Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urbanshocker13
    replied
    I doubt it will ever get as bad as hooliganism of Eroupean football, but this stupid 10 against 1 violence for no good reason screws up everything. It's like in the Hardcore/Punk rock scene there is crews (ironically one from Boston, but they are also in Upstate New York, Jersey and every where now) that jump and beat up people for stupid reasons if there is one at all. It gives the music & the scene a horrible names, kills shows and makes thing all messed up. All this is just dumb excuses for violence, which leads to nothing good.

Leave a comment:

• stejay
    replied
    That is sad and stupid. I have never encountered a Yankees fan or Red Sox fan who would do that.

Leave a comment:

• Pere
    replied
    Originally posted by brushback View Post
    Every city and every team in every sport has its own special brand of idiots. Not too much you can do about it.
    Well, it is true that some cities are worse than others. Some fan cultures have more tolerance for belligerent behavior than others.

You can help elevate your fan culture by calling security yourself if you observe if you observe mookish "fans" of your team crossing the line of acceptable behavior (or, depending on circumstances, you can say something to the offenders before it goes that far). Do you want yourself and your team to be judged by their behavior?

Leave a comment:

• Pere
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
    I think it goes without saying that if you're a fan of the other team in the rivalry, you can be in for a tough time at the other team's stadium. ... I should note that I've also had some very fun experiences at Fenway with Red Sox fans, particularly in the bleachers. Of course, there's a caveat - they're very drunk and I don't let on that I'm a Yankees fan.

And in conclusion, I think we should all be thankful that we're not Philly fans - now those guys have a reputation. I was down at a party in south Jersey the other night, and some of the stories I heard about going to games in Philly, particular if you're sporting gear of the other team, are horrendous.
    Well, there's "tough times" and then there's tough times. A certain level of essentially good-natured "hostilities" for another team and their fans is one thing. Obscenity and physical intimidation--let alone actual violence--is entirely different.

I've been in many, many ballparks in opposing-team colors, and I've never been threatened myself, but I did have a brief moment of concern once when my daughter was insulted by Yankee fans for wearing a Braves cap (the Braves were beating the Yanks at the time)... let's just say it was a good thing for all concerned that they backed off. I'm an easygoing guy, but do not threaten my kids.

On the other hand, my last experience wearing Braves gear in Philly was pretty fun. A couple Philly fans and I spent much of the game exchanging derision for each other's teams--sort of alternating heckles, directed at the teams but actually responding to each other--and when it was over we actually shook hands and wished each other well. During the same game, a young guy in Philly colors (facepaint and all) spotted us and did a sort of dance of rage, hopping back and forth and screaming "Get out of Philadelphia!" at our group. We were just cracking up. Philly fans around us enjoyed it too, and eventually the kid went on his way.

Maybe if it had been an Eagles game, the experience would have been different, but I don't go to football games.

Everybody should be able to wear whatever cap they like to any game they attend and not feel that they're taking a physical risk. On the other hand, if you are a visiting-team fan, you should remember where you are, and don't be a jerk about it.

Leave a comment:

• JerseySoxFan19
    replied
    Unforunetly that's true. What ever happened to abusive heckling?

Leave a comment:

• brushback
    replied
    Every city and every team in every sport has its own special brand of idiots. Not too much you can do about it.

Leave a comment:

• riredsox
    replied
    Here's one thing Sox and Yanks fans can agree on-every team has fans that get way too involed. Each team also has nice, sensible fans, who realize that the world is bigger than a ball field. To get off baseball-I remwmber after the NE Pats beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl, there were Eagles fans burning cars and starting riots because of it.

Leave a comment:

• JerseySoxFan19
    replied
    yeah its rough going into your rivals stadium. there'sa vid up on youtube that shows a sox fan walking through yankee stadium and all you here is "A-HOLE!!"

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by sharrock View Post
    Some people are prone to violence and ramp themselves up as a thrill. Sports, especially a heated rivalry, is one way to do that. Its stupid, yes. But it actually has little or nothing to do with the sporting event. In Hellborn's story, those guys could have been anywhere. Mix alcohol with some lousy dudes... and you get that type of crap.

For my part, some of my favorite times are giving and getting ribbing from fans of other teams. A good heated rant exchanged between fans can be a positive experience at the ballpark as long as everyone knows the baseball and keeps it good-natured. That means the kids around shouldnt have to have their ears covered and that everyone keeps in mind the most important thing: We Are Both Baseball Fans! So we have a lot in common already.

One good thing about going to games in Texas is that there are some Ranger fans who know baseball and you can have good conversations. Some times its passionate enough to be a lot of fun. One of the best times was in the 2004 season when Ranger fans chanted 1918 to a section of us Red Sox fans. It was, of course, later that Fall that I smiled so broadly about that chant.

Anyway, the point is, bad people are sports fans too. I always figure the guy wearing a NY cap deserves a ribbing at a baseball game. Same as I deserve it wearing my Sox cap. But that should be part of the enjoyment of the game. Baseball is, after all, the talking sport.
    That is what baseball should be all about.

Too bad that both Yankee fans and Red Sox fans can't go in their opponent's stadium wearing their favorite team's cap, without getting into trouble.

I'd love to see a game in Fenway one day. But that would mean that I have to leave my Yankee cap at home... Too bad, no game at Fenway then.

Leave a comment:

• JerseySoxFan19
    replied
    Originally posted by sharrock View Post
    Some people are prone to violence and ramp themselves up as a thrill. Sports, especially a heated rivalry, is one way to do that. Its stupid, yes. But it actually has little or nothing to do with the sporting event. In Hellborn's story, those guys could have been anywhere. Mix alcohol with some lousy dudes... and you get that type of crap.

For my part, some of my favorite times are giving and getting ribbing from fans of other teams. A good heated rant exchanged between fans can be a positive experience at the ballpark as long as everyone knows the baseball and keeps it good-natured. That means the kids around shouldnt have to have their ears covered and that everyone keeps in mind the most important thing: We Are Both Baseball Fans! So we have a lot in common already.

One good thing about going to games in Texas is that there are some Ranger fans who know baseball and you can have good conversations. Some times its passionate enough to be a lot of fun. One of the best times was in the 2004 season when Ranger fans chanted 1918 to a section of us Red Sox fans. It was, of course, later that Fall that I smiled so broadly about that chant.

Anyway, the point is, bad people are sports fans too. I always figure the guy wearing a NY cap deserves a ribbing at a baseball game. Same as I deserve it wearing my Sox cap. But that should be part of the enjoyment of the game. Baseball is, after all, the talking sport.
    i agree with everything you just said. everyone likes to have a little fun with the people sitting around them that's baseball just don't go swearing and massacre the guy outside the ballpark

Leave a comment:

• sharrock
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Imgran
    replied
    Bloody cowards. If you have to be a baseball pugilist, at least have the stones to take 'em one to one.

Leave a comment:

• JerseySoxFan19
    replied
    Originally posted by runningshoes View Post
    One would hope you wouldn't do that because you know it is wrong, not because it makes us all look bad.
    that too comes into play

Leave a comment:

• JerseySoxFan19
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
    They probably were looking for a fight. You get the same vileness at both Yankee Stadium and Fenway when it comes to fans of the opposing team. I just found it interesting that when the initial attention was on a couple of moronic fans that beat up a Yankee fan, people turn around and point to their negative experiences with Yankee fans, as if to say, "look, they're bad too." I think it goes without saying that if you're a fan of the other team in the rivalry, you can be in for a tough time at the other team's stadium. It was like some of you got defensive about this, and you shouldn't have - these guys were obviously morons, going beyond the typical crap you see, and you shouldn't take it personally. It unfortunately happens on occasion, and we all have to live with the fact that we support two teams that have a lot of moronic and belligerent fans.

I should note that I've also had some very fun experiences at Fenway with Red Sox fans, particularly in the bleachers. Of course, there's a caveat - they're very drunk and I don't let on that I'm a Yankees fan.

And in conclusion, I think we should all be thankful that we're not Philly fans - now those guys have a reputation. I was down at a party in south Jersey the other night, and some of the stories I heard about going to games in Philly, particular if you're sporting gear of the other team, are horrendous.
    yeah i was unlucky enough to meet one of those jerk phillie fans. just check the first sox game thread

Leave a comment:

• runningshoes
    replied
    Originally posted by JerseySoxFan19 View Post
    i admit i know a few yankee fans who i'd love to beat up but i'm not going to because it gives us all a bad name
    One would hope you wouldn't do that because you know it is wrong, not because it makes us all look bad.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X