Is Boomer back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Boomer back?

I've just read on bostondirtdogs.com that it looks like Boomer is staying in Boston for likely his last year. I'm happy about this because I like the guy, he does well at Fenway, and he helped the BoSox out last year.
    Back to being underdogs

Wells is basically the only legit left hand starter we have. So, it's good thing that he's staying in Boston and in the rotation. He was solid last season for us, so I'm glad to see him back in Boston.

Comment

The Hartford Courant has an article about that today. Boomer is resigned to finishing his contract obligations before retiring at the end of the season. With that hanging out there, it's unlikely he'll be relocating to another team mid-season. I'd like to see him finish with a respectable set of numbers and a positive vibe for Boston (and vice-versa). I don't get all warm and fuzzy when he's on the mound, but if he puts in a solid effort in his final year in the bigs, I'll be glad to give him his due.

2007 World Series Champions
      The Boston Red Sox

Comment

He may not have given the team a prospect or two but he gives the team a solid lefty.

So with him in the rotation it's potentially Wells, Becket, Schilling, Clement, Arroyo, Papelbon and Wakefield. If/when one goes down there's another to replace him. Not bad, not bad at all.
        Best posts ever:
        Originally posted by nymdan
        Too... much... math... head... hurts...
        Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

I'm ok with it, too. He's a solid lefty, in or out of the starting rotation.
          I also have to admit that I started to like Wells a bit more this past season.
          Never thought that would happen.
          "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

man am I glad boomer is back..
            he can definitely help our starting rotation..

throw arroyo in the bullpen along with Papelbon
            twitter.com/NewEnglandFans

Comment

Im glad we didnt just throw away a 15 game winner this offseason. Boomer will be a plus to the wicked deep rotation. But with Wells in the rotation papelbon has less of a chance being a starter. I was kinda looking foward to see how papelbon would fair as a regular starter. I cant complain though cause Wells is a very good pitcher and has become one of my favorites.
              go sox.

Pigskin-Fever

Comment

That Boomer is staying in Boston is strange, because I heard him on the radio in San Diego state that he hated living in Boston and that he'd rather retire than go through another season there. That was said on the Padres affiliate, so maybe he was sort of speaking to Kevin Towers indirectly. But I ultimately think that when the Pads wouldn't go for him Boomer decided he'd rather not lose his salary!

KH14
                “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

David Wells bothers me, and this goes back to when he was on the Orioles in the mid 90s. He just needs to shut up sometimes and realize that a lot of the things he complains about are derived from his own actions. The guy takes his body and his god-given talent for granted - it's amazing what he's been able to accomplish with the way he treats his body. He should feel fortunate that he's been able to get this far. Can you imagine what someone with his talent could have done if they actually cared about their body and putting in the work effort? Also, he's complaining about his situation, well again that's a result of his own choices. He chose the Sox for two years, so he should stick it out. In some ways it could be Karma coming back to get him. Like before the '02 season, he spurned a team (I wish I could remember who) with which he had an preliminary agreement in place only to sign with the Yankees out of the blue. Then after the '03 season, he did the same thing to the Yankees when he spurned them after a preliminary agreement had been reached to go pitch for the Padres. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same thing to the Padres after the '04 season when he upped and left to sign with the Red Sox.

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14
                    That Boomer is staying in Boston is strange, because I heard him on the radio in San Diego state that he hated living in Boston and that he'd rather retire than go through another season there. That was said on the Padres affiliate, so maybe he was sort of speaking to Kevin Towers indirectly. But I ultimately think that when the Pads wouldn't go for him Boomer decided he'd rather not lose his salary!

KH14
                    He seems to say whatever some fanboys wanna hear. As a Yankee, he talked about blowing up Fenway. As a Red Sock, he talkeda bout hating Yankee fans. When he was with the Padres between those stints, he complained that Torre and Stottlemyre (NYY pitch coach) shouldn't have expected him to fulfill some "weight clause" in his contract.

I'm surprised he hasn't made a stink about collecting upon incentives in his contract.

Excellent pitcher, very durable, would've won a lot more than 200+ games if he'd kept himself in tip-top shape. Still, he is what he is, so just point him out to the mound every 5th day and grab the earmuffs the other 4 days.
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I've actually gotten a kick out of him a few times.
                      Hypocritical? Yup. Loudmouth? Definitely.
                      He's also pretty funny at times.
                      "Anything less would not have been worthy of me. Anything more would not have been possible." - Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by yankeekiller34BigPapi
                        I've just read on bostondirtdogs.com that it looks like Boomer is staying in Boston for likely his last year. I'm happy about this because I like the guy, he does well at Fenway, and he helped the BoSox out last year.
                        He might not still be in Boston after the Trade Deadline since Starting SS and major offseason bust Alex Gonzalez is not fairing to well in ST and Boomer will probably be used as trade bait for a NEW SS

Comment

The latest is that Wells called Francona an idiot in an interview recently. Apparently he wasn't satisfied with Tito's logic about setting the rotation and making Schilling the #1. Same old Boomer. Maybe he's trying to provoke a trade.

2007 World Series Champions
                          The Boston Red Sox

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
                            The latest is that Wells called Francona an idiot in an interview recently. Apparently he wasn't satisfied with Tito's logic about setting the rotation and making Schilling the #1. Same old Boomer. Maybe he's trying to provoke a trade.
                            Does Wells think he should be the #1? Wells should consider himself lucky that he's still able to make it as a pro, considering his age, his back, and how he took his body and gifts for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon
                              See now, that's not funny. He should feel fortunate to be #12 in our starting rotation at this point.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X