No announcement yet.

Your first Red Sox game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have seen the Bosox in Chicago or Milwaukee as a kid without remembering.
    I saw Clemens vs. Hough in Texas around 1990. I went with a non-fan and a cold front swept in during the game, plunging the temps from the 90s to the 60s. My friend was freezing and wanted to leave, despite the fact that the Rangers were leading a very tight 1-0 game. He said he'd wait in the car for me, and I felt bad and agreed to just leave. As I was watching from behind the stands while he stopped in the bathroom, Gedman hit a HR to tie the game in the 8th (?). My friend was not impressed by this development and we still left, listening to the end of the game on the radio in the car.
    My first game in Fenway was in 1997, and I don't remember any details. My most memorable games at Fenway are the 1999 "JAAAAARRRRRETTTTT" game and the one with Papi's first GW postseason HR against the Angels in 2004.

EDIT - found the ticket, first Fenway game was 6/30/96 vs. Detroit. I keep thinking I moved here in late '96, but it was actually late '95. It was a field box seat, one of the bad ones down the 1B line in section 12...face was $23, they cost $125 for this season.
    Last edited by hellborn; 03-04-2008, 07:36 AM.
    "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan View Post
      My first visit to the Fens was in 1983, a Sox/Yanks game. It was a school trip - we had the choice of going to a ball game or to see a performance of Pirates of Penzance. The decision was a no-brainer, of course.

But the thing is.... the school was too cheap to spring for even the then-cheap RF box seats, our group, consisting of about 20 13- and 14-year-old kids from the hills of Vermont, were stuck in the $2 bleacher seats - during a Sox/Yanks game. We got caught in the middle of a beer fight between Sox fans and Yankee fans, and the Sox lost the game. I don't know who won the beer fight.
      us of course. you really think sox fans would lose to yankee fans in anything. i wasn't there when this happened but i heard we heckled debbie clemens out of fenway once. she was crying and said sox fans bad attitudes were the reason we never won a series

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySoxFan19 View Post

us of course. you really think sox fans would lose to yankee fans in anything. i wasn't there when this happened but i heard we heckled debbie clemens out of fenway once. she was crying and said sox fans bad attitudes were the reason we never won a series
        See? There is a confirmation of Red Sox fans always behaving badly...

Comment

It was at Yankee Stadium on a rainy day in 2004. I LOVED it. The drunken interactions between the fans was nearly as fun as the thrill of being there.

Comment

Keep 'em coming guys. I love to read those stories.

Comment

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99905100.shtml

I was six years old, and my dad drove me up from Cape Cod, an hour and a half drive for a night game. The seats were in the last row along the first base line. Nomar knocked in ten runs, including three homers. Pat Rapp and Bret Hinchliffe started, though they didn't get out of the third inning. There was a large and vocal group of fans in the RF corner that shouted something whenever Jay Buhner came up to the plate and waved things in the air. Troy O'Leary and Nomar hit back-to-back homers. I don't remember much else, except telling my dad that Nomar could beat the Mariners by himself. Great experience for me, and that's a large part of what made me a baseball fan.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X