X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erik Bedard
    replied
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99905100.shtml

I was six years old, and my dad drove me up from Cape Cod, an hour and a half drive for a night game. The seats were in the last row along the first base line. Nomar knocked in ten runs, including three homers. Pat Rapp and Bret Hinchliffe started, though they didn't get out of the third inning. There was a large and vocal group of fans in the RF corner that shouted something whenever Jay Buhner came up to the plate and waved things in the air. Troy O'Leary and Nomar hit back-to-back homers. I don't remember much else, except telling my dad that Nomar could beat the Mariners by himself. Great experience for me, and that's a large part of what made me a baseball fan.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Keep 'em coming guys. I love to read those stories.

Leave a comment:

• Bosoxd212
    replied
    It was at Yankee Stadium on a rainy day in 2004. I LOVED it. The drunken interactions between the fans was nearly as fun as the thrill of being there.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by JerseySoxFan19 View Post

us of course. you really think sox fans would lose to yankee fans in anything. i wasn't there when this happened but i heard we heckled debbie clemens out of fenway once. she was crying and said sox fans bad attitudes were the reason we never won a series
    See? There is a confirmation of Red Sox fans always behaving badly...

Leave a comment:

• JerseySoxFan19
    replied
    Originally posted by VTSoxFan View Post
    My first visit to the Fens was in 1983, a Sox/Yanks game. It was a school trip - we had the choice of going to a ball game or to see a performance of Pirates of Penzance. The decision was a no-brainer, of course.

But the thing is.... the school was too cheap to spring for even the then-cheap RF box seats, our group, consisting of about 20 13- and 14-year-old kids from the hills of Vermont, were stuck in the $2 bleacher seats - during a Sox/Yanks game. We got caught in the middle of a beer fight between Sox fans and Yankee fans, and the Sox lost the game. I don't know who won the beer fight.
    us of course. you really think sox fans would lose to yankee fans in anything. i wasn't there when this happened but i heard we heckled debbie clemens out of fenway once. she was crying and said sox fans bad attitudes were the reason we never won a series

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    I may have seen the Bosox in Chicago or Milwaukee as a kid without remembering.
    I saw Clemens vs. Hough in Texas around 1990. I went with a non-fan and a cold front swept in during the game, plunging the temps from the 90s to the 60s. My friend was freezing and wanted to leave, despite the fact that the Rangers were leading a very tight 1-0 game. He said he'd wait in the car for me, and I felt bad and agreed to just leave. As I was watching from behind the stands while he stopped in the bathroom, Gedman hit a HR to tie the game in the 8th (?). My friend was not impressed by this development and we still left, listening to the end of the game on the radio in the car.
    My first game in Fenway was in 1997, and I don't remember any details. My most memorable games at Fenway are the 1999 "JAAAAARRRRRETTTTT" game and the one with Papi's first GW postseason HR against the Angels in 2004.

EDIT - found the ticket, first Fenway game was 6/30/96 vs. Detroit. I keep thinking I moved here in late '96, but it was actually late '95. It was a field box seat, one of the bad ones down the 1B line in section 12...face was $23, they cost $125 for this season.
    Last edited by hellborn; 03-04-2008, 07:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• VTSoxFan
    replied
    My first visit to the Fens was in 1983, a Sox/Yanks game. It was a school trip - we had the choice of going to a ball game or to see a performance of Pirates of Penzance. The decision was a no-brainer, of course.

But the thing is.... the school was too cheap to spring for even the then-cheap RF box seats, our group, consisting of about 20 13- and 14-year-old kids from the hills of Vermont, were stuck in the $2 bleacher seats - during a Sox/Yanks game. We got caught in the middle of a beer fight between Sox fans and Yankee fans, and the Sox lost the game. I don't know who won the beer fight.

Leave a comment:

• Westlake
    replied
    Originally posted by JerseySoxFan19 View Post
    ha that's wierd u become a sox fan right after they got hammered by minnesota
    Haha yeah, it is kind of weird. But Nomar went 3-4, homered, stole a base, and made some great plays in the field. He became my favorite player.

Too bad for my favorite player before him -- Shane Mack.

Leave a comment:

• JerseySoxFan19
    replied
    Originally posted by Westlake View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99705160.shtml

May 16th, 1997 at the Metrodome

I wasn't a Sox fan until that day.
    ha that's wierd u become a sox fan right after they got hammered by minnesota

Leave a comment:

• Westlake
    replied
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99705160.shtml

May 16th, 1997 at the Metrodome

I wasn't a Sox fan until that day.

Leave a comment:

• efin98
    replied
    The first one I remember was the Sox vs. the Blue Jays back in '90 during the stretch run into the playoffs...standing room only tickets, not too fun when you are only seven and had the attention span of a gnat.

Leave a comment:

• runningshoes
    replied
    The first baseball game I attended was on May 22, 1978.

The Red Sox beat the Jays, 5-4 at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto.

Yaz and Rice both hit home runs.

Leave a comment:

• -Kyle-
    replied
    I was four. We were in grandstand and (my dad told me) I took a bag of peanuts, turned by back to the game, and used the chair as a table with a bunch of napkins as table cloth. Don't remember it all though.

Leave a comment:

• KingNothing13
    replied
    This is the first game I ever went to:

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...300BOS1983.htm

I was 8 at the time.

Hey, at least I got to see Yaz play. And Fisk, even though he was on the wrong team!

Leave a comment:

• JerseySoxFan19
    replied
    my first sox game was in philly in 05 during interleague, it was wells pitching and the thing i remember was there was some wasted chick who was rooting for philly and u could tell she was screwed up. we figured out her name was rachel and we started chanting sit down rachel sit down rachel, and she got pissed. let me tell you she was off the wall swearing screaming at us. and her boyfriend kept trying to back her off when security came. i don't know what went through my mind but when park security was taking her out i just shouted at the top of my lungs (remember i was no more than 10 at the time)"F*** YOU!!!!!!!!!!" and i remember the croud going nuts and it felt good they were cheering for me. she just flipped us all off and left to the sound of us chanting "Good bye rachel!" after the game 2 old ladies wanted to give me five. i'll never forget that day and yes it''s a true story

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X