Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst Red Sox reliever in the past 18 years?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst Red Sox reliever in the past 18 years?

Which Beantown reliever did you think was the worst within the past 18 years (1990-2008). For me, it is obviously Eric Gagné (2007 season). We traded two promising rookies (both of which are doing really well) and somebody else. What does "Game Over" do for the Sox?

He ends up blowing saves left and right. Just four years ago he had like 50 saves, and he last season, almost single-handedly gave the AL East title to the Yankees.

Which Red Sox reliever had you (and others) nervous because of his nature of blowing saves and eventually losing the game?

Probably Gagne. When he got up in the pen during the World Series and all of a sudden, immediately after FOX shows him warming, the Emergency Broadcast Warning System test thing came on. If I've ever seen some sort of sign from a higher power, that was it. Luckily, Francona didn't bring him in.

Comment

Heathcliff Slocumb?

Eric Gagne?

Javier Lopez?

Comment

The olny way GAGne got those saves was w/ a little help from the juice. If he hadn't, he might not have even made it out of the minors.
        Trusted traders list-
        Mike D. Rockhound, MadHatter

2007 PawSox Dunkin Donuts set: 24/30.

Still need: Kevin Cash, Jacoby Ellsbury, George Kottaras, Jon Lester, Brandon Moss and Ed Rogers.

Comment

It's easy to say Gagne, but I don't think it's him. In fact, not by a long shot. For me it has to be Rudy Seanez. He was with us in 04 I think, after having a ERA in the 2's the year before, and he pitched so bad he was DFA'd by midseason. Then in 05 he pitched for the Padre's I think, and had an ERA around 2 again. We signed him in 06, and he pitched so terribly that we DFA'd him again. haha. It has to be him. Not only did he pitched really good, and then come to Boston and suck, he did it twice. lol. Gagne was terrible, but for me it's Seanez.

Comment

I go WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to the dark days of....

We used to yell in the bleachers "Sit down Romo! It ain't going to get that bad!"
            sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

What about John Wasdin and Ramiro Mendoza (the embedded Yankee)?
              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Romo wasn't all that bad. He was more or less the Julian Tavarez of his era. A way below average guy whose saving grace was that he could eat an inning or two.

Speaking of the -ez brothers, the worst reliever in recent modern history is Rudy Seanez. How bad do you have to be to be released in the middle of one of the worst pitching injury epidemics of recent Boston history?
                Last edited by Imgran; 04-14-2008, 07:51 AM.

Comment

John 'Way Back' Wasdin was horrible. The stats do not reflect how lost the guy was. On his best day he had mediocre AAA stuff that always found either too much of the plate or wasnt close to the plate. Batters eyes would light up when that 87 mph dead-straight fastball would roll up there.

One of my favorite games was when he actually started for the Rockies. In Coors Field. I sat on my couch wondering what the heck the Rockies were thinking. When your team starts Wasdin, you might as well forfeit.

Comment

Heathcliff Slocumb
                    Check out My Sox site > http://thirdbasesaloon.freeforums.org
                    http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...3rdbasesig.jpg

Comment

I think Mark Clear in 1983 would hold this dubious distinction.
                      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
                        I think Mark Clear in 1983 would hold this dubious distinction.
                        If this were 2001, possibly.
                        Originally posted by Domenic
                        The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Originally posted by ROYAL ROOTERS View Post
                          Heathcliff Slocumb
                          Slocumb didn't do that well as a pitcher, but he was traded for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe, so we did pretty well in having him.

Comment

Originally posted by DickZ View Post
                            Slocumb didn't do that well as a pitcher, but he was traded for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe, so we did pretty well in having him.
                            Slocumb was terrible, and the fact that Seattle traded us Veritek and Lowe, and what we got out of them, makes that deal downright laughable
                            Check out My Sox site > http://thirdbasesaloon.freeforums.org
                            http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...3rdbasesig.jpg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X