Ortiz and his slump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ortiz and his slump...

Why is everyone freaking out about Ortiz's slump? I don't get it. He's in a slump, everyone goes through one eventually. He is too good of a hitter to be this horrible all season. The media needs to lay off... Does anyone else agree? Boston Dirt Dogs has been rippin' him lately. I don't agree with it. Sooner or later the guy is going to be hitting bombs.
    twitter.com/NewEnglandFans

I just hope that the knee isn't bothering him. He already mentioned that he didn't get to work out like he wanted in the offseason because of the surgery.
    I certainly don't think that Ortiz forgot how to hit, but just worry that he might be hurting and not letting on. At this point, it's just a slump...didn't Jeter for 0-30 or something crazy like that at the start a few seasons ago?
    "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

While I do not understand making it a personal thing against Papi (Dirt Dogs using this tactic to keep readership up)....

This is not jus ta slump but a deep, ugly slump. Its been tough to watch. Francona, smartly, realizes that Papi has taken some of this to heart as he works so hard to help this team win. The slump itself is a big story, but the tone could be better.

Soon enough we'll see that big smile as he crushes the ball into the night sky.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardLikeWhoa View Post
        Why is everyone freaking out about Ortiz's slump? I don't get it. He's in a slump, everyone goes through one eventually. He is too good of a hitter to be this horrible all season. The media needs to lay off... Does anyone else agree? ....
        Lots of us seem to be the happiest when we can find someone to whine about, whether it's Big Papi, Manny, Theo, Tito, Timlin, Lugo, Drew, Varitek, Wakefield, Beckett, DiceK, Shilling, Buchholz, Delcarmen, Lowell, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Crisp, Tavarez, Lopez, Papelbon, or the Fenway Frank vendors. Casey hasn't been here long enough, but he'll soon join the list.

The only way to stay off the list is to put in a stellar performance every inning of every game. If someone hits a grand slam in each of three times at bat, but hits into a double play the fourth time at the plate, guess what gets discussed more.
        Last edited by DickZ; 04-14-2008, 01:37 PM.

Comment

What makes this serious is that occasionally a great player just ceases to be one.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

I'm just worried about the fans getting on him. Luckily they're on the road, but if he's still not himself when they get back, he better not be getting booed.

Comment

It's kind of reminiscent of a few years ago when Jeter was batting under.200 as late as May 25th. He bounced back though and ended up finishing at .292. Slumps happen even to the best of players. Assuming Ortiz is health, things will pick up, likely sooner than later.

Comment

I think that anybody who boos Papi in Fenway is going to get a serious beer shower!!!
                "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Of all things, it was the Yankee stadium jersey. Instead of cursing the Yankees it gave Papi Yankee-style clutch-suckitude!

2 last night after Hank gets the jersey out of his stadium. Papi's on his way back. He goes deep tonight.

Next time, bury a jersey from a player who isn't active, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn View Post
                    I think that anybody who boos Papi in Fenway is going to get a serious beer shower!!!
                    I agree with hellborn - the fans in Fenway are pretty free with their booing, but anybody who booed Big Papi at this early stage of a possible slump would get battered by the fans who appreciate what he's done over the years.

Comment

Hit the grand salami tonight vs. Texas. First pitch hitting, too.
                      Patriot fans, check out the newest, and best, Patriot Fan Forum on the net. Lots of good stuff.

Comment

I just don't like how people keep brushing it off as "he'll work out of it"
                        The more you are in a slump - the lower your confidence, and more you try to "push it" the deeper you get into the slump.
                        Like quicksand ("The Replacements" anybody? )

I think he would do with a few days off just practicing, watching videos and seeing what he's doing wrong

Comment

Have any of you noticed that he was slumping from when his jersey was buried until it was dug up.

Comment

Originally posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
                            Have any of you noticed that he was slumping from when his jersey was buried until it was dug up.
                            Does that mean that the Teamsters Union will do better if they find, and dig up Jimmy Hoffa?
                            Patriot fans, check out the newest, and best, Patriot Fan Forum on the net. Lots of good stuff.

Comment

It was good to see that beaming smile last night. It was funny how he got the cold shoulder in the dugout after the GS, but then everyone pounced on him, like a rookie with his first homer finally under his belt.
                              --Annie
                              Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                              Remember Yellowdog
                              ABNY

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X