Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beckett is having a problem with his back

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...eaks_his_back/
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

i just hope its nothing serious. we need beckett if we plan to take the division again

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySoxFan19 View Post
      i just hope its nothing serious. we need beckett if we plan to take the division again
      IMO you can't plan to take the division...

Comment

u know what i mean. how about want is that better mr. grammar police?

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySoxFan19 View Post
          u know what i mean. how about want is that better mr. grammar police?
          He is right, you plan to win the World Series not just to take the division.
          Best posts ever:
          Originally posted by nymdan
          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Originally posted by efin98 View Post
            He is right, you plan to win the World Series not just to take the division.
            You can want to win the division/WS. But planning it? It depends on so many factors. Injuries for example. You can not plan that.

If you would say: "The Red Sox are favorite to take the division again", I would agree. But planning?

And BTW, I am no grammar police, because my English is far from perfect.
            Last edited by Yankeebiscuitfan; 03-09-2008, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
              You can want to win the division/WS. But planning it? It depends on so many factors. Injuries for example. You can not plan that.

If you would say: "The Red Sox are favorite to take the division again", I would agree. But planning?

And BTW, I am no grammar police, because my English is far from perfect.
              It's their plan to win the World Series. Doesn't mean it will be a successful plan. If you want to be more exact, it's this team, just about every other team in MLB, goal to win the World Series. Instead of using the word plan, you could use the word plan.

Though, I known what they were trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Evangelion View Post
                It's their plan to win the World Series. Doesn't mean it will be a successful plan. If you want to be more exact, it's this team, just about every other team in MLB, goal to win the World Series. Instead of using the word plan, you could use the word plan.

Though, I known what they were trying to say.
                Sure. I understand them too. But using the word plan seems a bit odd to me.

Comment

lets stay on topic please...Beckett's health is of major concern if you ask me. As the days go by, our starting rotation looks pretty bad. We will see after April what it is like though.

Comment

Personally I don't see this as a big deal as of right now. It's only March, and the season hasn't started, so as of now he's not missing any games that count. We'll see about everything though. Even if Beckett misses the first month of the season, it's not that bad really. Sure we'll miss him, but we can survive, as long as this isn't a nagging injury that hurts him all year. If he can just get healthy, it doesn't matter that much in the big scheme if he misses a few starts. Obviously we don't have anyone to step in and replace him, but if he's out for a few starts, we should be alright. With that said, I am getting a little nervous just because our pitching went from one of the best in the majors to a big question mark. Beckett's injured, but for how long? Schilling will likely miss the season, Wake had troubles last year even though he still managed 189 innings, Lester has never pitched a full season, and has looked mediocre this spring, Buchholz hasn't pitched a full season, and hasn't looked good. We have some decent guys that can fill in like Hansack, Pauley, possibly Colon if he's healthy and effective, and it's a possibility that Masterson could be ready sometime this year. So it's not the end of the world, but I can't lie and say that I'm comfortable with where we are either.

Comment

Originally posted by Jager View Post
                      Personally I don't see this as a big deal as of right now. It's only March, and the season hasn't started, so as of now he's not missing any games that count. We'll see about everything though. Even if Beckett misses the first month of the season, it's not that bad really. Sure we'll miss him, but we can survive, as long as this isn't a nagging injury that hurts him all year. If he can just get healthy, it doesn't matter that much in the big scheme if he misses a few starts. Obviously we don't have anyone to step in and replace him, but if he's out for a few starts, we should be alright. With that said, I am getting a little nervous just because our pitching went from one of the best in the majors to a big question mark. Beckett's injured, but for how long? Schilling will likely miss the season, Wake had troubles last year even though he still managed 189 innings, Lester has never pitched a full season, and has looked mediocre this spring, Buchholz hasn't pitched a full season, and hasn't looked good. We have some decent guys that can fill in like Hansack, Pauley, possibly Colon if he's healthy and effective, and it's a possibility that Masterson could be ready sometime this year. So it's not the end of the world, but I can't lie and say that I'm comfortable with where we are either.
                      Last year the Yanees played the first month of the season with a patchwork rotation featuring guys like Kei Igawa, Darrell Rasner, Jeff Karstens, and Chase Wright getting starts, and it wasn't pretty and was a big part of the Yankees terrible start last year. However, the Sox are in a better position to absorb losses than the Yankees were. With Schilling and perhaps Beckett out for the first month, the team should still be able to cobble together a decent rotation with Matsuzaka, Wakefield, Lester, and Buchholz. Is it ideal or what the team had hoped heading into the season? Of course not, but things happen, and I think the Sox pitching should be able to hold up for a few weeks should Beckett miss some time. There was a period last year when both Beckett and Schilling were out, wasn't there?

Comment

A coworker was just down at Bosox spring training, and reports that Beckett got into his car VERY tenderly on Friday when he was leaving. Like your Uncle Lou when his lumbago is killing him.
                        I did not like hearing that!!
                        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                          A coworker was just down at Bosox spring training, and reports that Beckett got into his car VERY tenderly on Friday when he was leaving. Like your Uncle Lou when his lumbago is killing him.
                          I did not like hearing that!!
                          Sounds good for non Red Sox fans.

What I mean to say here is that the Sox may not be as dominant as everybody is expecting. And of course that is good news for anybody who is not a Red Sox fan. It makes the league a bit more interesting.

But as a Red Sox fan this is the worst possible news that you can hear.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX View Post
                            Last year the Yanees played the first month of the season with a patchwork rotation featuring guys like Kei Igawa, Darrell Rasner, Jeff Karstens, and Chase Wright getting starts, and it wasn't pretty and was a big part of the Yankees terrible start last year. However, the Sox are in a better position to absorb losses than the Yankees were. With Schilling and perhaps Beckett out for the first month, the team should still be able to cobble together a decent rotation with Matsuzaka, Wakefield, Lester, and Buchholz. Is it ideal or what the team had hoped heading into the season? Of course not, but things happen, and I think the Sox pitching should be able to hold up for a few weeks should Beckett miss some time. There was a period last year when both Beckett and Schilling were out, wasn't there?
                            i think the Yankees can get away with not having great pitching because their offense is stacked. We will have to see how the Sox line-up swings the bats at the start. It is a long season though.

Comment

So who starts in Japan now? No way Beckett's back from this if it's any kind of serious.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X