston.
                              That may be true, but it is also worth noting that he is currently the director of baseball operations for the Israel Baseball League.
                              "As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places." - Bart Giamatti

You go through The Sporting News of the last 100 years and you will find two things are always true. You never have enough pitchers, and nobody ever made money.
                              -Don Fehr

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X